So I Wrote A symphony

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: I don't like girls because they don't have a penis.
But they have volume knobs. Two of them.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
Except you know how much trouble I have finding volume knobs.

Well ... I've been listening more to Brahms, Holst, Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Strauss and Beethoven recently. I love classical music, but maybe not so much the type you are trying to emulate here. Anyway, I don't want to critisise your work. I listened to the first movement, and thought it sounded kinda "artificial", but without a real orchestra I would think that's inevitable (if you are trying to emulate music from the 18th century). Maybe you can find a local orchestra that would like to perform it?

recursive one wrote:
Mine doesn't seem to have one :x :x :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Well ... I've been listening more to Brahms, Holst, Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Strauss and Beethoven recently. I love classical music, but maybe not so much the type you are trying to emulate here. Anyway, I don't want to critisise your work. I listened to the first movement, and thought it sounded kinda "artificial", but without a real orchestra I would think that's inevitable (if you are trying to emulate music from the 18th century). Maybe you can find a local orchestra that would like to perform it?
Yes, GPO sounds wretched, but it's the only thing that works with Finale 4. If I could get a real orchestra to perform it (I can print out all the parts) it would sound completely different.

wagtunes wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
wagtunes wrote:But I guess you're not really into classical music.
What do you mean by that?
wagtunes wrote:As for the library, well, it's the only thing compatible with Finale 4 that sounds even half decent, so I had to make the best of it.
Can't these parts be exported to midi and patched in other libraries?
What I mean by that is if you actually think this symphony is "samey" then you don't listen to a lot of symphonies. Most are borderline monotonous as they basically play thee same theme for that movement over and over. Somebody into classical music would know that. That's all I'm saying. You clearly are not.
I've yet to listen to yuor work, but I have to disagree over that statement. There is little repetition in a symphony, although there's a lot of use for the "variation" technique. Usually, themes get developed, and if the composer has enough craftmanship, they are so developed as to almost become new material. During the symphony, the main themes are repeated no more than a handful of times (in a movement that may last from 6-7 minutes to circa half na hour). And a symphony has several movements, each of them usually has new themes (although these may also be derived).

Another question: You say you did in in Finale 4 - I guess you meant Finale 2014. Finale 4 is like pre-historic.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
wagtunes wrote:But I guess you're not really into classical music.
What do you mean by that?
wagtunes wrote:As for the library, well, it's the only thing compatible with Finale 4 that sounds even half decent, so I had to make the best of it.
Can't these parts be exported to midi and patched in other libraries?
What I mean by that is if you actually think this symphony is "samey" then you don't listen to a lot of symphonies. Most are borderline monotonous as they basically play thee same theme for that movement over and over. Somebody into classical music would know that. That's all I'm saying. You clearly are not.
I've yet to listen to yuor work, but I have to disagree over that statement. There is little repetition in a symphony, although there's a lot of use for the "variation" technique. Usually, themes get developed, and if the composer has enough craftmanship, they are so developed as to almost become new material. During the symphony, the main themes are repeated no more than a handful of times (in a movement that may last from 6-7 minutes to circa half na hour). And a symphony has several movements, each of them usually has new themes (although these may also be derived).

Another question: You say you did in in Finale 4 - I guess you meant Finale 2014. Finale 4 is like pre-historic.
Yes, Finale 2014.

As to symphonies having little repetition, depends on what degree you're talking about when using the term. Some would say Beethoven's 5th and 9th are very repetitious. Others would not. But if you listen to my piece, it is anything but repetitious as it's written in very unorthodox (for a symphony anyway) rhapsody form.

That is why I take issue with his comment. It is beyond ludicrous.

A simple "It bored me, I didn't like it" would have been greeted by me with nothing more than a "sorry you didn't like it" and that would have been the end of it.

@ wagtunes
Did you think about presenting your work at v.i.control?
There's lot of pretty seasoned classical composers/musicians over there.

nordickvr wrote:@ wagtunes
Did you think about presenting your work at v.i.control?
There's lot of pretty seasoned classical composers/musicians over there.
No, not really.

dup

wagtunes wrote:No, that's not what I said. He called it "samey." He didn't say he didn't like it.
I actually called it "twee", but I didn't really like it. That doesn't mean can't respect it on other levels. There was clearly a huge amount of commitment, work, and love gone into this, and I can respect it as such while also disliking it. I don't like this particular style fo classical music, but I didn't say that I hated it

wagtunes wrote:My confusion is at the word "samey".
Evidently! I didn't add the "y" for the good of my health. Samey is not 'same'.
wagtunes wrote:If one actually DOES understand classical music they would clearly hear that this is anything BUT samey.
I don't have to understand classical music to feel that, despite the change in instrumentation, melody change etc, that actually the variations you have pointed out didn't do anything to assuage my feelings that you probably had a great 8-minute piece of music, suffering, IMO, for having been dragged out over 45 minutes.

