Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

ENV1 wrote:That being said, if others dont have a problem with that kind of unnecessary waste of space then thats perfectly alright with me. After all what everyone else is doing on their PCs doesnt concern me, thats their business not mine. However, i also think that those that DO have a problem with it (or at least wondering 'why the unusual approach') are entitled to say so too because after all this is a public thread in a public forum and the threadtitle doesnt demand that only specific aspects be brought up for discussion.
It makes not so much sense to discuss the decision Arturia made for their GUIs. We don't know the background and the idea they had. Of course there are different solutions eg. to use a large GUI, scale it down and render the truetype font in realtime to avoid fuzzy fonts with scaling of the raster images.
But IMO the Arturia developers are not dumb and know about different solutions.

4damind wrote:IMO the Arturia developers are not dumb and know about different solutions.
No, they are certainly not dumb.

I saw some of them on youtube and they generally seemed to be nice inspired intelligent people.

The thing is simply that they chose to go with the probably worst UI option there is, and in some peoples opinion (including mine) this was simply a mistake.

So no hate here or anything, just criticism of a very very suboptimal solution.

ENV1 wrote:
4damind wrote:IMO the Arturia developers are not dumb and know about different solutions.

I saw some of them on youtube and they generally seemed to be nice inspired intelligent people.

The thing is simply that they chose to go with the probably worst UI option there is, and in some peoples opinion (including mine) this was simply a mistake.

So far I can agree with this "mistake" if it comes to fuzzy fonts. I stated this also before that IMO with some scalings the font is a bit fuzzy. I will not say "unreadable" but it's not perfect.

ENV1 wrote:

+1

Yeah, the thing is they're an absolutely great collection of synths and one that I happily paid for the upgrade, just they're made a weird decision that causes the whole thing to be quite sluggish and overly-bulky. Bear in mind U-He has Diva looking like this:

It has all the shiny dials like Arturia's synth, is fully scalable and yet the download size is only 40meg which includes the synth engine itself

Hey folks, check out this interview with Glen Darcy, Arturia's VP of Product Management.
There's some answers and insights that could help in this discussion.
For instance:
Many of us think Arturia is a big company. I've seen people say that many many times. I myself thought so.
However, they are actually only like 30 people.
Give it a watch :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A4k34haEIc

mcbpete wrote:Yeah, the thing is they're an absolutely great collection of synths and one that I happily paid for the upgrade, just they're made a weird decision that causes the whole thing to be quite sluggish and overly-bulky. Bear in mind U-He has Diva looking like this:

It has all the shiny dials like Arturia's synth, is fully scalable and yet the download size is only 40meg which includes the synth engine itself
Another example of GUI design done right is one of my favorite synths - Imposcar 2.

Again like XILS synths it has three sizes that all look fantastic. And like XILS synths it's disk footprint is like 1/3 of any of the V4 Arturia synths while sonically blowing every one of them out of the water. So it's not impossible to do it much better than Arturia has done.
No signature here!

To those arrogantly insulting those of us who don't have massive HD space:
STFU. Take your arrogant opinions, fold them into a ball of all corners, and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

My system drive is a 128 gig SSD. THE HORROR. I install all my software (except games) on that drive for quicker loading and file access. This is MY choice.
You wanna tell me, "Well, get with the times and get a bigger drive." ... OH?!? :evil: :roll: ... Well if YOU want to buy me this bigger HD, then by all means, I'm all for it!! :hihi:
Some of us, however, don't have endless money to spend on hard drives, updates, upgrades for updates, new hard drives to handle the install requirements of the new updates and upgrades ...

5 gigs for a simple interface is a HUGE amount. Turns out, they've included full 4K files for the interface. That right there is the problem. Seriously! How many of us have a 4K monitor, or will EVER use these 4K GUI files?
I sure as hell won't!! I've got a 22" 1920x1080 monitor.
OH WAIT!!! I should get with the times and upgrade my monitor, shouldn't I?
How about you buy THAT for me as well, eh?

I'm on a fixed income here, about $650 usd/month; the majority of which is taken up by bills, food, and other necessities. A hundred bucks to update my V4 collection is already a large amount of money for me, not to mention the $200 upgrade for the full V5 Collection.
But HEY!! If I'm so poor, maybe I shouldn't be trying to work on making music, right?

When I built my new computer, I put most of the money into a quality motherboard, decent CPU, and a ton of RAM -- 16 Gigs of 1833Mhz DDR3. The 128 gig SSD for my system drive was kind of a bonus. I re-used the hard drives from my old system to save money. My biggest non-SSD drive is 500 gigs, then I've got about another 300 gigs or so between two other SATA HDs.
But HEY!!! I should get with the times and upgrade my HDs to multi-terrabyte ones, right? ... Again, you wanna buy me that? ... Didn't think so. Then STFU and stop arrogantly criticizing me and others who don't have and can't afford larger drives.

Anyhow, the hard drive space I DO have I'd MUCH rather be using for, you know, actual audio files, not GUI graphics. My songs and samples collection.
This in addition to the images I also create; artwork.

