Presonus Updates Studio One and New Presence XT Editor

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Robert Randolph wrote:
murnau wrote:What bungle wrote is 100% right. I don't think that I'm happy with the biggest pro edition of a sequencer which then comes with a sample-player just to pay over 80 EUR for some editing possibilities. What next? If that continous you pay more for add-ons then for the pro sequencer itself. That's ridiculous.

Also an amateur have of course the same right to raise his voice then any pro. What's that nonsense again? I also think that most people can't live from their music productions. if somebody think that only the pro market is enough to make profit I doubt it. Nowdays it is not so easy to split the two groups like it was 20 years ago.
What's the alternative exactly? What DAW comes with a sampler as nice as Presence?

Reason's nn-xt comes close, but it's not nearly as good.
Well, you have Cubase, which comes with HALion Sonic. It is more a ROMpler, but way better than Presence (which is a ROMpler too, if you do not buy the editor). If you compare the libraries, HALion Sonic wins bigtime. Then you have Logic, which comes with EXS24 Mk II. In terms of library, again, there is no comparison.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
murnau wrote:What bungle wrote is 100% right. I don't think that I'm happy with the biggest pro edition of a sequencer which then comes with a sample-player just to pay over 80 EUR for some editing possibilities. What next? If that continous you pay more for add-ons then for the pro sequencer itself. That's ridiculous.

Also an amateur have of course the same right to raise his voice then any pro. What's that nonsense again? I also think that most people can't live from their music productions. if somebody think that only the pro market is enough to make profit I doubt it. Nowdays it is not so easy to split the two groups like it was 20 years ago.
What's the alternative exactly? What DAW comes with a sampler as nice as Presence?

Reason's nn-xt comes close, but it's not nearly as good.
Well, you have Cubase, which comes with HALion Sonic. It is more a ROMpler, but way better than Presence (which is a ROMpler too, if you do not buy the editor). If you compare the libraries, HALion Sonic wins bigtime. Then you have Logic, which comes with EXS24 Mk II. In terms of library, again, there is no comparison.
Totally forgot about ESX24.

The halion comparison is reasonable, however it's worth pointing out how much cheaper it is to get 'an editor' for Presence XT.

Since we're talking about sample-editors, I'm not sure that the size of the included library is really a discussion point? Also since Presence XT can load Kontakt (<4), giga, soundfont and ESX24 libraries.

I'm not a sound designer or a guy who would go anywhere near the depth of Kontakt or Mach 5 like Evil Dragon probably does, but the guy in the video who apparently does some of that says it's somewhere between EXS and Kontakt... like ... better than EXS but not as good as Kontakt.. functionally speaking.

I can't personally support that observation since I've never used EXS.

But I think there's functionality there that just doesn't exist out of the box in any daw sampler so while the price might be viewed as being subjectively high-ish by some, that's a fair enough opinion imo, I really don't understand why it should be free, what the benchmark or reference for that opinion is.

What else like that is free, with the same functionality? And Apple, being the richest media company on the planet, is not a good reference for pricing anything. :) Logic is worth way more than $199 but they have trillions of dollars so they can do whatever they want.

Would be nice indeed if it was free, but I'm not at all surprised that it's not.

But I think there's functionality there that just doesn't exist out of the box in any daw sampler so while the price might be viewed as being subjectively high-ish, that's a fair enough opinion imo, I really don't understand why it should be free, what the benchmark or reference for that opinion is.

Where else is that free, with the same functionality?
I have FL Signature and it comes with the full version of DirectWave which beat the hell out of Presence XT.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Cool. There's nothing (at least for you anyway) to complain about then, you already have a great sampler where you can (I suppose?) script the instrument like with Kontakt and create great sample programs to use or share with other people or to sell.

Cool. You're good. :tu: Unless you want everything everywhere. :)

We live in a great time, so many great and affordable choices. :tu:

LawrenceF wrote: And Apple, being the richest media company on the planet, is not a good reference for pricing anything. :) Logic is worth way more than $199 but they have trillions of dollars so they can do whatever they want.

