What Are Top Best Software Digital Synths Ever?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It depends by what criteria you measure it. Most well known? Most popular? Personal favourites? The only softsynth I'ved ever used that comes close to the sound of a DX range synth is Bigtick Rhino (please don't mention FM7/8 - sounds nothing like a DX!). That makes it one of the best ever for me.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Yep Rhino is also nice sounding, with lot of good worked presets.
And don`t forget Xhip! Esspecially the next generation seems to become very nice
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

FM:
- NI FM8
- Tone2 Nemesis
- Dexed (freeware)

Wavetable:
- Waldorf Nave
- Waldorf Largo
- Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V
- Tone2 Icarus (not officially released yet)
- UVI Falcon (of course Falcon could do a lot more than only wavetable synthesis)

Vector synthesis/Wave sequencing:
- Korg Wavestation plugin
- Prophet VS + Hybrid synth in Arturia Prophet V

unique digital synths:
- Hamburg Audio Nuklear
- Tone2 Rayblaster

Both Icarus and Nemesis allow simple additive Resynthesis (simple as the is no dedicated envelope for each partial like in e.g. Alchemy) and editing waveforms with an additive style editor (where Icarus has a lot more partials for editing).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I always wondered why waveshaping synths are not more common and popular. Something like Z3TA 2, but with better filters, and with a bit better overall sound would be great to have. It's really flexible, fun to tweak, modulating the waveshaping elements gives a nice movement. There's really so much gain from that form of synthesis. Hope some company will pick up the ball, and bring out a nice waveshaping synth soon.

chk071 wrote:I always wondered why waveshaping synths are not more common and popular. Something like Z3TA 2, but with better filters, and with a bit better overall sound would be great to have. It's really flexible, fun to tweak, modulating the waveshaping elements gives a nice movement. There's really so much gain from that form of synthesis. Hope some company will pick up the ball, and bring out a nice waveshaping synth soon.
Did you try Diversion? It does waveshaping among other things. And it definitely has good filters.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Funnily, i listened to a demo of Diversion yesterday, and really liked it. :) Gotta give the demo a try i guess.

Phantom
Augur
Bazille
Dune2
VirtualCZ

I totally misunderstood the OP's criteria. I thought he wanted all of that in one synth. The closest thing I could think of was MPowersynth. Now that I understand, I'd like to edit my list of one. LOL.

Wavetable

Serum
Nave

FM

FM8

Phase Distortion

Bazille

Other Stuff

MPowersynth (most overall digital sounding synth)
Cycle (most unusual sound engine)
Harmor
Rayblaster
Wavemapper 2

N. I. Absynth
Waldorf Nave

chk071 wrote: Gotta give the demo a try i guess.
Yeah, you totally should. One of the best sounding "purely digital" digital synths imo, if you have Spire and like it (iirc, you do) Diversion would be great addition as there is some vague similarity in the overal sound character but not much actual overlap.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

TVD wrote:By digital, I mean the following....

1. Frequency Modulation [FM]
2. Waveable
3. Phrase Modulation [PM]
4. Additive

In other words, it's NOT analogue/analog at all. The digital synths can be freeware or commercial ware.

Thank you in advance. :)
Nice one! I like this question and already know (almost) the answer within my collection ;)

1. FM8
2. Blofeld (Largo) - But sometimes I prefer Massive, so it is between those two monsters :hihi:
3. Bazille (Phase Modulation)
4. Razor
Last edited by EnGee on Fri May 06, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seems no one mentioned Dune2, which is capable of additive and FM synthesis. Besides of that you can load up wave tables. Dune 2 have pretty much all that fits the bill.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:Seems no one mentioned Dune2
Yes they have.

AnX wrote:
ATN69 wrote:Seems no one mentioned Dune2
Yes they have.
Ups! Sorry, I missed it was in your list :D
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Zebra2
Dune2
Imposcar2
Alchemy

Return to “Instruments”