wagtunes wrote:Again, if this person was versed in 18th and 19th century symphonic music, they'd clearly hear that this piece is in no way "samey" if you're comparing it to traditional pieces of the time.
You want people to jump through quite a few hoops to validate their criticism for you. My criticism was not relative. I need know nothing about the "pieces of the time" for my initial critique to be relevant. I said it was a little twee for me, and a bit samey. Twee is not hating it, and you have confirmed that the music you are trying to 'ape' is actually samey by design
wagtunes wrote:I don't expect anybody here to like this piece. KVR is not exactly a hangout for this type of music. I just posted it for the hell of it and no other reason. I was fully expecting everybody to hate it.
You should know we're just a bunch of uncultured f**ks on this board, but posting it fully expecting everyone to hate it might explain why you are getting super-defensive...again.
wagtunes wrote:But samey? It simply makes no sense if one understands classical music, which clearly he doesn't.
:dog: :dog:
wagtunes wrote:I don't like it, but I won't criticize a piece trying to point out its flaws simply because I don't understand the genre to begin with. I wouldn't know good dub step from bad dub step if it bit me on the rear.
One of the reasons I don't like it is BECAUSE it is too samey. I didn't say, "Your piece is not samey enough to be a classical symphony". Had I have done your criticising my lack of knowledge, by which I would make such an erroneous comparison, would be entirely just. But I didn't :shrug:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
If that makes me arrogant, well, so be it.
No. What makes you arrogant is your assumption that "critisism" of your work is due to a lack of understanding.
:tu:

wagtunes wrote:No, that's not what I said. He called it "samey." He didn't say he didn't like it.
I actually called it "twee", but I didn't really like it. That doesn't mean can't respect it on other levels. There was clearly a huge amount of commitment, work, and love gone into this, and I can respect it as such while also disliking it. I don't like this particular style fo classical music, but I didn't say that I hated it

wagtunes wrote:My confusion is at the word "samey".
Evidently! I didn't add the "y" for the good of my health. Samey is not 'same'.
wagtunes wrote:If one actually DOES understand classical music they would clearly hear that this is anything BUT samey.
I don't have to understand classical music to feel that, despite the change in instrumentation, melody change etc, that actually the variations you have pointed out didn't do anything to assuage my feelings that you probably had a great 8-minute piece of music, suffering, IMO, for having been dragged out over 45 minutes.

wagtunes wrote:Again, if this person was versed in 18th and 19th century symphonic music, they'd clearly hear that this piece is in no way "samey" if you're comparing it to traditional pieces of the time.
You want people to jump through quite a few hoops to validate their criticism for you. My criticism was not relative. I need know nothing about the "pieces of the time" for my initial critique to be relevant. I said it was a little twee for me, and a bit samey. Twee is not hating it, and you have confirmed that the music you are trying to 'ape' is actually samey by design
wagtunes wrote:I don't expect anybody here to like this piece. KVR is not exactly a hangout for this type of music. I just posted it for the hell of it and no other reason. I was fully expecting everybody to hate it.
You should know we're just a bunch of uncultured f**ks on this board, but posting it fully expecting everyone to hate it might explain why you are getting super-defensive...again.
wagtunes wrote:But samey? It simply makes no sense if one understands classical music, which clearly he doesn't.
:dog: :dog:
wagtunes wrote:I don't like it, but I won't criticize a piece trying to point out its flaws simply because I don't understand the genre to begin with. I wouldn't know good dub step from bad dub step if it bit me on the rear.
One of the reasons I don't like it is BECAUSE it is too samey. I didn't say, "Your piece is not samey enough to be a classical symphony". Had I have done your criticising my lack of knowledge, by which I would make such an erroneous comparison, would be entirely just. But I didn't :shrug:
Okay, there may very well be a language barrier here to which I may have to offer an apology.

What exactly do you mean by "samey"?

I assumed you meant that the piece just sounded the same throughout, which it clearly doesn't as I have pointed out.

Do you mean it just sounds the same to you as all OTHER classical pieces?

Maybe some clarification will help me to understand where you're coming from.

Okay, here is the definition of "samey" that I got from dictionary.com

(informal) monotonous; repetitive; unvaried

I'm sorry, it is clearly anything BUT.

If that is the case, every single symphony ever written is samey.

In this case, you are just plain wrong.

Now if you had just said to me you thought it musically sucked, there's not much I can say to argue with that as that's an opinion. But samey, as a clinical definition, simply does not apply to this piece.

Stop being so pedantic. You are really hung up on the exact definition of the word 'samey' instead of just accepting that it is el-bow's opinion. Let it go :)

Return to “Music Cafe”