Ventilator (ElectroProg - Seismic Catharsis)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excellent and disquieting stuff, seismic1. I agree with Frantz that this piece is reminiscent of Ligeti's Lux Aeterna. Sure, I agree that it doesn't feature the same complexity of polyphony, but I think you capture a similar mood very effectively.

I can't agree with the 'Ligeti's Lux Aeterna' comparisons.
What they do have in common seems insignificant to me like, sustained tones on the side of pure, and dissonant intervals. Seismic's comp gives an impression of 'rising up', like a Shepard tone. It has one repeating/looping pattern of ascending tones. He adds several selected tones mainly ascending intervals, some dissonant with the pattern, which further adds to the effect of rising up.
That's just my take.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Eerie and disquieting, but at the same time relaxing. I like it! :)

Sounds like an outer space theme for a movie like 2001. Sounds nice, not what I listen to or play but nice.

folderol wrote:I think there must be something wrong with me. I found it very relaxing. Didn't pick up any sinisrter vibes at all :roll:
I think it's all about context here. Frantz got uncomfortably close to the "inspiration" for this one with his comment - "you can't breathe", but I can certainly understand why some people might find this relaxing.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, folderol. Glad you liked it :)

davidstiles wrote:Excellent and disquieting stuff, seismic1. I agree with Frantz that this piece is reminiscent of Ligeti's Lux Aeterna. Sure, I agree that it doesn't feature the same complexity of polyphony, but I think you capture a similar mood very effectively.
"Disqiueting" probably hits the nail on the head here. I deliberately set out to make something dissonant without falling into the mire of downright ugliness. I think it has some of the spirit of Ligeti, but is essentially much simpler in scope and complexity.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, David. glad you liked it :)

annode wrote:I can't agree with the 'Ligeti's Lux Aeterna' comparisons.
What they do have in common seems insignificant to me like, sustained tones on the side of pure, and dissonant intervals. Seismic's comp gives an impression of 'rising up', like a Shepard tone. It has one repeating/looping pattern of ascending tones. He adds several selected tones mainly ascending intervals, some dissonant with the pattern, which further adds to the effect of rising up.
That's just my take.
I think I was trying to create an impression of density with minimal instrumentation or polyphony. The sounds I used here seemed to fit the bill, although I might look at cleaning up the choir samples one day.

These offset ascending semitone figures over the repeating "bassline" seemed to offer a usable solution.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, annode. Glad you liked it :)

kryptonaut wrote:Eerie and disquieting, but at the same time relaxing. I like it! :)

Thanks very much for taking a listen and commenting, kryptonaut. Glad you found the duality of this one to your liking :tu:

Very nice minimalistic work. Subtle but interesting enough to keep me listening through it even though it was longer than most songs I listen to. I was waiting for drums for some reason (i haven't got much experience of minimalistic pieces) but it was good as it is.

chasmcg wrote:Sounds like an outer space theme for a movie like 2001. Sounds nice, not what I listen to or play but nice.
I can certainly relate to the outer space association, and that film may have been an indirect influence here.

Thanks very much for the listen and comments, chas. Glad you liked it :)

Hezekiel wrote:Very nice minimalistic work. Subtle but interesting enough to keep me listening through it even though it was longer than most songs I listen to. I was waiting for drums for some reason (i haven't got much experience of minimalistic pieces) but it was good as it is.
I think minimalistic is an accurate summary of this one. I am trying to get myself into the habit of making a couple of pieces like this every year. It's nice to get away from more complex/varied arrangements once in a while, even if only to recharge my batteries for the next track.

I am having difficulty putting together a percussion track for this. The only scenario that I could envision would be DnB, but even that would present many difficulties :wink:

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Hezekiel. Glad you liked it :)

I agree: This is unsettling. It doesn't unsettle ME though; my baseline state of being is already considerably unsettled. ;-)

Best wishes to you for whatever personal life experiences drove the tone of this piece.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:I agree: This is unsettling. It doesn't unsettle ME though; my baseline state of being is already considerably unsettled. ;-)

Best wishes to you for whatever personal life experiences drove the tone of this piece.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Jace :) I think most listeners found this unsettling, although the "softness" of the sounds used disguise that to a degree.

Thanks for the best wishes. I was in a fairly dark place 3 years ago. I think this piece helped me to come to terms with the event that put me there.

:hug:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

seismic1 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 am The Ambient Online Compilation: Volume 6 has just been released. Here is my contribution to the album. I put this together quite quickly (not really surprising, given the minimal nature of the piece), although it felt like the music was assembling itself, beyond my control. The only difference between this and the album version is in the mastering. The track itself is a belated response to a major "lifestyle" event a few years ago.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/ventilator

The full album may be found here:-

https://ambientonline.bandcamp.com/albu ... n-volume-6

At $9.99 this represents excellent value, featuring 114 tracks, provided by the members of AmbientOnline, and clocking in at over 18 hours!
I sincerely enjoyed the YT video you just made and I plan to make a response for that over the next few days. Today I wanted to do something artistic with Ventilator and did some spoken word over this haunting track:

https://youtu.be/VqpmE_DN2Rc

Return to “Music Cafe”