Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

mcbpete wrote:Total - 3.97Gb
There you have it.

I knew the GFX size of the whole collection has to be in the gigabytes.

I guess now there is no denying it anymore when people say that Arturia is 90% UI and 10% sound. :hihi:

Now if theyd put that same amount of detail-work into the sound side of things...

wwjd wrote:anyone: is there an ANALOG DRIFT setting anywhere in these V5 things? Something to give it less perfect oscilators when desired?
It looks like the hybrid mode has what you are looking for in terms of modulation to the frequency of each osc. I think there is a bit of that built in as well though...but not enough for you apparently :)

Would you guys get the upgrade to 5 or should I get the upgrade to omisphere 2?
depends what YOU like, man. I went from v4 to v5 becuase I like all the old analog emulations. Omnisphere isn't even on my radar, but if you like it better, go for that. What do YOU like?
Last edited by wwjd on Tue May 24, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don t know what people are talking about but the arturia synth are great ! I own a lot of synth in the past but , I sold all of them and keep the arturia and a microbrute...the only one I regret I have sold is u-he hive (in dirty mode)...

ENV1 wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Actually, I just had a great idea. I was messing about with CS80v v3 and it still seems hard to read. Over antialiased text combined with low contrast is a rookie mistake. Then I look up to the modulation section and it occurred to me that the entire thing should look like that. They've got all the assets. It would take a bit of coding, but if Arturia gave an option to ditch the overblown skeuomorphic look and go totally flat, I'd be on that like teenagers on drugs.
Yeah, the labels are aweful.

(Except in the 200% variants, where they are excellent.)

But you see that all the time, sharp clear labeling seems to be something most UI designers really dont care about.

Wanna see my idea of good labeling, check this screenshot from my Black skin for DUNE BE.

Of course i had to go a few extra miles to make them that sharp and clear, but id say it was definitely worth the effort...

click for fullsize
Yeah, that looks really good. I might have even gone a shade darker on the background or lost the gradient altogether... probably have gone a little darker.

When I was doing a lot of game work, it seemed like I was getting a lot of pressure to make everything tiny. I don't know why that seemed to be the trend, especially when in a game you've really got a tiny window to communicate the function of something before it becomes a distraction. When ever we did game testing I'd watch the kids lean in and peer at the screen as their eyes glazed over. You could almost hear their brains thinking, "What am I supposed to click on here?" That's a fail in my book. I even see small stuff on billboards and think, "Is that supposed to be read by someone going by at 60 MPH?"

I'm not anti-skeumorphic. Far from it. I do think it should be in service to the interface, not the other way. A little visual cue that something is clickable or draggable is a good thing, but a giant button with a light on top of it just to communicate the way to access the synth's "about" screen is stupid and a waste of space.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Good news! Arturia has created a path to upgrade from V-Collection Classics to V-Collection 4 Update. At least for me :) It's 149 (99 with discount). It won't be possible to me to upgrade now (I'm really broken) but, this can be good news for other owners of V-Collection Classics.

wwjd wrote:depends what YOU like, man. I went from v4 to v5 becuase I like all the old analog emulations. Omnisphere isn't even on my radar, but if you like it better, go for that. What do YOU like?
I agree with you, and I do like a bit of drift as well. One of the reasons I like the memorymoon stuff is the drift control he built-into his MemoryMoog emulation. I also like that hybrid mode on the VS.

I see that too - but I'm confused about what you actually get. Are the "latest versions" going to be the V3 ones? If so, why is it called "V collection 4 update"? (And not something with V5 in the name)

I'd still rather just upgrade the 5 synths for $9.99 each.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

johnrule wrote:
wwjd wrote:depends what YOU like, man. I went from v4 to v5 becuase I like all the old analog emulations. Omnisphere isn't even on my radar, but if you like it better, go for that. What do YOU like?
I agree with you, and I do like a bit of drift as well. One of the reasons I like the memorymoon stuff is the drift control he built-into his MemoryMoog emulation. I also like that hybrid mode on the VS.
sorry I was replying to another guy but fergot to QUOTE :D

I'll check out that hybrid mode stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Scotty wrote:posters complaining about their precious hard drive resources and self-abscribed world class expertise in graphic design.
Going into the actual real world application of this:
On OSX anyway in Application support where graphics and other resources for plug ins reside the folder for CS80V3 is 644mb, Kontakt 5 is 550mb.

Opening CS80V3 stand alone I get 147mb of RAM used, opening Kontakt 5 with no instruments at all loaded I get 143mb of RAM used.

Even with the new Synclavier from Arturia the most RAM used in stand alone is around 200mb.

Mostly, people like to complain, compare this package of 16 instruments to what NI do to your hard drive. :o

machinesworking wrote:
Scotty wrote:posters complaining about their precious hard drive resources and self-abscribed world class expertise in graphic design.
Going into the actual real world application of this:
On OSX anyway in Application support where graphics and other resources for plug ins reside the folder for CS80V3 is 644mb, Kontakt 5 is 550mb.

Opening CS80V3 stand alone I get 147mb of RAM used, opening Kontakt 5 with no instruments at all loaded I get 143mb of RAM used.

Even with the new Synclavier from Arturia the most RAM used in stand alone is around 200mb.

Mostly, people like to complain, compare this package of 16 instruments to what NI do to your hard drive. :o
Yeah, but this is only that skin.... :o

In Kontakt you load up samples, so yeah, that will take up a lot of space :D But fair is fair, NI is making big plugins as well. Was installing ReplikaXT a couple of days before; around 250 MB...for an effect plugin without samples, or multi-size skin....huge....

I will say, after recently acquiring v collection 4, and initially being impressed of many bug fixes, i actually discovered lots of little crash niggles with the older synths like arp 2600 for example, and i have to pay another 200 bucks for *bug fixes*. I am not sure I am cool with this.

See the thing is, on the 27" imac the display size of the synths doesn't bother me at all, all i want is for them not to crash.

My take is that it would have been cool to have a paid update to V5 for those who wanted the new synths, but free bugfix updates for those who were happy with what they have.

OR at least let us split up our V4 so we can pay the current 10 euro upgrade fee to get bugfixes for only the synths we want.

BTW, anyone using these on OSX el cap or yosemite, and is stability 100% so far?

I've been running V4 on Yosemite for a couple of months. Haven't used them heavily, but I haven't had any crashes. Mainly as VST in Live, but I've ran standalone too. Have you got any sure-fire crash scenarios I can try out?

Regarding software sizes. Would you rather have a complete game on a 512 floppy or a key for a download on a dvd?
Shit just gets bigger. Deal with it.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

ENV1 wrote: Now if they'd put that same amount of detail-work into the sound side of things...
Bashing for the sake of bashing :roll: Because Arturia pays no attention to sound at all. Their synths can't even replicate the sounds of the emulated hardware :borg:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”