Bitwig...do you like it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using mainly Logic Pro X (and still a few iOS DAW's sometimes) but maybe it's time for a second DAW.
The only other DAW i would be interested would be Bitwig at the moment.
For those which use it for a while, are you happy with it?
Is it worth to have it when using Logic?
Logic seems to be a bit unstable for me and huge bugs won't be sorted out by Apple for months.
Is Bitwig bug free (or at least nearly)?
Thank's....

Cinebient wrote:Logic seems to be a bit unstable for me and huge bugs won't be sorted out by Apple for months.
What huge bugs precisely?

Still on Logic 9, after so much updates that went into X, started reconsidering his existence and possible update, but still chances are weak/almost none it will happen, this just might kill all of it, so do expand on it. :wink:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Logic seems to be a bit unstable for me and huge bugs won't be sorted out by Apple for months.

Still on Logic 9, after so much updates that went into X, started reconsidering his existence and possible update, but still chances are weak/almost none it will happen, this just might kill all of it, so do expand on it. :wink:
A thing which annoys me a lot f.e. is that the transposer doesn't save user scales (they broke it some months ago and made hundread of my user scales useless).
Then Logic likes to freeze and crash and has also still graphical glitches.
Then there are a few other things like no new UI's for their old synths like ES2 etc. They sound great but looks horrible in 2016.
I mean i doesn't used other big DAW's (beside Live which i don't like) so maybe it's standard with those bugs. :D

Why would you like Bitwig if you don't like Live? I think they are based on the same concept.

Have you tried Studio One or Reaper? Since you like logic.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I bought it when it came out and I like it - it's a bit like Live, but an interesting evolution. That being said I never use it. I love playing around with it - but when it comes to make something real, I always go back to Live. There's always something that I'm missing in Bitwig. I guess v2 is not too far away and that will probably deal with it.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I love Bitwig :)
It's my main DAW and since I have (more than 6 months), I never looked back to any other DAW (includes Live). It's the one DAW that can do everything for me.

Now, I'm on Windows 10 64bit with Bitwig 1.3.9. It's very stable and I never had any crash or any other problem. It support both 32bit and 64bit at the same time and no problem seeing both in the browser (Bitwig structure is just one installation with one version that support both 32bit and 64bit).

The workflow and design are fantastic. It's very easy to work in a linear way but also great with trying ideas in the scenes. Performance is excellent as well. So, for me it's the best DAW out there followed by Live. Reaper is my second DAW, but I'm using it less and less because Bitwig is very fast also to load in my system, so even for a quick test, I find myself starting Bitwig.

Now how all that performs on OS X? I have no idea.

I do love using it, it still has its quirks and bugs though. The dev team are beyond amazing at delivering updates though. its CPU use on OSX is above average but not crippling if you have a relatively new machine.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I left cubase for Bitwig and really enjoy using it, not looking back. Has everything i need, but sure there are a few missing features and also bugs. It's a V1 DAW, but the pros outweight the cons by far for me. I also much prefer the linear arrangement mode over the one in live because of the GUI design and handling (tracks on the left etc.)

Stuff like hybrid tracks, bounce in place, sandboxing, layered editing and the overall modular approach are really fun to use.

left Cubase and live for BWS (and S13 ;-))

I haven't sold Live yet but find I never use it, BWS does more, faster. It needs comping and better workflow for recording live instruments (guitar, voice etc, I still go to S1 for this) but if you are mailnly VST, Midi loop based with just a few live audio tracks, its a great tool.

PS- I do quite a bit with modular etc and BWS is definitely the best for me interfacing with my modular and thinking ion a modular way in a DAW.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Cinebient wrote:
Zexila wrote:

A thing which annoys me a lot f.e. is that the transposer doesn't save user scales (they broke it some months ago and made hundread of my user scales useless).
Then Logic likes to freeze and crash and has also still graphical glitches.
Then there are a few other things like no new UI's for their old synths like ES2 etc. They sound great but looks horrible in 2016.
I mean i doesn't used other big DAW's (beside Live which i don't like) so maybe it's standard with those bugs. :D
Thank you for the info, that really doesn't sound comforting, really appreciate it and sorry for going off topic with all this, have a blast. 8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Best advice would probably to suggest trying the demo before you buy.

Thank's....i will look deeper into it!
There is one reason i always need to use Logic....Sculpture. It's just worth the price of Logic alone for me.
I even forgot i can use the Bitwig 8 track (because i own a Seaboard Rise) :dog:
Well, so i will try it. I'm just scared about the new learning curve again...time is very limited these days.

its quite easy to learn i'd say. But for special stuff you can look up the tips&tricks thread here. Quite some nice info in there: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=446739

Cinebient wrote:There is one reason i always need to use Logic....Sculpture. It's just worth the price of Logic alone for me.
Oh yeah, such an gem, Logic got crazy value in stock stuff really, especially now with Alchemy. :o
Well, so i will try it. I'm just scared about the new learning curve again...time is very limited these days.
Being on that hunt adventure recently, all that made me realize how awesome Logic really is even with same old bugs, only Cubase got any chance, but no automation bezier curves is like a big no go even if somebody gifted me one, others don't stand a chance really, reminded myself once again why I love this DAW so much, so yeah, it's like seeking for a better thing and than getting back to ex which didn't changed at all, but still she is better than what is out there, something like that. :lol:

Happy hunting! :ud: :)

I will attempt to stay on topic while also offering my opinion, heh.

Bitwig is great but it is missing some key features as many have pointed out. It feels as if coming from Logic, you are making a leap of faith to consider Bitwig. That being said, it would be easier to transition to Cubase. If you really like the "idea" of Bitwig, Live is still a better choice in my opinion.

Of course I assume this kind of topic shows up far more often when a sale is going on, and you can get Bitwig upgrade for $199 now if you have the 8-track version or even cheaper on the KVR market. If that is your pull, try before you buy. Live is STILL the better choice.

Bitwig will definitely be growing, should you decide to go that route, and unquestionably has the potential of being fantastic. And if you go that route now you will be better prepared when that hits (if it keeps going in the current direction).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”