Tracktion Linux Disappears!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using Tracktion Linux 7.1.1 on Mint 17.3. Up till now, it has been working perfectly.

This morning, the startup dialog appeared for about 2 seconds, then T dissappeared! Don't know why, I haven't done any updates or added/deleted any programs for over a week now.

Any ideas? Thanks

try to start it from the command line : open a terminal, type tracktion then return, and see wat happens
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:try to start it from the command line : open a terminal, type tracktion then return, and see wat happens
All I get is "command not found"

Typing 'tracktion' will probably not work. For me, it's 'Tracktion6' and it might be 'Tracktion7' for you. If there is any icon you click to launch it, right-click it, select Properties and find out what the command really is.

That problem happens to me quite often. My fix is to kill and restart jackdbus and launch Tracktion. Even after doing that, I may have to launch Tracktion 2, 3 or 4 times because it keeps crashing for a while. Then it will certainly crash about a dozen times in one or two hours of using it. I love Tracktion, but it's terribly unstable on Linux. I feel like I'm on Windows 95 again when I use it.

lmv wrote:Typing 'tracktion' will probably not work. For me, it's 'Tracktion6' and it might be 'Tracktion7' for you. If there is any icon you click to launch it, right-click it, select Properties and find out what the command really is.
I tried typing Tracktion7 and it's variations at the cli.

I also tried right clicking on the icon advice, but it didn't change any thing.
That problem happens to me quite often. My fix is to kill and restart jackdbus and launch Tracktion. Even after doing that, I may have to launch Tracktion 2, 3 or 4 times because it keeps crashing for a while. Then it will certainly crash about a dozen times in one or two hours of using it.
I also tried restarting jack and starting T by itself without jack-just to see if it would start up; but again nothing changed.
I love Tracktion, but it's terribly unstable on Linux. I feel like I'm on Windows 95 again when I use it.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you. I'm on the verge of dumping Tracktion and buying/using Bitwig. Tracktion on Linux is NOT ready for prime time! :roll:

Cheers

Doug

Doug B wrote:I tried typing Tracktion7 and it's variations at the cli.
I also tried right clicking on the icon advice, but it didn't change any thing.
The way you describe your action ("it didn't change anything") is suspicious. It is not supposed to "change" anything. Did you just right click the icon or did you also open Properties (or something similar on Mint, I'm on Debian) and find out what the command is? It has to be there somewhere.

How do you install applications on Mint? Do you have Synaptic? If you do, you might try to find Tracktion there and click the "Installed Files" tab. On that list, I see:

Obviously, the command is /usr/bin/Tracktion6 or just simply Tracktion6.

Anyways, you can also go straight to the log file. On my machine, it's ~/.config/Tracktion4/Temporary/Tracktion6Log.txt. It should be something similar for T7.

lmv wrote: The way you describe your action ("it didn't change anything") is suspicious. It is not supposed to "change" anything. Did you just right click the icon or did you also open Properties (or something similar on Mint, I'm on Debian) and find out what the command is? It has to be there somewhere.
"it didn't change anything" simply meant that the error remains, same as I originally reported it. Nothing 'suspicious' about it. I started the menu, the desktop icon and right clicking to find the command.

Believe it or not, you're suggestions do not work to start the program.
How do you install applications on Mint? Do you have Synaptic? If you do, you might try to find Tracktion there and click the "Installed Files" tab.
I download the T file and install with gdebi. It worked the first time I installed Tracktion.
Obviously, the command is /usr/bin/Tracktion6 or just simply Tracktion6.
Obviously. And just as obviously I have tried this and it doesn't start the program!

No. It's only obvious to me, because I have the list of files that Tracktion has installed and I can just check which one is in /usr/bin. It won't be obvious to you until you get a list of files that Tracktion installed in *your* system.

Let's try it another way: open a terminal, type 'Trackt' and press Tab twice. The shell should complete the command for you. If nothing turns up, try 'trackt' with a small case 't'. If nothing turns up, I give up. Wait until someone who has T7 tells you where the executable is or check whether Tracktion is still installed in your system.

You might find some information in the tracktion logfile.
Its located in /home/yourname/.config/Tracktion4/Temporary/

(and yes, that directorys name is Tracktion4 no matter what version you run)
"Ubuntu Studio 16.04 with KXStudio"

Return to “Tracktion”