It's lazy and sloppy to use such massive amounts of space, simply because it's available.

Now that I know there's full files for a 4K interface in there -- a size I'll never use on this computer -- I'd like to go in and delete all the GUI elements that I'll never use and don't need.

You arrogant jerks who keep saying, "Hey, it's 5 gigs. Deal with it. Get a bigger drive." ... STFU, seriously. Get over yourselves. If YOU want to waste resources, go right ahead. Me, I know the value of storage space, regardless how massive modern storage might be. :evil: :dog:
Last edited by artao on Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

accidental double post removed

Never complain about SPACE in 2016. My buddy just bought 3 TERABYTES, 7200RPM for $60. SPACE should not be any concern for computer users. And fretting about programming efficiency died 20 years ago. That's the evolution of coding.
Don't buy a Ferrari if you don't want to pay $700 tune ups. :)

*I* needed the 4K sized interfaces DESPERATELY! Makes a huge difference and is very much appreciated by some.

wwjd wrote:Never complain about SPACE in 2016. My buddy just bought 3 TERABYTES, 7200RPM for $60. SPACE should not be any concern for computer users. And fretting about programming efficiency died 20 years ago. That's the evolution of coding.
Don't buy a Ferrari if you don't want to pay $700 tune ups. :)

*I* needed the 4K sized interfaces DESPERATELY! Makes a huge difference and is very much appreciated by some.
SOME OF US DON'T f**king HAVE AN EXTRA f**king 60 BUCKS TO DROP ON HARDWARE WE DON'T ACTUALLY NEED, JUST TO ACCOMMODATE UNREASONABLY LARGE GUI GRAPHICS!!!

So STFU you arrogant prick!!
The FUNCTIONALITY of these instruments is in the f**king .dll files, not the GUI graphics. Full files for 4K resolution is not needed by everyone! Do YOU have a 4K monitor? Are you ever going to actually use the 200% GUI size, designed for a 4K monitor? (apparently you do. LUCKY YOU!!! Wanna buy ME a 4K monitor? No? Then STFU and stop bragging about yours, you dick. MOST of us don't have one. MOST of use probably aren't working in such a studio setting where we can keep blowing money on upgrades to our equipment and software.
Would I like a multi-terrabyte hard drive? ABSOLUTELY!! ... However, NOW I need to spend that money to update my V4 Collection. .... and I HAD been planning on saving up a couple hundred bucks to buy a Focusrite 2i4; my first audio interface. THAT'S RIGHT!!! I'm using the Realtek HD Audio on my motherboard. :O THE HORROR.
Furthermore, I didn't buy a f**king Ferrari. I bought musical instruments. The functionality of which is contained in perfectly reasonably sized .dll files (or whatever Macs use) :clap:

"fretting about programming efficiency died 20 years ago." BULLSHIT!!!
GOOD coders are always concerned about efficiency. To do otherwise is needlessly lazy coding.
The ACTUAL .dll files .. you know, the ones that contain the actual functionality of the instruments, are rather small. Just fine. No problem there.
:dog:
y'all are being jackasses about this
Last edited by artao on Thu May 26, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SO!!!
Who can tell me where to find these GUI files on my HD, so I can delete the ones I don't need?
I looked in a few places, but found no sign of them. I'm on Win 7 Pro 64-bit

re: not having enough space on 128GB SSD drives - you can use the MKLINK command to redirect the big graphics folders to a different (non SSD) drive that has more space on it.

If anyone is happy going to the command line - this is easy to set up.

We could talk about that :wink:

EDIT - I don't have the V3 instruments installed, so I can't help find the graphics files...
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote:re: not having enough space on 128GB SSD drives - you can use the MKLINK command to redirect the big graphics folders to a different (non SSD) drive that has more space on it.

If anyone is happy going to the command line - this is easy to set up.

We could talk about that :wink:

EDIT - I don't have the V3 instruments installed, so I can't help find the graphics files...
Yeah, I'm totally gonna set up symbolic links for that, because that won't slow things down at all. :dog:

6.5GB for 18 instruments, and multiple high res photo-realstic GUI's, isn't the worst thing ever. Yes, they could've (and probably should've) done things more elegantly than requiring north of a quarter million files for the whole package, since a typical NTFS format size will mean those files use over 500MB of space.

But what matters more is that it seems ok about keeping to the minimal amount of install locations, and doesn't poop on the Windows registry, which is what causes real issues. These new versions should still launch / work faster than the old versions which had to ping a copy protection dongle and decrypt functions. If it makes anyone feel better SSD drives also don't suffer fragmentation either, and a 512GB Samsung evo can be had for $130 ish by now.

If such issues really bother people then maybe you should consider OSX, since .app files hide the folder structure from end users, and people can be happy pretending everything is contained in single tidy files ;) I'd recommend that route, or Linux, over Windows anyway, now that Microsoft appears to have decided its consumer future is in being a spyware / malware developer. ;)

Return to “Instruments”