Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

bundoo wrote:CS80 has a really terrible UI....why make the lettering so small? It's as if they wanted to make it look like it was just dredged up out of some attic....thanks for the template tip btw...although the Jupiter doesn't have one...
It's not so much the size of the text, the text looks fuzzy and so it's not so easy to read. For me the CS80 at 100% scaling is good to work with but the text... hmm...

fallacy wrote:
Scotty wrote:Exactly. I have heard enough from self-ascribed world class coders, graphic experts and audio professionals with their scant 64 GB SSD drives and paradoxically well endowed and bloviated egos. Lets talk about the sound. This is getting ridiculous
Apparently the people arent even close to completing their analysis yet. Unbelievble that majority of us just wanted bigger UIs from Arturia and now that they are here it's still not good enough.

I'm certain that through life experience, this type of attitude we are seeing from these 'experts' is something they will outgrow eventually.... They just need to turn that fine grained critical thinking of theirs toward themselves and realise how much self improvement there is to be done.

Synclavier V and Modular V are my favourites.
I'm not a self ascribed expert. My employers and clients have deemed me an expert due to my 20 years of experience in graphic design, the last 10 focused on UI/UX work. I've got huge magnetic disc based hard drives, but that still doesn't make me happy that a company feels they have the right to take up a lot of space on it just so each key graphic can be a unique snowflake. :roll: Also, the new plug ins take far too long to load because of this.

The reason we're not talking about the sound much is because by and large it hasn't changed. Why would I talk about the new 2600V's sound if it's been the same for many years?

Most of my self improvement needs to be about muting people on forums who are fanbois incapable of being critical of their beloved developers.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

V0RT3X wrote:If you hear Aliasing at 44.1 or 48khz here's what you could possibly do. You could write your parts out at 96khz 24bit in a separate project and then export and dither them down to whatever your preferred project rate is. Sure real-time synthesis is fun, but sometimes you have to do this kind of stuff. If you know what you want and have good production methods, then it probably won't f**king matter in the end to the listener. Unless of course you write music for people who use spectrum analyzer and point out flaws in your production, then I don't know :shrug:

I used to be of the group who would gripe about "aliasing" like it was the devil. Eventually I found that it doesn't matter, unless you make it really f**king obvious and don't realize how the added harmonics f**k with your overall mix. The most important thing you should be concerned about is whether or not the "sound" tells the story you want it to or not. Other than that who cares if it isn't 100%.

I don't understand the OCD like obsession people have when it comes to emulations. I mean it's just another means to an end in the grand scheme of things. Take the product for what it does well and leave it at that. If you want super accurate analog emulation stuff then stop browsing KVR, go to your local music store and buy a real analog synthesizer.

Just my 2Cents

They do sound nice as just your above average VA synthesizer, but if you stare at the photorealistic GUI and expect it to sound like the real deal then you are shit out of luck. I think the look has some kind of psychological effect on people, I'm not sure but it's very possible..

I imagine Arturia would have gotten WAY less flack for the sound of these if they had went with a GUI like Togu does for their products.
I don't get where this is coming from. The aliasing does contribute to a general lack of quality of the sound. I didn't say it was horrible. In fact, I think I said it was very usable.

However, there are developers like U-He, Dmitry Sches, Melda, DiscoDSP, etc, that offer quality modes so that you don't have to do the new-96khz-project-import dance. In fact, I'd say it's pretty standard in the industry. Some, like XILS just bake it in and unashamedly use your CPU. So, when I'm told that a plug in went from v2 to v3 and I find that means it now looks a bit better at the expense of a lot of ram and offers no aural benefits at all, I have to at the very least scratch my head and wonder. They're cool about using up my ram to show me a picture of wood, but they won't give me the option to use some extra CPU cycles to get a higher quality sound? :? I'm not even really asking for a bottom up rewrite of the code like they did in MiniV (though I would appreciate that). I'm just asking for something as simple as an oversampling option dialog or control. Take up some of that empty space that's showing me walnut wood and put it there. When I want aliasing, and I often do, I'll spark up Mr. Alias Pro, or since we're talking about Arturia, SynclavierV.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Most of my self improvement needs to be about muting people on forums who are fanbois incapable of being critical of their beloved developers.
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

If simply pointing out a fact is now an 'attitude problem', you know somethings wrong.

And if justified criticism of a fact is now 'bashing', you know somethings wrong too.

Reason and objectivity are going to hell in a handbasket. Faster and faster.

I consider myself muted. Thank you. - Scotty

ENV1 wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Most of my self improvement needs to be about muting people on forums who are fanbois incapable of being critical of their beloved developers.
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

If simply pointing out a fact is now an 'attitude problem', you know somethings wrong.

And if justified criticism of a fact is now 'bashing', you know somethings wrong too.

Reason and objectivity are going to hell in a handbasket. Faster and faster.

Get lost mate.

It really gets boring.

zerocrossing wrote: They're cool about using up my ram to show me a picture of wood, but they won't give me the option to use some extra CPU cycles to get a higher quality sound? :? I'm not even really asking for a bottom up rewrite of the code like they did in MiniV (though I would appreciate that). I'm just asking for something as simple as an oversampling option dialog or control.
It's probably not as simple as that. I think the rates may be hard baked into certain sections of older code, which would mess with running the entire path faster. I guess you could confirm by running at 96kHz or above, and seeing if you notice a major difference.

I seem to recall, despite reports to the contrary, that it suggested certain rates were fixed in the synth path, but I'm going on decade old memories and haven't used much beyond Spark, with any regularity, in more recent years.

