Tone2 will release Icarus - 3D WaveTable Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Tue May 24, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lighten up, ad promo is hardly a reason to buy (or not) buy something. wait for the demo, check it out. if you like it, you can buy it (or not). i like hanging out on this forum, but so many pointless posts; people who hate synths they never try, who make judgements based on...nothing tangible. zzzzzzzzzzz.....

I don't think the judgements are based on nothing. They are based on the audio demos. Now if the audio demos means nothing, then why posting them?

If someone judged my pans based on samples of food prepared by me, they would never buy them. I can let you taste some food made by me just to show that food can be cooked in a certain pan, but the pan will cook the food that YOU prepare. Whether that's good or not is up to you. However, I can't give you samples of food that you will prepare, because I am not you. To find out what food you can prepare, you will have to try the pan out for yourself and see if it is OK for the food YOU want to cook. Saying you don't want to try a pan because you tasted samples of food made by others with it IS expressing judgements based on nothing.
A synthesizer is not a gong, which has one sound (more or less, as even that depends on who strikes it), a synth is an infinite source of different sounds that can be entirely different according to who programs them.
Personally, I have never (and I do mean NEVER) heard any demo track for any instrument at all that made me think "I want this synth". In fact, quite the opposite.
Last edited by Mac of BIOnighT on Tue May 24, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote:I don't think the judgements are based on nothing. They are based on the audio demos. Now if the audio demos means nothing, then why posting them?
everything matters. all i'm saying is...try the demo. see for yourself if something is right for you or not. otherwise, it's like people who hatee a movie who've never actually seen it. make a judgement based on what something actually feels like, sounds like, when you use it...

Here is a list of the advanced Osc modes, also called "Morph modes" that could produce some quite complex results in combination with the current wavetable in the selected Osc (each Osc could have a different Morph mode):

- None (= Standard mode)
- Formant
- Formant Cross
- Ringmod Fade
- Ringmod Key
- Ringmod
- AM Fade
- AM Key
- AM
- Waveshape
- FM Sine
- FM Sine 2x
- FM Sine 3x
- FM Square
- FM Saw
- Sync Sqúare Key
- Sync Square
- Sync Saw Key
- Sync Saw
- Harmonic Key
- Harmonic
- Hollow1 Key
- Hollow2 Key
- Hollow3 Key
- Hollow4 Key
- Hollow
- Lowpass Fade
- Highpass Fade
- Highpass
- Bandpass 1oct
- Bandpass 2oct
- Bandstop 1oct
- Bandstop 2oct
- Sine Fade
- F0 Cut Fade
- PW
- Comb 2x
- Comb 3x
- PhaseDist PW
- PhaseDist Saw
- PhaseDist Square
- PhaseDist Double
- Mirror
- Stack Octave+
- Stack Octave-
- Stack Harmonic+
- Stack Harmonic-
- Stack Power
- Chord 2x
- Chord 3x
- Interval
- Grunge
- Jodel Chip
- Noise White
- Noise Pink
- Noise Tuned
- Spirit
- Analog
- Low CPU
- Aliasing
- Vocoder
- Granulator
- One Shot

Those wit a "Key" at the end sem to use keytracking for using that feature.

Each mode has a morphable parameter using the "Morph" knob that could be also modulated.

The FM, Sync and Phase Distortion modes additionally to the current waveform in the wavetable do use an additional oscillator instead of using another of the 3 main oscillators (which means it does not work to do e.g. FM between 2 wavetables). The waveform of teadditinal oscillator is usually shown in the name of the Morph mode (e.g. "FM Square"). The FM should be "real" FM like in the NeoFM modes in Nemesis.

With most of those modes it is also possible to render the current setting of the Morph knob and teh curent wavetable to a new wavetable wher each waveform of teh wavetable got that Morph mode setting applied. After that you could add another Morph mode to the new wavetable. This could be repeated multiple times to more or less get a completely new wavetable compared to the original one.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Why do you keep putting all this info here? Its pointless... as are the audio demos. When its released, ppl can try it. Until then, all this daft fanboy publicity is just making it look like you are desperate to make this synth sound good.

