is it weird? (vintage Plugins)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!
I was monkeying around on fl studio 12.
Decided to break out Albino 3. It still works!
I was just screwing around and made a great fm bass.
On my previous track I added Slayer2_FX to some strings and tossed them on an automation clip.

I Love these plugs. Is it strange that I still use these actively?
Thanks!
--Joshua :)
Pay $1,000 for a sequencer? ummm... no
I'm going to have to disagree with you there...

yes!
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

No!

No!
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

If it works, and you like the sound, use it, and bugger whatever anyone else says! :tu:

Ayorinde wrote:If it works, and you like the sound, use it, and bugger whatever anyone else says! :tu:
Surely you can use it without the need of buggering anybody :shock:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:If it works, and you like the sound, use it, and bugger whatever anyone else says! :tu:
Surely you can use it without the need of buggering anybody :shock:
Spoilsport! :D

Seriously, if you like the way something sounds, go for it, without worrying about what other people think.

Nielzie wrote:yes!
Ayorinde wrote:No!
Mushy Mushy wrote:No!
I say yes. :)

I'm still using my HGFortune synths, using them through jbridge now days, but I like them.
Only sad that there will never be any new ones from him.

So yea man, if it makes you happy then use what ever you want.
Bang on pots and pans if that's what gets the job done for ya. :hihi:
The source is just the paint, it's up to you as to how you apply it to the canvas. :tu:
Digital Studio: Studio One Pro 3, and too many plugins to list
Tools: '09 Epi' Dot Studio, '10 Epi' Les Paul Studio, '97 Fender Strat, 2015 PRS SE Standard 24, Martin OMC-18E.
Toys: Peavey Solo, Crate GFX30, VOX AD30VT, Digitech RP500, Line 6 HD500X

Perhaps I'm too simple. It may very well be that I'm a fool. It could also be that I'm not as discriminating as my betters here and elsewhere. Maybe I just have a crappy ear and crappy taste. But, even though I've been mussing about with computer-based music creation for around about 12 years now.... I still dig the sound of the simple and positively ancient (by these standards) mda JX-10 vst.
Really. It honestly still sounds super cool to me, so I still use it and mess about with it. I'm not ashamed (despite the multiple caveats listed above). :D

Heck, there are even some super old and simple SynthEdit synths from way back I still love and use like the Oberon Poly-8. :ud:

Of course (in at least an attempt to put things in the context of my own perspective), I think videos I've seen on YouTube wherein folks take synths that are not generally highly regarded and make a full track with either no fx or "just a little bit of reverb and delay" are amazing and sound every bit as awesome and professional to me as tracks that most regard as being 'actually' "professional".
Stuff like this track made just and only with the lil ol' Casio HT-700 for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehn1f3OfSh4

So, in other words: take my taste and view with many multiple grains of super-sized salt.
Last edited by MachFront on Thu May 05, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Then again, if someone said to me: "Here, Eric. I bought you a new MacBook Pro and a copy of Logic and also got you Dune and Zebra." I'd say: "Nah. That's cool. I'll keep my old, simple lil netbook and REAPER and Synth1, Dexed, OBXD, et al. Thanks, though. This is more fun and stress-free." :shrug:
Yeah. I know. I'm mad.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

chk071 wrote:I say yes. :)
Nielzie wrote:yes!
Don't listen to them. What you use on your time to create what you want is your business. Besides, what would be cooler if someone asked you how you made a certain sound, telling them you did it with Massive or Serum, or with a 14 year old plugin that they've never heard of? What would make you more proud of the final product? :phones:

(That HT-700 video is really something, I oughta do a DX11 track sometime)
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Not even remotely weird! Plugins/software don't magically change or become "vintage". Some algorithms improve over time, but there's nothing inherently different in a meaningful way between a synth written 20 years ago and one written last week. If it sounded good 20 years ago, it still sounds good now, no weirdness, just the nature of software vs circuits!

jammer42777 wrote:Hi!
I was monkeying around on fl studio 12.
Decided to break out Albino 3. It still works!
I was just screwing around and made a great fm bass.
On my previous track I added Slayer2_FX to some strings and tossed them on an automation clip.

I Love these plugs. Is it strange that I still use these actively?
Thanks!
--Joshua :)
What, Albino 3 and FL stock plugin, tell that to these http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=177407 guys, they will have a good one :lol:
MachFront wrote:Of course (in at least an attempt to put things in the context of my own perspective), I think videos I've seen on YouTube wherein folks take synths that are not generally highly regarded and make a full track with either no fx or "just a little bit of reverb and delay" are amazing and sound every bit as awesome and professional to me as tracks that most regard as being 'actually' "professional".
Stuff like this track made just and only with the lil ol' Casio HT-700 for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehn1f3OfSh4
And it sounds just like it, think One Synth Challenge proved long ago that is possible to make full blown great sounding diverse genre tracks using nothing else than one freebie and few effects and pretty much majority of people here think the same, just they have their own personal preference when it comes to their own music.
MachFront wrote:Then again, if someone said to me: "Here, Eric. I bought you a new MacBook Pro and a copy of Logic and also got you Dune and Zebra." I'd say: "Nah. That's cool. I'll keep my old, simple lil netbook and REAPER and Synth1, Dexed, OBXD, et al. Thanks, though. This is more fun and stress-free." :shrug:
Yeah. I know. I'm mad.
Not at all, really don't think there's many people here that think you are, we all use what we like, being that same old decade old setup and tech or newest, whatever get you trough day and track.

That would happened to me too (except I wouldn't mind getting new Macbook or Mac Pro), just now I had smile like a little kid after demoing some Windows DAW's and getting back to Logic, still have same spark from day 1 all this time, same goes for OS X, feeling pure joy just looking at them, working with them is beyond awesome for me, so understand for sure how you feel. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

nO. nOT wEEEEERD.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”