Filter Pros: Can you identify what this parameter does?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I found sort of a hidden parameter in a synth i wasnt using for a while.

Im uncertain as to what that parameter technically does, but im sure ive come across this in 1 or 2 synths before.

Its NOT resonance, thats already on full.

But it does something TO the resonance, so it begins to take on the character of a 303.

(That 'liquid' effect.)

Check this here audio (9MB WAV file), im fading the effect in and out a couple of times.

(EDIT: Better audio in post below.)

You should clearly hear when its on and when its off.

What would you say this is.

In other words if there were a slider for that parameter, and you had to put a label on it, what would it say?

Thanks. :)
Last edited by ENV1 on Wed May 25, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V-Station, eh? :)

Heres some better audio.

click

The effect is like 10 times more pronounced in this one, cant miss it now.

When the filter sounds 'flat' its off. (Like right at the beginning.)

Whenever it gets 'screechy', its on.

What id like to know is what the technical term for this effect is.

@ED: No, its MauSynth.

Among the parameters that are exposed to the host there are a few that are labeled 'N/A', and since the first thing you do when you find a slider that says 'N/A' is dragging it to see what happens :hihi: (i was in the generic UI so i could see those) i sorta couldnt help but stumble upon it.

To me it sounds like the filter input gain changes, and resonance adapts to it differently.

Interesting though. It did sound a bit like V-Station's filter to me in that first example.

EvilDragon wrote:To me it sounds like the filter input gain changes, and resonance adapts to it differently.
The 'width' of the resonance peak seems to somehow change too.

Appears to be getting narrower, but obviously there has to be something else in play.
EvilDragon wrote:Interesting though. It did sound a bit like V-Station's filter to me in that first example.
The first one was without the BOOST button on.

And yeah, definitely interesting. Opens up totally new possibilities.

I really hope Pekka keeps developing the synth because with a couple of tweaks and the Slide/Accent stuff added this thing would be perfect for 303 duties.

Its also one of the very few zero delay feedback filter designs whose character i actually like.

to me it sounded like highpass
and when i looked at the waveform it looked like highpass
so this parameter must be shifting the cutoff of a highpass inside the resonant filter feedback, where it's pretty low when you call it "off" and then gets higher as you turn it up

[EDIT]
here's what i mean:
https://app.box.com/s/578u995w5wus4ixm03bs3v5twzpasq1e
this is playing with the cutoff of a highpass inside the feedback of a 4-pole filter
in the second half i added a soft-clipping distortion plugin
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Yeah Anton, that seems to be it.

(Or at least it has to be a big part of it if there is something going on additionally.)

Guess something like 'Resonance HPF' would be a good label for that parameter then.

Thank you, that was a good catch.

Return to “Instruments”