Double tracking - Are different samples used? Can I route each track out of Kontakt?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi again. Hope you don't mind me making another thread!

I'm wondering about the double tracking feature. Firstly, are actual different samples used in double tracking, triple tracking, and quad tracking to give it a realistic tracked sound or is it just tricking the ear making it seem like it's tracked by delaying the same sample slightly?

Also, am I able to route them out of kontakt to separate tracks in my DAW, so I can apply effects such as amp simulations? I have Shreddage too and i'm able to route them out of Kontakt because two instances of Shreddage are added into kontakt, which makes it pretty simple to route out. But with Strawberry, it's a bit more difficult because i'm just using one instance of it.

Thanks!

There are several things going on with the multitracking:

- The notes for each track are randomly delayed, based on the multitrack humanization setting.
- Different round-robin samples are used to add more variety. In triple/quad tracking, it's more reliant on the random delay for the tripled/quadrupled sound.

I'm thinking of adding a "pick position humanization" control that would add even more variation--this would benefit single guitar tracks as well.

There's a multitrack output setting right beneath, where you can set whether the multitracking is automatically panned or sent out sequential audio outputs. The latter mode automatically disables all the effects, since you'd be using your own plugins in that situation. If you don't see this setting, go to the downloads section of your account on the Orange Tree Samples website and make sure you get the very latest engine files.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Hey Greg, thanks again for the quick reply!

Right okay. So when you say 'different round-robin samples', I presume these are totally different samples of the same note? So if I was to adjust the multitrack humanization setting to zero so it's as tight as it can be, I'll still get a true double tracked sound because they're different samples?

Ooh that's a pretty cool idea about the pick position humanization. Nice.

I'm having some trouble with routing each track out of kontakt in pro tools. Would you say it's better to have kontakt and strawberry on a Mono or Stereo track if i'm routing out to separate mono tracks? I ask because when I set strawberry to send each track out to audio outputs, strawberry sends the other doubled track to a stereo output according to Kontakt's output section. I'm having some trouble in pro tools getting the second output on a mono track. Hmm you might not be able to help me with this as I don't think you use pro tools.

That's correct, the different round-robin samples are completely different samples of the same note. With the humanization (random delay between parts) set to zero, you would still get a true double-tracked sound because they're different samples. With triple and quadruple tracking, that's where a little bit of humanization is necessary, otherwise there isn't enough round-robin to go around.

Each DAW handles output routing a little differently. The best way to start is with Kontakt's audio output panel open. Evolution Strawberry will output each track to different output channels, left to right. Watch the audio meters to ensure that you're getting audio on two outputs (in the case of double-tracking). Once you've verified that, check the actual hardware output that Kontakt has assigned to that particular output (using the button right below the output level slider / meter). Kontakt calls each channel things like "aux 1", "aux 2", etc., but those are just nicknames for the outputs.

What really matters in order to get the audio into a channel in your DAW is that you have Kontakt sending that audio channel to the same hardware output that you have set as the input for the audio track in Pro Tools.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”