I am not going anywhere. After 14 years on KVR, I am just now using the mute button. Once again you over estimate your significance. Thanks. - Scotty
ENV1 wrote:Get lost mate.

It really gets boring.

Yeah, whatever.

otristan wrote:
ENV1 wrote: For instance the DRY_WET_DELAI parameter has a value of 3.500000e-001 in the original preset file. In the new format this would be 0.35, so thats what i entered. However, after using the preset and closing the synth, that value was changed to 0.34999999. Reason unknown, i didnt touch anything. There were a couple other values where similar changes occured, for instance the LFO_RATE parameter originally had a value of 5.335625e-001 (which is 0.5335625 in the new format), but was changed to 0.53356248 when i re-checked the file.
Short answer: Related to floating point representation in a computer.
Long answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_ ... d_rounding
Getting back to that again, would it be expected that only some values are being changed while others would remain untouched?

Im asking because i have a lot of 0.5, 0.25, and even longer ones such as 0.625 and 0.40625 in the file and they all stay the same.

Here is a small skin mod for the SEM V2 to make it look a bit closer to the first version. It's for 80% size only. Not too happy with the washed out text but not sure how to make it look better without emphasizing the shadows behind it too much.

http://beatslaughter.de/forum/Arturia%2 ... d%2080.rar

Extract the file to "c:\ProgramData\Arturia\SEM V2\resources\bitmap\bmp\80%\" on Windows, for MAC i have no idea. Make a backup of the original files in case you want to revert back! :)

zerocrossing wrote:
fallacy wrote:
Scotty wrote:Exactly. I have heard enough from self-ascribed world class coders, graphic experts and audio professionals with their scant 64 GB SSD drives and paradoxically well endowed and bloviated egos. Lets talk about the sound. This is getting ridiculous
Apparently the people arent even close to completing their analysis yet. Unbelievble that majority of us just wanted bigger UIs from Arturia and now that they are here it's still not good enough.

I'm certain that through life experience, this type of attitude we are seeing from these 'experts' is something they will outgrow eventually.... They just need to turn that fine grained critical thinking of theirs toward themselves and realise how much self improvement there is to be done.

Synclavier V and Modular V are my favourites.
I'm not a self ascribed expert. My employers and clients have deemed me an expert due to my 20 years of experience in graphic design, the last 10 focused on UI/UX work. I've got huge magnetic disc based hard drives, but that still doesn't make me happy that a company feels they have the right to take up a lot of space on it just so each key graphic can be a unique snowflake. :roll: Also, the new plug ins take far too long to load because of this.

The reason we're not talking about the sound much is because by and large it hasn't changed. Why would I talk about the new 2600V's sound if it's been the same for many years?

Most of my self improvement needs to be about muting people on forums who are fanbois incapable of being critical of their beloved developers.
Well, I am a UX Architect and Researcher with 25 years of experience (look me up on linkedin if you want Brett Maraldo in Toronto). I LIKE the new Arturia Collection plugins. They are a vast improvement over the previous version from a UX standpoint. I do not find there are any major UX issues with them - they enable me to create music in a more enjoyable way than the previous version. In general I am enjoying using them and so far I have no major UX issues to report.

Then again I spend more time with the SOUND of the Arturia plugins and much less with the UI. I use the UI to make my sound, close the plugin and go from there.

Just a general idea for people who don't like the readability of text labels:
Did you try loading the GUI images in any free editor and sharpening the text ?

(OFC backup any files you want to edit first).

[edit]
Oops didn't read the last page before writing. :)
From nitexs post it looks like it is possible.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

When it comes to SEM V, I just don't see a big need visually to upgrade it from v1 to v2

On my 24" screen (1920x1200) v1 fits just nicely on the screen with the top open.

Based on the GUI of v2 posted above, v1 looks just as good and readable

plexuss wrote: Well, I am a UX Architect and Researcher with 25 years of experience (look me up on linkedin if you want Brett Maraldo in Toronto). I LIKE the new Arturia Collection plugins. They are a vast improvement over the previous version from a UX standpoint. I do not find there are any major UX issues with them - they enable me to create music in a more enjoyable way than the previous version. In general I am enjoying using them and so far I have no major UX issues to report.
That's my take in a nutshell.
Do I think the New GUI's are perfect? - no

Are they a VAST Improvement in my opinion? - yes! very much so.

Do I get why some people might think Arturia didn't do it the way they would have? - Yes, that point has been made for at least 20 of the 45 pages of this thread. I think we all get it, some of you don't like the new look, the size of the graphics folders, or really Arturia in general.

How can anyone possibly think that the old version of CS80 for instance was a usable interface in 2016?? Anything at all is an improvement to me over a tiny 1999 interface like that!

As a non coder, someone who does not develop for Windows and OSX in what amounts to 5 possible plug in types and possibly 5 different GUI rules, for 5 or so plug in sizes and windows touch screens, plus future proofing for possible OSX touch screen integration... I really don't think I have the answer as to whether or not it was lazy to do the GUIs the way Arturia did? I really don't think 99.9 %of the people here do either. I mean that with no malice, I'm also great at playing armchair quarterback, and I get why people are perplexed, but I pretty much don't buy that Arturia are being lazy or that there isn't a reasonable answer for why they did what they did.

I get the concern, but I don't get why it has to be that everyone else must agree with your concern? In my opinion the naysayers may be right, but they simply don't have enough information to be so assured that they're right.

Return to “Instruments”