Mandatory PDC?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tumface wrote: I'm using REAPER now, and I noticed its minimum PDC size is 128 or something, so anything that u-he touches in my projects end up with fat latency. Does REAPER always call VSTs with a consistent size? Is there a way I can disable PDC requirement?
Not sure if this will help but you can disable PDC in Reaper for plugins.
Right-click on the "2 out" button.

any news here? :oops:

xx JPRacer xx wrote:Why don't you just remove the latency Urs?

I think every hosts (except maybe obscure ones) won't have problems.
Because the CPU consumption would go thru the roof maybe ?

according to another thread, it's more like a compatibility issue:
"I process everything in blocks of 16 samples. This allows me to do optimisations that otherwise would easily yield 2-3 times the cpu usage for the same algorithm.

Why do I need latency for this? - Because some hosts are so "smart" to outsmart badly designed plugins and process them at irregular buffer sizes. If every host would just use geek-friendly 16-float aligned buffersizes such as 32, 64, 256, 512, 2048 then there would not be a need for any latency."
from: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... cy#3707807

Dr.Gunjah wrote:according to another thread, it's more like a compatibility issue:
"I process everything in blocks of 16 samples. This allows me to do optimisations that otherwise would easily yield 2-3 times the cpu usage for the same algorithm.

Why do I need latency for this? - Because some hosts are so "smart" to outsmart badly designed plugins and process them at irregular buffer sizes. If every host would just use geek-friendly 16-float aligned buffersizes such as 32, 64, 256, 512, 2048 then there would not be a need for any latency."
from: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... cy#3707807
or 96, in my case :)

it would be great to lose the PDC when its not needed,

Subz

Urs wrote:IF your host does buffer sizes that are a multiple of 16 (32/64/128/160 etc.) then you can disable the latency in my plugins:

- save a preset called "default.h2p" right after opening a fresh instance (so it goes in the root preset folder)

- open that preset file in Textedit/Wordpad

- on the first free line of text, add "!BLOCK_LATENCY_OFF=YES", without the quotes

- repeat for every plugin

- restart host

Now Uhbiks/Zebra should work without latency. Hopefully.

Cheers,

;) Urs
I think the confusing part is "on the first free line of text".
It should maybe read: "on the first free line of text after the header" ?

It works here if I put the "!BLOCK_LATENCY_OFF=YES" after the */ of the Author/Description block like this:

Code: Select all

/*@meta

Author:
'Thomas Helzle'

Description:
'disable Latency\r\n'

*/
!BLOCK_LATENCY_OFF=YES
#AM=Uhbik-A
#Vers=10300
Bitwig Studio no longer reports Latency now. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I'm not able to get this to work with Uhbik. Hmmmm
Here's the first few lines of the default preset. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

/*@meta

Author:
'u-he'

*/
!BLOCK_LATENCY_OFF=YES
#AM=Runciter
#Vers=10003
#Endian=little

Thanks!

Ah... I think that setting has changed with last August's release. It should now be in the actual preferences file and it's called "Base Latency Buffer 16".

Locate your com.u-he.Runciter.Preferences.txt and either add this line (or set it from YES to NO):

V_PROPERTY name='Preference' id='0' value='AudioPrefs:BaseLatencyBuffer16:NO'

This should do the trick. Please let me know if it doesn't...

That said, if we weren't drowning in work, we'd already have released a UI update to Uhbik that features our new preferences panel. Hmmm, I think this should have climbed up pretty high on our priority list, maybe after upcoming Satin/Presswerk updates.

Does this only change the reporting of the PDC or does it actually reduce latency?

Chris-S wrote:Does this only change the reporting of the PDC or does it actually reduce latency?
It does both. But it only works with hosts/drivers that support buffersizes that are a multiple of 16 samples. Any buffersize of 16, 32, 64, ... 128 ... 256, 272 ... 16000 will do as long as it can be divided by 16.

where can i find the com.u-he.Runciter.Preferences.txt file ?
i am on win7.
does it work with all your synth ?

Honestly, I'm not sure what the state of this is - maybe someone else can chime in next week as most of the staff took off for a long weekend (public holiday today). I think all of our plug-ins have these files in their support location (see user guide). If they don't, maybe create them or copy/rename/edit them from Bazille/Hive/Diva. They're just plain text files.

Urs wrote: Locate your com.u-he.Runciter.Preferences.txt and either add this line (or set it from YES to NO):
Unfortunately I couldn't find that file. Looked in my user Library and the top-level Library. And did a search, hmmmm

Urs wrote:Ah... I think that setting has changed with last August's release. It should now be in the actual preferences file and it's called "Base Latency Buffer 16".
For REAPER this doesn't really help :(

On looping there is a chance (depending on loop duration) your plugins will say

"Base Latency was reset to the default setting of 16 samples due to your host sending irregular buffer sizes."

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p6344436

Return to “u-he”