Most stable nonsense free DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJBuddhaBear wrote:Propellerhead's Reason.

I have literally never had a single crash in all the years I have used it.
Yeah Id have to second that. As far as stability goes, Reason is on another level from the other guys. With that being said, the stability award for any non-Reason DAW would have to go to Reaper. Especially in its current version, its pretty rock solid.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

He/she's looking for free daw.

Reaper isn't free.

Musical Gym wrote:He/she's looking for free daw.
Thank you for all the replies, not necessarily free but at least sub $50 as finances are real tight and i am a "HE" lol!!!

Regards
Surreal

jjpscott01 wrote:
DJBuddhaBear wrote:Propellerhead's Reason.

I have literally never had a single crash in all the years I have used it.
Yeah Id have to second that. As far as stability goes, Reason is on another level from the other guys. With that being said, the stability award for any non-Reason DAW would have to go to Reaper. Especially in its current version, its pretty rock solid.
Yep.

Reason essentials fits the bill whilst the OP is low on cash. He can demo it for 30 days (and get a free upgrade to V9 if buying now)

NAD wrote:REAPER

What do you consider "nonsense free in terms of workflow"? Edit: Ah, i see now that you explained it on the first page. Well, it would be important to know if VST support is a requirement then. For your budget, i'd say Reaper or Reason Essentials then. Or, better even, check the market place for a used copy of Studio One 2 Producer. :)

surreal wrote:Thank you.. is Reaper very stable?
No, the opposite

chk071 wrote:What do you consider "nonsense free in terms of workflow"? Edit: Ah, i see now that you explained it on the first page. Well, it would be important to know if VST support is a requirement then. For your budget, i'd say Reaper or Reason Essentials then. Or, better even, check the market place for a used copy of Studio One 2 Producer. :)
Thank You vsry much.. I will try that and check it out!! Seems as if people have varied opinions on Reaper though... at the end of the day I must try out these three recommendations and then see how it all pans out. A pity that the free version of presonus studio1 does not host atleast one vst just to test.

surreal wrote:
chk071 wrote:What do you consider "nonsense free in terms of workflow"? Edit: Ah, i see now that you explained it on the first page. Well, it would be important to know if VST support is a requirement then. For your budget, i'd say Reaper or Reason Essentials then. Or, better even, check the market place for a used copy of Studio One 2 Producer. :)
Thank You vsry much.. I will try that and check it out!! Seems as if people have varied opinions on Reaper though... at the end of the day I must try out these three recommendations and then see how it all pans out. A pity that the free version of presonus studio1 does not host atleast one vst just to test.
I am selling :D

Just get Reaper. Very stable, undemanding. It's very complex but not in a 'nonsense' way, just has every possible option hidden in it somewhere. If you're just recording, and using some plugins, don't need great sequencer features, it's great. (You can also use the uncrippled demo version with no limitations until you're ready to pay the very reasonable cost of a license.)

The honest answer to your question is none of them except Reason.

Because while the daws might not be too buggy the vsts will be and you'll find yourself in a bell hole if you happen to have a buggy vst.

I've had several crashes with reaper and it's widely regarded as being stable so I can tell you - the most stable proper daw doesn't exist. Reason is the closest you'll ever get and I don't even remember the last time it crashed.

That's what i'm using since 2006 (and it is updated by the developer too before anybody claim it isn't).
You can load VST's and customize your workflow.

http://jeskola.net/buzz/
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

keyman_sam wrote:The honest answer to your question is none of them except Reason.

Because while the daws might not be too buggy the vsts will be and you'll find yourself in a bell hole if you happen to have a buggy vst.
Reaper and Bitwig have plugin firewalling... it's not enabled in Reaper by default, but you can either turn it on globally or on a per plugin basis. Neither of them need dongles either, which is a potential source of misery eliminated.

Ahhh man this brings back memories.. I loved Tunafish. So sad that Bram, who clearly is a very talented developer, ceased development on this and his other projects.. :(
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”