A violin to die for...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It is beautiful, but slllloooowwwww. Takes ages to load.
Once it is loaded it does sound lovely.

You have to tell UVI Workstation what disk it loads from (settings > streaming). If you set it to SSD - Very fast, it loads a lot quicker (because it doesn't need to have a large pre-streaming buffer). Assuming you've stored it on SSD, of course.

That does help slightly, but it is still very very slow (by far the slowest instrument I have). Most likely I'm spoiled with the Kontakt loading speeds these days.

I would recommend going with the friedlander violin for kontakt player right now or if you can wait, the sample modeling violin (their Viola is amazing once you get used to the methods used for playing it). If you can afford the extended library and want all the solo strings covered, then VSL is still near the top of this market to my ears (I don't mind dry samples though). To get the most from that though takes some setting up and probably an extra investment in their pro player.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I moved the violin to my internal iMac hybrid disk and now the loading time is actually good.
Not sure why the external disk was so slow. Maybe Uvi does not like that for some reason. Obviously Kontakt 'fakes' it a bit by loading in the background, which gives the impression of much more speed.

I do use the Embertone samples, they are beautiful as well. What is the sample modelling violin? Always interested in new sounds (though my bank account does not like these libraries that much :) )

(I'll confess I loathe the sound of the Sample Modelling viola from the demos. Digital, sterile, fake... just awful, and complicated to boot, as far from their brilliant trumpet as its possible to get. The Friedlander sounds massively better than the SM. But I dunno... I love the Virharmomic even in its early state. Gorgeous tone, super-playable and innovative. Really looking forward to see how it develops and broadens its range. Wanna support these folks...)
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:(I'll confess I loathe the sound of the Sample Modelling viola from the demos. Digital, sterile, fake... just awful, and complicated to boot, as far from their brilliant trumpet as its possible to get. The Friedlander sounds massively better than the SM. But I dunno... I love the Virharmomic even in its early state. Gorgeous tone, super-playable and innovative. Really looking forward to see how it develops and broadens its range. Wanna support these folks...)
As with most of their stuff it takes some tweaking and workflow adjusting along with spacializing the sound to give it the proper tone and playability. The Viola does lots of styles that I can't come close to with anything else I've tried, especially for the more odd end of string music. It can also do pop strings quite well and even classical solos (though the fact that every library is geared towards classical means there are quicker ways to a good solo Viola) it's amazing at nice droning period type traditional backings.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Fleer wrote:I'll stick to the new EWQL Hollywood Solo Violin, 40GB of sheer bliss.
That actually came out pretty good, especially in light of how limited and meh-sounding the original was.

Bohemian got passed over by me in favor of the Friedlander, after having tried both on a friend's computer. My view of both of the above got changed quickly after buying the Hein, which trumps them all imo, especially in terms of vibrato shaping and overall control.

The Friedlander has too often a distractingly choppy sound, one which the instrument seems to default to too often for me (even with conscientious keyswitching). I tried the instrument on other computers but these days I refer to it as the "Choplander". There are really good things about it, and for staccato on bow type of stuff it excels (which figures). But sooner or later I'll probably sell it. The Hein and the EWSV more than fulfill my violin needs, at least until something even better comes around.
Ha ha suck it!

lasvideo wrote:For many years I have searched for a satisfactory violin sample.
No need for samples anymore. Sample Modeling have released The Violin recently:

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/swam_violin.php
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Return to “Instruments”