Would be nice indeed if it was free, but I'm not at all surprised that it's not.
Actually the EXs24 has always been in Logic way before Apple took it over so that argument doesn't wash. These diversionary points about companies needing to make money, and do you really need it to make music are becoming very tiresome and repetitive TBH.

People are entitled to have an opinion contrary the Presonus party line, this is not the Studio One forums !!!!
Personally to charge an extra $100 for an editor to the S1 Pro customers is pretty lame. YMMV
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I never said the opinion was not justified, I only asked where the expectation came from.

Some seem surprised that companies, any company, Steinberg, Avid, whoever, in business to literally make money, tries to make money. It gets even odder to me when the thing has no real impact on making music, that nobody even needs it to make music. Some stuff is free (like the VCA's they just gave everyone for free) and some other stuff isn't. Such is life in general. :shrug:

But yes, everyone has an opinion and is always entitled to have one. The thing still cost $79. :)

I linked to a great free sampler that anyone can use, and people are still complaining.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue May 24, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceF wrote:Cool. There's nothing (at least for you anyway) to complain about then, you already have a great sampler where you can (I suppose?) script the instrument like with Kontakt and create great sample programs to use or share with other people or to sell.

Cool. You're good. :tu: Unless you want everything everywhere. :)

We live in a great time, so many great and affordable choices. :tu:
Oh no. That wasn't my point. I not complain, all fine. I just answered because of your wrong assumption. You just asked so.. :wink:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

My bad. I need to stay out of these threads like I'd been recently doing and let nature take it's course. :)

Sorry.

LawrenceF wrote: The thing still cost $79. :)
€89.81 in Europe which = 100.08 US Dollar in todays exchange rate :)
Mac Studio

woodsdenis wrote:
LawrenceF wrote: The thing still cost $79. :)
€89.81 in Europe which = 100.08 US Dollar in todays exchange rate :)
Yeah. :) The music hobby (and the video editing hobby) can sometimes get expensive. :) :tu:

I only update Vegas about every 3-4 versions because it's kind of expensive... and extra money is harder to find. :)

I'm still on Corel Suite X4, a really old version, because it's a hobby and it gets way too expensive to always keep up with the newest versions. Same for Camtasia and a lot of the other stuff I bought when I had more free cash.

fmr wrote: Well, you have Cubase, which comes with HALion Sonic. It is more a ROMpler, but way better than Presence (which is a ROMpler too, if you do not buy the editor). If you compare the libraries, HALion Sonic wins bigtime. Then you have Logic, which comes with EXS24 Mk II. In terms of library, again, there is no comparison.
Wait a minute, that isn't the fact though with the current Cubase version.
According to Steinberg if you buy Cubase Pro v8.5 at £409 GBP you get HALion Sonic SE 2 which is a cut down version of HALion Sonic 2 and does not include a sample editor -

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... ne_up.html

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vs ... ne_up.html

Whereas Studio One Pro V3 is £279 GBP.

https://shop.presonus.com/products/soft ... ofessional

The Presonus model totally works for me, as I couldn't care less about editing samples beyond the functionality that is included in Presence XT.
So if by charging for the editor as an add-on keeps the overall price of the DAW down for those of us who will never edit samples, well that's a very good thing IMHO.
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

One nice thing about Presence XT for those who own Logic is you can access and use all of your ESX24 content.

How To Import EXS Libraries Into Presence XT
http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-one ... resence-xt
Bitwig Certified Trainer

http://www.discodsp.com/bliss/

or just buy this, its slightly cheaper than the editor.
Mac Studio

Kontakt does EXS import too, you can buy it (Kontakt, not the EXS import feature because that would be silly) in the NI Summer Sale with a crossgrade from the free Sennheiser Drumic'a for a few bones more than the Presence XT editor... and use all of it's myriad of features, included effects, squillions of free libraries etc in any host you want!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”