Magix buys Sony Creative Software (Acid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

One issue that comes to mind about Magix, is the fact they don't offer upgrade options that I'm aware of. If you consider their consumer software, It doesn't matter how many versions you own- unless you happen to get an email offer for a good discount- you're paying full price! Magix has a history of only updating the GUI's of programs and plugins, but don't really add major new features. :x

Magix has been running a con game for awhile now. Take Magix music maker deluxe for example. My first version was 2005. It had quite a few features that were slowly stripped away in later versions. Video editing is among the features that was stripped. I think with version 12, they took away VST support and made it for the premium version, then added it back after complaints. They have Music maker live that has a so called new feature for live triggering, which was an feature of earlier MM versions, again, simply re-instated! The only thing they really do is add a new limited toy instrument, and update the graphics. Their instruments always have silly limitations. Is this the formula they intend for the Sony line?

They have a 1 year free update policy, but they rarely release any for their consumer stuff. You see a number of competitors releasing frequent updates, but,not Magix. The big question is... are they planning to ditch upgrade pricing for the Sony products!? :roll:

I get upgrade offers all the time. I got one for Music Maker this morning.
Upgrade to Music Maker 2016 Premium at this special price and receive our 3 best Soundpool collections absolutely for free!

This one-time summer upgrade is available only until May 31, 2016.

Only £39.99 (regularly £159.96)
They do it differently for each product in that they have a series of upgrade offers for some and straight upgrades for others (such as the Xara line).

I you're ever without an upgrade option, you just need to contact them for one.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

pc2000 wrote:One issue that comes to mind about Magix, is the fact they don't offer upgrade options that I'm aware of. If you consider their consumer software, It doesn't matter how many versions you own- unless you happen to get an email offer for a good discount- you're paying full price! Magix has a history of only updating the GUI's of programs and plugins, but don't really add major new features. :x

Magix has been running a con game for awhile now. Take Magix music maker deluxe for example. My first version was 2005. It had quite a few features that were slowly stripped away in later versions. Video editing is among the features that was stripped. I think with version 12, they took away VST support and made it for the premium version, then added it back after complaints. They have Music maker live that has a so called new feature for live triggering, which was an feature of earlier MM versions, again, simply re-instated! The only thing they really do is add a new limited toy instrument, and update the graphics. Their instruments always have silly limitations. Is this the formula they intend for the Sony line?

They have a 1 year free update policy, but they rarely release any for their consumer stuff. You see a number of competitors releasing frequent updates, but,not Magix. The big question is... are they planning to ditch upgrade pricing for the Sony products!? :roll:
this may be true for lower grade stuff but Samplitude Pro and Sequoia have an upgrade policy and always have. When Pro X came out (12) they tried to change it to a two tier system and customers freaked out because they lost fx and some other feature unless they went to the "suite" tier for more money. Magix quickly amended that and everyone got the suite for the same price. With Pro X2 the prices where more reasonable for the upgrade as were the price of the original purchase price which were slashed Pro X@ is 499 usd and Pro X2 suite is 599usd (and some awesome crossgrades out there). On top of that they through in the cleaning and restoration suite for pro x owners. They also have a much longer amount of time between paid upgrades then other companies, so you save money over time. Right now upgrade for Pro X2 is 199 usd and 299 usd fro X2 Suite from from the last version and I just found upgrading from version 8 up an upgrade for 199 usd...really doesn't sound like a con game to me like you are accusing them of. But if that's how you feel dont buy it, but check your facts first before you spread misinformation. (link below with links to shopping)

When I got into Samplitude Pro it was version 9 (2007), I got a crossgrade for 399 (no proof required and it was the boxed version, but typically you need proof of another DAW) but the normal price was $1,110 for the full version (it seem in the link below now you can get a crossgrade for 299 for Pro X2 and 499 for Pro X2 Suite but I bet you can find better if you wait)...I didn't upgrade to 10 until 11 came out and stayed with ten for a short period. I am on Pro X2 (13) now and because of deals and special offers I am just about up to that original $1,100 plus 199 for the C&R suite as my total investment for 5 versions (so basically I saved the value of 4 free upgrades over 9 years). I dont know where you got your info and yes on the very cheap lower end products they do not offer upgrade prices (I have used their movie maker and run into this) but their high end stuff they do indeed have upgrade paths...if they didn't they would not have any users left.

