Open hihats & shaker groove

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,
how to create the drum groove of modern deephouse beats?
Every help is highly welcomed.
Last edited by Felix Sonne on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Few things I noticed...

Firstly, it sounds like you'd need to either record it acoustically or change the velocity for each note to make it sound more real.
Secondly, it sounds like a "Shika, sh-shika-sha" type pattern, if that's any help...
Thirdly, and this is just an idea, but see if you can find a "humanize" option somewhere on your DAW. Studio One has this, you can download the Prime version if you want to try it.(No, I'm not being paid by Presonus. :P )
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Thanks for the answer. How would that "Shika, sh-shika-sha" pattern look like as a midi sequence. Could you please post a screenshot?

In the second video it's more somme HH coupled with a reverse sound, wich can be mistaken with a shaker.

Anyway, in this video I'm showing some little tricks to properly program shakers, reverse sounds etc. ( Even if it's every easy to do this with StiX drum machine, you should be able to adapt some of these techniques with most Daws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hDUXNvJ1s

Hope it helps.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

thanks for all answer so far. the video is very good.

First: Sounds like loop from Vengeance Samples and I guess it's just taken just from there and original loop sample was ripped from some old record.
Second: to make some groove you can't stick to hard grid 1/16. Use 'swing' 'shuffle' or other option in your sequencer to shift notes slightly in time or just witch grid off and then move notes around. Groove is not equal to perfect quantize.
Third: play with velocity and add some distortion, heavy compression to make shakers dirty and then cut low and some mid frequencies

pixel85 wrote:First: Sounds like loop from Vengeance Samples and I guess it's just taken just from there and original loop sample was ripped from some old record.

Second: to make some groove you can't stick to hard grid 1/16. Use 'swing' 'shuffle' or other option in your sequencer to shift notes slightly in time or just witch grid off and then move notes around. Groove is not equal to perfect quantize.

Third: play with velocity and add some distortion, heavy compression to make shakers dirty and then cut low and some mid frequencies
Thanks! That was helpful! I will try that out.

If you use Ableton, you can apply the groove function to the hi hats to make the patterns sound less stiff. If you don't have Ableton, just manually drag the clip out of grid a little.

Also adjust different velocities on the hats/shakers to humanize the feel. Sounds like the open hat is emphasized on the offbeats

Return to “Production Techniques”