The demo will tell me if the synth is any good, not drip fed info from the beta team.

Companies like T2 and xils would do well to not release any info on stuff they are about to release, until they are actually about to release this. This charade gets boring very quickly and can really put ppl off a company.

AnX wrote:Why do you keep putting all this info here? Its pointless... as are the audio demos. When its released, ppl can try it. Until then, all this daft fanboy publicity is just making it look like you are desperate to make this synth sound good.
Is it possible to post "too many" informations? I had talked about the Morph modes in the past but only with few examples. I thought it was a nice idea to finally give a list of those now.
Anyway those Morph modes and especially the amount of them are one of the major features of Icarus that also make it a "3D wavetable" synth as described by Tone2 while of course it could be discussed if that term is proper or not (which actually was already discussed long enough in this thread). Anyway modulating both the Wave index and the Morph knob at once indeed could be somehow "3D".
Also that you could render a new wavetable from teh current wavetable and the current setting of teh Morph mode is quite unique and offers lotsof options for tweaking an existing wavetable.

Most of those features/modes also seem to be available directly in the wavetable editor (besides several more...).
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

There you go again, avoid the point and post more useless info. This has been going on since January :dog:

All this pre release spam can be found out by the user by demoing the synth. Where's the demo? I cant make a single sound with a list.

You can list 60 filter types if you want, doesnt tell me a single thing about how they sound or behave.

If i want to know how a new car drives, i test drive it.

AnX wrote: You can list 60 filter types if you want, doesnt tell me a single thing about how they sound or behave.

If i want to know how a new car drives, i test drive it.
I more or lesss agree with the filters but with the Morph modes based on the names it could be more obvious what they do, at least for most of them...

Anyway f you are not interested in what i post here why even comment on it? Somehow this looks like another way of "spamming", as you just used that term for my posts here.
Ingo Weidner

Thing is that my expectations were extremely high. You know, "why a musician must know what Icarus is", "is Icarus the most powerful synthesizer?", "you can replace a wonderful collection of hard- and software instruments with a single synthesizer" + all the vague info "leaked" in this thread. Ofc, nobody ever takes things like that seriously, but for some reason I hoped that if Tone2 outdid themselves in their marketing exaggerations, they should outdo at least themselves in sound quality.

Yet again, what I hear doesn't sound bad at all but It doesn't sound any groundbreaking, I have synths that do the same things better. But it can happen that Icarus is good at some other, yet unheard, kinds of sounds - only the demo will tell.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

ingonator: thanks for the info
kvrist: don't forget : a beta tester is not responsable about any company decisions, people test the soft, list the bugs,make preset, give sugestion but can't say anything about the commercial strategy, mail tone2 for that. don't forget, beta tester ornot, paid or not, we are all passionate.
after that, let's wait to try it, it will be release in one month apparently (Facebook) and after, let's discuss about the sound/features....make comparisons,buy,not buy, all the kvr things ....
another thing, don't forget: marketing is marketing and everybody knows the tone2 style :dog:

' a synth is an infinite source of different sounds'
I think that is called 'hype'.

AnX wrote:Why do you keep putting all this info here? Its pointless... as are the audio demos.
Wait, now even infos and audio demos are pointless? Hell, KVR on a roll. :lol:

Ok, I take it as the demos don't reflect the real ability of Icarus depending on Beta Testers opinions.

In the hardware there are two main Wavetables companies right? Waldorf and Access. Both have produced great synths, but they are different in character. Right?

Going to the software land, and we have so many great synths as well (at least based on some opinions!). Synths like Largo, Massive, Serum, Dune 2, Hybrid 3, Codex, Spire, ...etc.

So how the Beta testers classify Icarus according to the sound characters of the above?

For me, based on the audio demos, I found it very near to Dune 2 and little bit like also Hybrid 3 but not like Largo or Massive for example. Not like Spire or Codex either. So, do the beta testers agree with me? Or am I completely wrong and Icarus can sound like all the above? (just opinions).

Return to “Instruments”