Bitwig...do you like it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had Bitwig for a few months but bailed soon after it became problematic. No compound time signatures pretty much killed it for me but then I noticed that with my Quad Capture, it would not allow use high latency settings with it. I went out and rented a UR22 and the same thing. Opened a ticket...nothing..not one single reply. Posted in their Forum, one user answered but nothing from Btiwig support ..ever. So sold it ASAP and moved on to PT 12.

BWS has some cool features and looks promising but when it cannot do basic functions that software 25 years ago could do, it leaves me doubtful as to its future.

Suloo wrote:its quite easy to learn i'd say. But for special stuff you can look up the tips&tricks thread here. Quite some nice info in there: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=446739

"gimmees my demos!"

Absolutely love Bitwig. I was bouncing around different DAWs for a while before Bitwig came out, I picked it up when 1.1 was on sale for $199 around Christmas 2014.

Nothing else has ever gelled quite like Bitwig, for me. Every step of producing a track feels comfortable and enjoyable. Dealing with arrangement in Live at this point feels very awkward and cumbersome. In Bitwig I can flip between arrange and edit and make adjustments to the audio within the selected clip, feels like I am flying next to Live.

That said, I don't fully trust it for recording hardware. Things go pretty well when recording a synth in, assuming the buffer size is set really low, but the outgoing MIDI clock just does not feel robust at all when driving a drum machine. Throw in a lack of locking to external MIDI and it's just no question that you will want to reach for another DAW to record hardware extensively.

While people are assuming that 2.0 is around the corner, I have hopes that they will do a 1.4 release that introduces comping, proper per device MIDI clocks with offsets, and more features geared for live recording and the hybrid studio. That's just a hunch based on how the dev team approaches things -- it's my impression that they want a really robust 1.x product and leave the 2.0 update to be all about the introduction of the modular system and the collab features, both of which have a large potential for bugs. So, better to get the bread and butter on the table while that suckling pig is roasting under the sand.

incubus wrote:
Suloo wrote:its quite easy to learn i'd say. But for special stuff you can look up the tips&tricks thread here. Quite some nice info in there: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=446739

"gimmees my demos!"
Ha, that really looks like me! :lol:

"sh1t! another beach ball"

I'm a recent Bitwig convert, and so far loving it. Not having used Live before either, it took me a little time with the demo before I 'got it'. But once everything clicked, I was completely won over. Really love the slick UI, it's really boosted my workflow.

Included instruments and FX were not a deal breaker, but I've been pleasantly surprised by them. There's clearly plenty going on with the modular system under the hood, which should result in all kinds of new tools once opened up.

:tu:

I love Bitwig!

db3 wrote:I'm a recent Bitwig convert, and so far loving it. Not having used Live before either, it took me a little time with the demo before I 'got it'. But once everything clicked, I was completely won over. Really love the slick UI, it's really boosted my workflow.

Included instruments and FX were not a deal breaker, but I've been pleasantly surprised by them. There's clearly plenty going on with the modular system under the hood, which should result in all kinds of new tools once opened up.

:tu:
That's the intereting part for me too...the modular behind the hood which should be open with version 2.0 i think.
Also that a crashing plug-in doesn't should shut off the whole DAW which i have very often now within Logic. No fun to use!

It's strange there's no vertical zooming, that was major deal breaker here, really don't like scrolling trough project tracks that much and like having overview of whole thing, call it OCD, but hey. :scared:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I'll throw my hat in here for Bitwig. I think it's got a lot of promise, even though it might be lacking some features right now. I would suggest demoing it first. You'll know pretty fast if you like it or not.

"Bitwig is great but it is missing some key features as many have pointed out."

yepp and meantime Chaos Culture has solved one of the biggest missing feature in AL >

has the same feature set as the original AL editor(with zillions of config options)

working acceptable speed with less than 1000 MIDI notes, so not good for long piano pieces (working faster with higher zoom level, so if not so many notes are visible) using the full zoom-out view

MIDI note pre-listening also working it has own MIDI routing device which auto detects(store) the original track of the notes and sends out the (clicked) MIDI note signals to there

http://isotonikstudios.com/chaos-cultur ... ip-editor/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Sold ableton to get bitwig. No regrets.

Love Bitwig, it is that killer app that makes me bother using Ubuntu. It works flawlessly on that platform (at least so far), even midi learn is as easy as twist a knob on screen, and the same on keyboard, and that is it!

I feel like I'm on Windows when loading it up, it is so familiar :love:

I think they still do free/no-hassle transfers, is that right?

If so you can pick it up for a little less in the marketplace (though the full price is less than it used to be iirc)

it had some teething problems, but the current version of Bitwig is great

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”