As for new features the truth is if anything they have a habit of not fixing minor bugs while adding major new features. One example is Magix buying Yellow Tools Independence which Yellow Tools was absolutely a horrible company to deal with (I know, I had serious issues with them) and Indy is a great Sampler now running great in Samp, they also added the AM-suite during the time I have been using Samp which are some of the best plugins I have used and do not use 3rd party plugins. I suppose I could go find a link where it shows what they added with each version but the I suspect you just have no experience with the top of the line products, they even gave customers the choice of a dongle or serial number activation two versions ago ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=samplit ... art=0&sa=N
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You say they update and then mention Independence, you are kidding right, the only thing they updated on that was the way it was downloaded.
Duh

Hink wrote:
pc2000 wrote:One issue that comes to mind about Magix, is the fact they don't offer upgrade options that I'm aware of. If you consider their consumer software, It doesn't matter how many versions you own- unless you happen to get an email offer for a good discount- you're paying full price! Magix has a history of only updating the GUI's of programs and plugins, but don't really add major new features. :x

this may be true for lower grade stuff but Samplitude Pro and Sequoia have an upgrade policy and always have. When Pro X came out (12) they tried to change it to a two tier system and customers freaked out because they lost fx and some other feature unless they went to the "suite" tier for more money. Magix quickly amended that and everyone got the suite for the same price. With Pro X2 the prices where more reasonable for the upgrade as were the price of the original purchase price which were slashed Pro X@ is 499 usd and Pro X2 suite is 599usd (and some awesome crossgrades out there). On top of that they through in the cleaning and restoration suite for pro x owners. They also have a much longer amount of time between paid upgrades then other companies, so you save money over time. Right now upgrade for Pro X2 is 199 usd and 299 usd fro X2 Suite from from the last version and I just found upgrading from version 8 up an upgrade for 199 usd...really doesn't sound like a con game to me like you are accusing them of. But if that's how you feel dont buy it, but check your facts first before you spread misinformation. (link below with links to shopping)

When I got into Samplitude Pro it was version 9 (2007), I got a crossgrade for 399 (no proof required and it was the boxed version, but typically you need proof of another DAW) but the normal price was $1,110 for the full version (it seem in the link below now you can get a crossgrade for 299 for Pro X2 and 499 for Pro X2 Suite but I bet you can find better if you wait)...I didn't upgrade to 10 until 11 came out and stayed with ten for a short period. I am on Pro X2 (13) now and because of deals and special offers I am just about up to that original $1,100 plus 199 for the C&R suite as my total investment for 5 versions (so basically I saved the value of 4 free upgrades over 9 years). I dont know where you got your info and yes on the very cheap lower end products they do not offer upgrade prices (I have used their movie maker and run into this) but their high end stuff they do indeed have upgrade paths...if they didn't they would not have any users left.

As for new features the truth is if anything they have a habit of not fixing minor bugs while adding major new features. One example is Magix buying Yellow Tools Independence which Yellow Tools was absolutely a horrible company to deal with (I know, I had serious issues with them) and Indy is a great Sampler now running great in Samp, they also added the AM-suite during the time I have been using Samp which are some of the best plugins I have used and do not use 3rd party plugins. I suppose I could go find a link where it shows what they added with each version but the I suspect you just have no experience with the top of the line products, they even gave customers the choice of a dongle or serial number activation two versions ago ;)

It shows that you didn't pay much attention to what I stated! I only spoke about CONSUMER software! Please point out where I mentioned their Pro products. Several months ago, I received an email for Samplitude ProX 2 for $199 US. I also had the same offer for Video Pro X2. I don't own either pro version, yet received limited time offers at the upgrade pricing.

The specific point I was making about them, was whether they will do the same to Sony's consumer versions, that they do to their own-when it comes to no upgrade pricing!

