Reason 9 officially announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know what features have been the most requested? And how many of those features will be in version 9? Was there ever a poll on Reason Talk?

Never stops to amaze me when people say say one of the biggest features of reason is cv, failing to realize that any daw has envelope controls, and fl studio even has EXACTLY the same routing system for any vst.

Someone up the thread asked what reason can't do. Off top my head would be: the whole non existent world of granular synthesis, the mini universe on it's own of FFT, decent vocoding. Not to mention things like serum, molekular and harmor that are 10-15 version of reason ahead. I mean resynthesis of your own sounds ( and f**king images)... dude, reason added audio clips two versions ago lol

But if you are in a band making covers of ring's of fire you don't need any of that and with added melodyne reason looks pretty good as a all in one solution for live recorders.

mistmist wrote:Never stops to amaze me when people say say one of the biggest features of reason is cv, failing to realize that any daw has envelope controls, and fl studio even has EXACTLY the same routing system for any vst.
This has confused me as well. I brought it up on one of the reason forums and the response I got was basically 'nuh uh, its totally different'. From my perspective I have yet to see any difference between routing ins/outs of vsts, daw modulation, and other things like m4l LFO's, to the CVs of reason

Not that Im hating on reason, I like the software just fine. It just seems many of its users are completely unaware of what the rest of the audio world can do and still think reason is some special flower

mistmist wrote:Never stops to amaze me when people say say one of the biggest features of reason is cv, failing to realize that any daw has envelope controls, and fl studio even has EXACTLY the same routing system for any vst.

Someone up the thread asked what reason can't do. Off top my head would be: the whole non existent world of granular synthesis, the mini universe on it's own of FFT, decent vocoding. Not to mention things like serum, molekular and harmor that are 10-15 version of reason ahead. I mean resynthesis of your own sounds ( and f**king images)... dude, reason added audio clips two versions ago lol

But if you are in a band making covers of ring's of fire you don't need any of that and with added melodyne reason looks pretty good as a all in one solution for live recorders.
Well there are more to it than that :)

You can use the filter or oscillators or lfo's and effects of another synth directly in a different one and then save it as a combinator.

Add more lfo's in realtime without playback from sequencer needed.
Have a 2.Oscillator synth but want more? Route another synth thru the first one so they share the same envelopes and so on and save it as a combinator afterwards.

What i would love to see in the vst world would be Filter effects with envelopes and extra lfo's that can be assigned to different synth parameters.

You can't have an LFO or envelope from one VST control an oscillator or filter on another vst in FL, can you? CV routing in Reason is fun and lets me be creative in another way than when I use other hosts.

kae wrote:
You can't have an LFO or envelope from one VST control an oscillator or filter on another vst in FL, can you? CV routing in Reason is fun and lets me be creative in another way than when I use other hosts.
Yes you can. There is MU tools mux and also Minihost Modular to name two plugin hosts (that acts as plugins themselves) that supports practically any VST (and AU for Minihost Modular). Both mux and Minihost Modular are free. Then there's also MAX for LIVE. The visual implementation might be different, but the idea is pretty much the same.

Of course, I personally prefer the way it's integrated in Reason with "tab" and connecting of the cables, but that is another topic. :)

OSCiLLOT Modular System also supports VST(i)s in Live(m4l device)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

D-Fusion wrote: Well there are more to it than that :)

You can use the filter or oscillators or lfo's and effects of another synth directly in a different one and then save it as a combinator.

Add more lfo's in realtime without playback from sequencer needed.
Have a 2.Oscillator synth but want more? Route another synth thru the first one so they share the same envelopes and so on and save it as a combinator afterwards.

What i would love to see in the vst world would be Filter effects with envelopes and extra lfo's that can be assigned to different synth parameters.
kae wrote:
Again guys. Any daw has macros controls that can be assigned to multiple envelopes from different vsts. Do you guys know about things like patcher from fl? Where you can create your own envelopes and connect to ANY vst that can have their values automated. As a Reason user I can say that patching done much better in fl that it's in reason.

mistmist wrote:Again guys. Any daw has macros controls that can be assigned to multiple envelopes from different vsts. Do you guys know about things like patcher from fl? Where you can create your own envelopes and connect to ANY vst that can have their values automated. As a Reason user I can say that patching done much better in fl that it's in reason.
That there's similar functionality to be find in the VST world is a fact. That the patching is done better in FL compared to Reason is your opinion, which others may, or may not, agree with. :)

How are going to route Zebra or FM8's internal envelope as the Envelope Generator for Serum? And it's not just the routing, you also need tools to manipulate the data that flows in between devices. In Reason you can do all sorts of processing on CV data; you can make it bipolar/unipolar, invert, reverse, you can mix different signals together, you can perform mathematical operations sum, diff, multiply, subtract etc.

Reason is much more flexible guys, it is pretty much the only major widely used DAW where you can build synths using effects plugins such as distortion devices. You'd need stuff like Max and Reaktor to get as much flexibility.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:How are going to route Zebra or FM8's internal envelope as the Envelope Generator for Serum?
I have just read the above and asked myself why would I need doing anything like that ffs... You guys seem to have too much spare time. I envy you, seriously...
Last edited by bronxsound on Thu May 26, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronxsound wrote:
v1o wrote:How are going to route Zebra or FM8's internal envelope as the Envelope Generator for Serum?
I have just read the above and asked myself why would I need doing anything like that ffs... You guy seem to have too much spare time. I envy you, seriously...
Because it's fun?

Pretty good reason IMO.

bronxsound wrote:
I have just read the above and asked myself why would I need doing anything like that ffs... You guy seem to have too much spare time. I envy you, seriously...
Because different synths have different envelopes. They don't sound the same they all have a unique character.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

The update rate of reason's cv rate is still a ridiculously low 700hz , fine for control rate duties but NOT for audio .
I created a thread about this a couple of years ago , too lazy too look it up .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

xbitz wrote:Image

OSCiLLOT Modular System also supports VST(i)s in Live(m4l device)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”