Who will and will not be around in 10 years?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But everyone with a desktop pc at home, in the here and now, definitively are the unashamed 'masses'.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

OutCider wrote:But everyone with a pc at home is unashamedly 'the masses'.
Owning a PC makes you part of the masses, even when you're the only one... interesting definition of 'masses'. :P

I predict that, in 10 years, none of us will be any better at predicting the future than we are now.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:I predict that, in 10 years, none of us will be any better at predicting the future than we are now.
I predict that, in 10 years, you'll be predicting... exactly the same thing. :D

Seconded
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The debate about desktop pcs being superseded. As most pcs are owned domestically, in the home, and as sales figures show they are by a majority desktop based, the focus is them everyday users - The masses.

Whatever your argument is about, I'm confident the desktop will ultimately die off to be replaced by portable units.
Though retro acts may still use full tower cased monsters for effect and nostalgic sentiment.

cryophonik wrote:I predict that, in 10 years, none of us will be any better at predicting the future than we are now.
10 years from now I will be much better at predicting what is happening then than I am today :hihi:

OutCider wrote:I'm confident the desktop will ultimately die off to be replaced by portable units.
Like record players died off to be replaced by cd players, mp3 players, etc.?

T-CM11 wrote:
OutCider wrote:I'm confident the desktop will ultimately die off to be replaced by portable units.
Yes, exactly like that. :tu:
Compare sales figures of decks pre cd/mp3 with now and in any sales ledger it will be a mass of red.
Like some still manufacture record players now, some will make desktops, but it will comparatively speaking, be death by any other name.

OutCider wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Yes, exactly like that.
Compare sales figures of decks pre cd/mp3 with now and in any sales ledger it will be a mass of red.
Like some still manufacture record players now, some will make desktops, but it will comparatively speaking, be death by any other name.
But that small minority of a few million people won't care about any of that. You sound like a salesman. They're being made and people are still using/enjoying them - that's all that matters for me.

It doesn't matter if they won't care, the fact is the world will move on regardless of them.
Mobile will be the main method of computing for 'the masses'. The trend is there already. All that's needed now is equal performance at the right price and a shift in mentality away from home based high end pcs will snowball.

Not that I mind, but you sound like someone arguing for the sake of it. :lol:

UncleAge wrote:I find that to be confusing as well. The fact that cloud computing is growing in acceptance by leaps and bounds while chip developers seek to add more cores to cpu's. Just for gamers? I mean I highly doubt the business community cares to have 10-core cpu's. Can the chip manufacturers make their money back just from the that crowd who must have the "state-of-the-art" rig?
Yes, for gamers and video. Check Newegg, they sell lots of computers targeted exclusively for gamers. The Mac Pro is targeted almost exclusively for video and graphics. Furthermore, if you're a CPU maker, you might be selling to militaries and industry. All of this applies Internationally, as well.

320 million people in America. If we conservatively say 1 in 10,000 Americans buys the new processor, that's around $20 million going to Intel just from sales to American consumers, all for a product that has almost no manufacturing cost.

OutCider wrote:It doesn't matter if they won't care, the fact is the world will move on regardless of them.
Mobile will be the main method of computing for 'the masses'. The trend is there already. All that's needed now is equal performance at the right price and a shift in mentality away from home based high end pcs will snowball.
You're completely right, it's already happened. But it doesn't matter because the relatively small number of people who want a performance desktop is still enough to be worth developing for.

(edit) meh

I predict that most of us will still be writing music as much as some may think we will have already quit - long live the passion of music and the money pit it is :D

beatmangler443 wrote:I was thinking about the future and I was wondering where you see companies like:
-Apple
-Presonus
-Motu
-Native Instruments
-Cockos
-Cakewalk
-Steinberg

Do you see any of these companies folding in the future?
Nope.
Will they continue will develop of their DAW?
Yep.
Where do you see your favorite DAW down the line?
If anyone has maschine I am curious to know how you see it long term?
For studio one how do you see it long term?
More hardware integration down the line?
Maybe they add notation and video editing stuff etc.
Maybe.

She might know:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”