Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haven't followed NAMM or any gear stuff for a while since I got my Bass Station II (love it!), was in a shop randomly and saw this for the first time. Within seconds I was sold, I cannot believe how good this sounds, how good the build quality is, how full the feature set is, and most of all, how EASY and intuitive it is to program (this is a big reason why I looked into hardware synths in the first place when I bought my Minibrute a few years ago). I LOVE the waveshaping functionality; while the Bass Station has this as well, it is a total pain to use, hidden behind a shift-function and +/- buttons instead of a dial. Being able to play different types of chords (I think it was 14?) instantly is great for us non-piano players, and I actually love the sound of the delay - people complain it's noisy, but I like it more as a reverb - I generally know how a patch will sound delayed, but being able to test it with reverb on the fly makes creating useful patches much more intuitive for me.

I only had three main complaints with it, two of which are fairly minor: 1) the lack of a latch function on the arpeggiator (would love this but I can live without it), 2) the low-end/bass sounds aren't as good as the Bass Station (I'm sure creative people will have few problems, but again, intuitiveness is key...and besides, I would be using this for pads/leads/stabs mostly anyway), and 3) I wasn't huge on the filter, for a couple of reasons. For one, it's only a low-pass filter. Maybe this is standard for polysynths (I've never seriously looked into one before)? The lack of a band-pass and resonant high-pass is really unfortunate, especially for pads. Yeah I know the delay has a high-pass that can be used, but it seems more just for cutting low frequencies since it can't be routed or used with resonance. Also, the low-pass filter itself sounds good enough, but between the three that I've used extensively (Minibrute, Bass Station II, and Monotron/MS-20), it really doesn't sound nearly as good with the resonance up or have a sound that inspires creative sound design in my case.

That being said, without a doubt I'll be picking one of these up when they become available. They're sold out throughout the world from what I can tell, but in recent years I haven't seen Korg have any serious supply issues, so I'm confident that they'll be not too hard to get by the end of the year (I had to wait ages for the Minibrute and Bass Station II). My only worry is that in a year Korg will have a new version that's even better, as they often do, making this one hard to sell if I want to upgrade...but that's a silly thing to think about right now!

Ok sorry for gushing...just absolutely loved my time with this and haven't been this quickly sold on a new piece of gear...well, ever!

First sample library based on MiniLogue?

http://samplesfrommars.com/collections/ ... -from-mars

Sorry but $30 for 30 presets from a $500 synth that's contemporary to us is a bit much, right?

Is the sequencer annoying anyone else?

I've found out there is no way to stop the sequencer pattern playing when you have it sync'd to your DAW, making it pretty much useless if you want any part of the Minilouge sync'd. (LFO etc)

The only way to be able to use this sync'd is to clear the pattern from each patch then save the patch manually, which is a real pain.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this as it seems like such a basic oversight and annoying thing to have to do to be able to use it sync'd.

barryfell wrote:Is the sequencer annoying anyone else?

I've found out there is no way to stop the sequencer pattern playing when you have it sync'd to your DAW, making it pretty much useless if you want any part of the Minilouge sync'd. (LFO etc)

The only way to be able to use this sync'd is to clear the pattern from each patch then save the patch manually, which is a real pain.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this as it seems like such a basic oversight and annoying thing to have to do to be able to use it sync'd.
Why blame the minilogue when its your DAW sending start / stop commands, why not just filter them out :?

moho wrote:

Why blame the minilogue when its your DAW sending start / stop commands, why not just filter them out :?
Can you explain how to filter out start/stop commands in Cubase and Live please? I've asked people about this before but nobody has mentioned that. For me I can only seem to either send MIDI clock or not. No option to filter out start/stop.

barryfell wrote:
Can you explain how to filter out start/stop commands in Cubase and Live please? I've asked people about this before but nobody has mentioned that. For me I can only seem to either send MIDI clock or not. No option to filter out start/stop.
Try MIDI OX with MIDI Yoke
Though if you don't start the minilogues sequencer you will not benefit from the motion sequencing
better to simply hit record when playing hold down the rest button and bye bye notes. :)

moho wrote:
barryfell wrote:
Try MIDI OX with MIDI Yoke
Thanks, but I'd need some more guidance on them in order to filter out start and stop messages. Can you help?
Though if you don't start the minilogues sequencer you will not benefit from the motion sequencing
better to simply hit record when playing hold down the rest button and bye bye notes. :)
I've been using the motion sequencer, which I like, but obviously I have to clear the notes pattern every time.

Using rest would be an (awkward) option if I was always recording in live, but I don't really work like that. I keep all my hardware as MIDI for a good while before I record it.

It's a shame there isn't just an option to disable the note sequencer on the hardware. Seems like a glaring omission to me.

Also, it's a shame you can't hold shift then move a knob to get the parameter value of the preset. I really miss that function from other hardware I have.

barryfell wrote:
Also, it's a shame you can't hold shift then move a knob to get the parameter value of the preset. I really miss that function from other hardware I have.
Yeah a simple led to show a knobs preset value like the radias, the catch up setting helps to stop massive jumps but I know what you mean, there's a whole screen to display if your at the preset value maybe another firm ware update is in order. :pray:

I've found out there is no way to stop the sequencer pattern playing when you have it sync'd to your DAW.
Must be the daw, pc or interface. When midi clock is set to "auto" , I can start and stop the sequencer for, my MC909. It happens whenever minilogue receives clock signals and stops recieving them by midi. Shouldn't most daws be able to do that?

IncarnateX wrote:

I've found out there is no way to stop the sequencer pattern playing when you have it sync'd to your DAW.
Must be the daw, pc or interface. When midi clock is set to "auto" , I can start and stop the sequencer for, my MC909. It happens whenever minilogue receives clock signals and stops recieving them by midi. Shouldn't most daws be able to do that?
I meant it will start and stop when I start and stop my DAW. That's useless to me as I don't want the Minilogue to be playing for the entire track. Who would? :?

barryfell wrote:
I meant it will start and stop when I start and stop my DAW. That's useless to me as I don't want the Minilogue to be playing for the entire track. Who would? :?
Yes I know what you mean and as said, on "auto" in the global midi edit, minilogues seq should start and stop in so far as your daws sends mid clock signals when it starts and stops sending when it stops. See in your daws midi settings whether it sends clock outs along with notes messages.

Edit: Oh, maybe i didn't get it after all. If you want lfo or other things synced, but not hear the seq, only way is to erease the notes.

IncarnateX wrote:
barryfell wrote:
Yes I know what you mean and as said, on "auto" in the global midi edit, minilogues seq should start and stop in so far as your daws sends mid clock signals when it starts and stops sending when it stops. See in your daws midi settings whether it sends clock outs along with notes messages.

Edit: Oh, maybe i didn't get it after all. If you want lfo or other things synced, but not hear the seq, only way is to erase the notes.
Yes it's your edit that is correct. The sequencer is starting and stopping in line with my DAW transport. As I say though, that's useless and annoying to me. Thanks anyway though. :)

I guess i'll just have to spend some time going through and erasing the notes on each patch.

I don't suppose anyone has already done this and can send me the dump file? :D

We just received Minilogue's in stock and have two that aren't spoken for:

www.jrrshop.com/korg-minilogue

Uncle E wrote:We just received Minilogue's in stock and have two that aren't spoken for:

http://www.jrrshop.com/korg-minilogue
So the minibacklogue is cleared now :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”