@pc2000 read my post above. Magix do offer upgrade pricing for consumer products.

khanyz wrote:@pc2000 read my post above. Magix do offer upgrade pricing for consumer products.
Most companies offer deals such as I already stated in my comment previous to yours, when I mentioned Magix pro software. I get discounted offers from them often. I get limited time offers by many companies. Special sales aren't the same as having everyday upgrade pricing like many companies offer!

pc2000 wrote:
khanyz wrote:@pc2000 read my post above. Magix do offer upgrade pricing for consumer products.
Most companies offer deals such as I already stated in my comment previous to yours, when I mentioned Magix pro software. I get discounted offers from them often. I get limited time offers by many companies. Special sales aren't the same as having everyday upgrade pricing like many companies offer!
They do offer everyday upgrade pricing for some products, such as the Xara line, which is consumer. We can't say which model they will use for the Sony stuff, but saying there is none is wrong. There is always an upgrade option for all products. Whether you like it, or not, is another issue.

pc2000 wrote:
Hink wrote:

It shows that you didn't pay much attention to what I stated! I only spoke about CONSUMER software! Please point out where I mentioned their Pro products. Several months ago, I received an email for Samplitude ProX 2 for $199 US. I also had the same offer for Video Pro X2. I don't own either pro version, yet received limited time offers at the upgrade pricing.

The specific point I was making about them, was whether they will do the same to Sony's consumer versions, that they do to their own-when it comes to no upgrade pricing!
you are indeed correct, I did miss that...apologies :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

bungle wrote:You say they update and then mention Independence, you are kidding right, the only thing they updated on that was the way it was downloaded.
and the fact there is actually some support now, if you ever dealt with YT and Christian you too would consider that an update :hihi:...I'm not sure but I also think Indy is now 64 bit as well. Also now Vandal and it's fx are available inside of Indy, though I am not a fan of the gui. (not sure about other Magix plugins if they also work in Indy but I will test it). The codemeter has been dropped as well, I started with Indy before Magix bought it and I had to use two codemeters now that Magix has given users the option of the dongle or not I have removed two dongles from my machine.

khanyz wrote:
pc2000 wrote:
They do offer everyday upgrade pricing for some products, such as the Xara line, which is consumer. We can't say which model they will use for the Sony stuff, but saying there is none is wrong. There is always an upgrade option for all products. Whether you like it, or not, is another issue.
Does the upgrade pricing only show in a users account, because, I've never seen an upgrade link on their US. product pages! Most companies list an upgrade path along with the regular price for new users on the product page. Please post the links to what you say, which is better than saying it exist- when I can't find it! That's an easy way to conclude this debate is it not? I will gladly except being incorrect in my assessment. :ud:

Magix is top shelf products. They will do wonders with this tech.

Hink wrote:
bungle wrote:You say they update and then mention Independence, you are kidding right, the only thing they updated on that was the way it was downloaded.
and the fact there is actually some support now, if you ever dealt with YT and Christian you too would consider that an update :hihi:...I'm not sure but I also think Indy is now 64 bit as well. Also now Vandal and it's fx are available inside of Indy, though I am not a fan of the gui. (not sure about other Magix plugins if they also work in Indy but I will test it). The codemeter has been dropped as well, I started with Indy before Magix bought it and I had to use two codemeters now that Magix has given users the option of the dongle or not I have removed two dongles from my machine.
Just to be clear
1 it was 64 bit a long time before Magix bought it
2 the dongle and codemeter where removed a long time before magix bought it

Independence could be great, magix bought it to get thr licence fees from Time n space or whoever else uses engine, in fact engine gets updates that indy doesnt and it is a cut version of indy wtf ??
Duh

bungle wrote:
Hink wrote:
Just to be clear
1 it was 64 bit a long time before Magix bought it
2 the dongle and codemeter where removed a long time before magix bought it

Independence could be great, magix bought it to get thr licence fees from Time n space or whoever else uses engine, in fact engine gets updates that indy doesnt and it is a cut version of indy wtf ??
I'll take your word for it, it was dongle when I bought it and I have had it since 2009, when Pro X ditched both dongles so did I...but still I have never dealt with worse service than Christian at YT...that was Indy pro 2.0 upgrading to 2.5 I believe...I'm not searching for it but there is a thread about it in everything else. If you have gripe with Magix take it up with them, they have been very good to me ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”