Dune 2 vs Spire

Dune 2
57%
Spire
43%

Total votes: 134

RELATED
PRODUCTS

All in all there must be at least half a dozen typical, more or less subtractive and complete EDM synths that could be compared, for instance:

Dune
Spire
Sylenth
Hive
Corona
Hybrid
maybe even v2 of Retrologue?
etc.

Maybe they should all be in one thread, compared and rated based on key criteria...

Spire - more musical filters
Dune2 - user wavetables

And since you already own Serum...

fluffy_little_something wrote:All in all there must be at least half a dozen typical, more or less subtractive and complete EDM synths that could be compared, for instance:

Dune
Spire
Sylenth
Hive
Corona
Hybrid
maybe even v2 of Retrologue?
etc.

Maybe they should all be in one thread, compared and rated based on key criteria...
The guy wants to make trance. This makes the lists like that redundant in this specific case. Spire is the sound of today trance.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

4damind wrote:The sound is also bit more polished and not so aggressive/digital (remembers sometimes a bit to Roland synth) compared to Spire or Serum.
Totally agree with that. I only got to demo dune2 but it reminded me a lot of roland type sounds.

Dune 2 can sound amazing but Spire overall sounds better and is tons more easy to work with. Has huuuuuge sweetspots as Bernie would put it.

IMnotsoHO.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

I would Buy both starting with Spire now for 2 reasons: 1. Cheaper for now and 2. Has more 3rd party presets.
IMO you shouldn't have sold Hive. It can do very well with the others.
But in the end, the best approach to choose Dune 2 or Spire, is to play the demo with Serum and see how that fits. Try to find the best combination in the style required and I would ignore the stereotypes if I were you ;)

(Personally I have Dune 2 and love it, but I don't do Trance or EDM and I don't have Serum although I have Massive and Largo instead).

shonoob wrote:I mainly am into trance and progressive house type of music.
For your needs, I'd go with Spire over Dune 2.

Better yet, man up, admit your mistake, and buy Hive again. :D :clown: :P
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Dune 2. Spire sounds thin.
You are currently reading my signature.

Interesting that the poll is split right down the middle so far.

wagtunes wrote:Interesting that the poll is split right down the middle so far.
I wonder how many of the voters actually ever tried to make any trance.

This genre in its current form has certain very strict standards as regards the sounds used (not going to discuss if it is good or bad but that's a given).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I don't know, one could make the case that it's six of one, a half dozen the other. Both synths are plenty capable for trance/progressive house, but Spire really targets those genres, particularly for preset users/buyers. If you're rolling your own sounds, either synth will get the job done.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

shonoob wrote:
Can Spire make stuff like reese basses?

Cheers!
Now I see why you couldn't use Hive. Cuz you are presets user, i'm I right? Reece is just two slightly detuned saws.

I found Dune 2 a bit of a jack of all trades, but I sold it because I just couldn't find a place for it.
For EDM pads, leads and plucks I'd rather use something like Spire/Massive/ANA/Predator. For VA sounds I'd rather use something like Diva, Vac Pro, Oddity2 etc.

djanthonyw wrote:Spire sounds thin.
That's not been my experience. When I owned Spire, I found that it was way too easy for it to consume too much space and often had to thin it out considerably to get it to fit into a mix. It's easy to go nuts with its onboard FX (especially the EQ) and get huge sounds that sound incredible in isolation, but cover way too much of the frequency spectrum in the mix.

recursive one wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Interesting that the poll is split right down the middle so far.
I wonder how many of the voters actually ever tried to make any trance.

This genre in its current form has certain very strict standards as regards the sounds used (not going to discuss if it is good or bad but that's a given).
Could you post a track of what's considered a 'buy the rules" trance tune? I admit that my knowledge of trance is very basic.

Return to “Instruments”