Auto-detect using loopback: Negative delay - am I nuts?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi:

Slowly getting T7 to work (have upgraded from T2, so I am conservative, but T7 is really growing on me).

I am about to start doing overdubs, and I read the part in Bill Edstrom's guide on Calibrating Input Latency Compensation. So I did everything, and made a loopback from my audio card's speaker out to input (one channel at the time). I use a NI Komplete Audio 6. Windows 7, 256 samples, 44100 Hz.

I got the message "A delay of -2.4 miliseconds was detected". :o For both channels. Is this meaningful at all?

Any comments most welcome. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers, Kirneh
Amateur guitarist and producer. Long time friend of Tracktion 2, numerous plugins but, in particular, playing real electric guitar and Moog hardware.

That value is the correction for recording sync against the delay for your buffer setting. So it's not going back in time it is subtracting it from the buffer to perfectly aligns overdubbed parts. You're not nuts!

Bill

Thanks Bill!!! I was beginning to dream about hearing stuff before I played them :-)
Amateur guitarist and producer. Long time friend of Tracktion 2, numerous plugins but, in particular, playing real electric guitar and Moog hardware.

If only one could record what one hears in your head, without actually having to play it !
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Kirneh Ness wrote:Thanks Bill!!! I was beginning to dream about hearing stuff before I played them :-)
I commend you for running the loopback! It really makes overdubs feel tighter when working in Tracktion.

gigazaga wrote:That value is the correction for recording sync against the delay for your buffer setting. So it's not going back in time it is subtracting it from the buffer to perfectly aligns overdubbed parts. You're not nuts!

Bill
I'm having the same issue of a negative delay detected when running the auto detect. I seem to have to disagree on that with you Bill, because:

1) in your screenshots in "Guide to Tracktion T7" it clearly shows a positive delay value of +12.5ms (ok that is a screenshot of T6 actually, but I don't think they switched signs in T7)
2) for me the absolute same negative value is detected when I even don't connect any signal to the respective input at all

So this looks more like a bug or something I am doing wrong. Me doing something wrong however is somewhat hard to believe, because I'm actually even seeing the test signal coming in on the respective input meter in T7 (the one in the settings tab right below the auto detect button) when I hit the "Run Test" button.

Any help?
MidiN

MidiN wrote: 2) for me the absolute same negative value is detected when I even don't connect any signal to the respective input at all
If you don't connect any output to your input, and run the test, you will get this error message. If you don't see this popup, you're doing something weird, but I'm not sure what it might be ...
trackt.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

If you DON'T intentionally loop back and are getting timing values, it's possible there is another "loopback" somewhere in the system which may actually be unintentional - for instance, the built-in microphone on many laptops. If you "hear" the pulse during the test then the microphone probably does as well, so you may be doing audio adjustment based on that, rather than the expected audio input device.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Thanks all for pointing me into the right direction.
It was this setting in my audio iterfaces's mixing panel causing the internal loopback:
Unbenannt.png
Having disabled that, I get the proper Error Message chico was showing.
The rest should be a piece of cake :wink:
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tracktion”