Who will and will not be around in 10 years?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UncleAge wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
UncleAge wrote:Will there be a big enough demand for desktop computers in 10 years is a more relevant question imo.
The other day I saw a computer chronicle prog from the early 90's about the rise of the laptops, and the decline of the desktops

More than 20 years later the desktops are still here...
True, but laptops have a much larger share of the market now than they did 20 years ago.
Desktops are still much better to work with in many cases though, so i doubt they will disappear very soon. The question is rather, how long does it take for virtual reality goggles to take the place of conventional displays. There's a big potential arising there IMO.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:CAD/CAM and Graphics will still need the high power of desktops as well.
Agreed.

UncleAge wrote:Will there be a big enough demand for desktop computers in 10 years is a more relevant question imo.
Probably more (demand) then there was 20 years ago.

According to my extensive research (over the past five seconds), there are a lot more people in the world now than there were in 1996. The market has not grown static, or diminished in any way. It has in fact expanded.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

chk071 wrote:Desktops are still much better to work with in many cases though.
But what is a desktop, it just means that a keyboard, mouse and screen is to be connected to computer power.

I use my latop as a desktop most of the time.

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:Desktops are still much better to work with in many cases though.
But what is a desktop, it just means that a keyboard, mouse and screen is to be connected to computer power.

I use my latop as a desktop most of the time.
A/some laptop(s) can be more "desktop" than a(/certain) desktop(s). There's so much crossover these days... but when I think of a desktop, I think of a "modular" device.

I consider a "desktop" a stationary computer, which you can't move around quickly, e.g. large display, or big pc case. In contrast to a notebook or mobile device, which you can literally take everywhere.

chk071 wrote:I consider a "desktop" a stationary computer, which you can't move around quickly, e.g. large display, or big pc case. In contrast to a notebook or mobile device, which you can literally take everywhere.
So basically, a desktop is anything without a screen built-in? Because mobility is relative - I can take a Zotac box (or NUC, etc), keyboard/mouse, and small LCD anywhere too. And with a car, size/weight isn't that much of an issue, even when transporting a huge case and 27" display. :wink:

Taco bell will own everything.

Questions like this are a waste of time. I can't be bothered using any brain cells or thought processes contemplating the future of devs. As long as the product is installed on my computer and continues to work I will use it. I have never benefited from their alleged "support" so if they cease to exist it has zero effect in my world. My time is better spent on things I have some measure of control over like making music.

I'm sure when mobile internet becomes cheaper and faster, coupled with a playing field levelling price to performance ratio in the hardware, personal computing for the masses will definitely move away from the static workstation model.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

OutCider wrote:personal computing for the masses will definitely move away from the static workstation model.
"personal computing for the masses" is a lot newer than just personal computing.

T-CM11 wrote:
chk071 wrote:I consider a "desktop" a stationary computer, which you can't move around quickly, e.g. large display, or big pc case. In contrast to a notebook or mobile device, which you can literally take everywhere.
So basically, a desktop is anything without a screen built-in? Because mobility is relative - I can take a Zotac box (or NUC, etc), keyboard/mouse, and small LCD anywhere too. And with a car, size/weight isn't that much of an issue, even when transporting a huge case and 27" display. :wink:
Sure, but you probably wouldn't carry a 27" with an integrated PC to the doctor's waiting room, or to university. :P Well, there's a wide definition of what could be considered a "desktop PC", but the most important thing for me is that notebooks or tablet PC's usually can be carried around, and taken everywhere, while desktop PC's can't. Also, in a desktop PC, there's no need to compromise processing power with battery duration, or lack of cooling.

T-CM11 wrote:
OutCider wrote:personal computing for the masses will definitely move away from the static workstation model.
"personal computing for the masses" is a lot newer than just personal computing.
Pardon?
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

OutCider wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Pardon?
Offices/universities/geeks (80s/90s/early 2000s) aren't what I would call "the masses".

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”