Official Arturia VCollection5 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

artao wrote:Yes, I watched the video. It is a good video and explains bit depth well. (altho I've always thought that guy comes off as a bit arrogant and condescending)
Notice tho the difference between the dithered and undithered audio.
16-bit? Yes. You certainly shouldn't be hearing any distortions or glitching. That doesn't mean it can't happen with a sub-par DAC -- particularly if not properly dithered.
We even deliberately use sample reduction to get this digital distortion.

My misunderstand then re: you playing notes at 88.2khz. Perhaps you can see, from your post, how I could have thought that.
Still. You're hearing aliasing when playing notes at 10khz? ... I don't know WHAT you're hearing, but it's not aliasing.
My hostility comes form the ridiculousness of the vocal minority of users (on internet forums solely, in my experience) who insist that Arturia's synths are aliasing. Many of them even saying that it's intolerable aliasing and that they would never use an Arturia product because of it.
This is patently ridiculous.
Of course tho, to all those few people who DO hear the alleged aliasing, all the rest of us need to get our ears checked.
I'm fricken sick of it!! It's a load of shit.
The sound of aliasing is SO OBVIOUS that if it were actually there, NO ONE would be denying it's presence, and there would be no debate about whether it actually exists or not in Arturia's synths.

Note the Sound on Sound article I linked, where the reviewer talks about how the Arturia's Prophet VS LACKS the aliasing present in the ACTUAL Prophet VS.
But of course, those who claim Arturia's synths DO alias probably hear that aliasing.
I wonder why the rest of us don't. ... hmmm ..... surely the majority of people must be wrong, and the vocal minority must be correct. That's usually the case, right?

As to this being the official Arturia page ... I can see why you might be under that impression, given the title of this thread.
However, this is NOT the official Arturia page. Nor are they likely to notice your comments or alleged proof in this mass of noise. If you look through this particular thread -- even tho it was indeed started by an Arturia representative -- there is little to no activity from anyone from Arturia.
This is more of an announcement thread, which has turned into a user discussion.
There is an official Arturia forum on KVR. That would be much likelier to actually get noticed by Arturia.
Their official forums on their own website is probably even more likely to get noticed.
And finally, the BEST way to get ahold of Arturia is via email.

Again I say: If Arturia's synths actually aliased like some people complain about (sorry to lump you in that category, since you state it's not all that bothersome to you. Altho you did go to an awful lot of trouble to try and point out this alleged aliasing) then they certainly wouldn't be as big and popular as they are, and reviewers would certainly be pointing it out.
Aliasing is an OBVIOUS digital artifact. I have tried to produce aliasing with Arturia's synths, at frequencies well above 10khz, with several of their synths.
I have yet to hear any. I don't know what y'all are talking about, but it sure ain't aliasing. And I am sick to death of people talking about it. THAT is why I'm hostile on this subject. I'm just sick of it. It's utter nonsense. Were there actually aliasing there, no one would be saying there isn't aliasing. And the vast majority of people aren't hearing any of this alleged aliasing.

Arturia's synths have some issues, sure. But aliasing isn't one of them.
nuf said
This is the way i like to talk about this stuff, no need to get hostile. So thnx for that.

The amount of work was, like, 4 minutes...And it was more for myself then for this thread, because i heard this stuff and wanted to know what it was. And it looks like aliasing.

Now, having that said; when i compare these Arturia synths to some other synths, then yes, there are synths which use oversample, or different filtering (Oddity2 is a good example). But, and this is a big but ( 8) ), i don't care, because of the effect in the mix. The sound in my mixes is just good. I can't hear the aliasing, so indeed, there is no problem in terms of making tracks.

One final point about dithering; you noticed the dithering part, but seem to lack the idea of on what levels this all is going on. It is all so quiet. And this is explained in the video as well. It is some kind of insurance policy, nothing more. And only for 16 bit or lower. On higher bit depths, it won't do anything (audible). Even at 16 bit it is kinda silly...but, fair enough.

"16-bit? Yes. You certainly shouldn't be hearing any distortions or glitching. That doesn't mean it can't happen with a sub-par DAC -- particularly if not properly dithered." A sub-par/el cheapo DAC (but 16 bit) should play everything glitch free (also explained in the video). When this isn't the case, the device is broken. Also, be aware that the noise level at -72 dB is at 8 bit.

"...It's utter nonsense." No. Otherwise all my devices should be 'weird'. I have recorded and viewed the waves. Nothing special about that. Just imperical, objective measures.

Re: Bit depth. While I certainly can't hear the difference between 24-bit and 16-bit, I can hear the difference between 16-bit and 8-bit. ;)

If you're hearing aliasing at 10khz, that would mean the internal sampling rate of the synth would be, at best, 40khz, no? Probably even lower.
I just can't see that being the case. There's no way the profession industry would let that slide, particularly considering Arturia's claim of being alias-free.

artao wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
uhhhhhh .... hardware ... aliasing
You DO realize that aliasing is a digital artifact only. Analog synths can't and don't alias. :dog:
There are also analog hardware with digital oscillators
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

i updated v3 to v4, but this time i see no reason for 200€ to get some more piano sounds. and the new GUI for 100€, no thanks

sacer wrote:i updated v3 to v4, but this time i see no reason for 200€ to get some more piano sounds. and the new GUI for 100€, no thanks
You mean the Farfisa and Synclavier? They're great, just saying...

I also like the Piano V, because it has some very special models not found elsewhere (at least I haven't seen them elsewhere). The glass and metal piano. Cool sounds.

If you guys want to hear what the Synclavier V sounds like, I did a little video of myself noodling around with it. I have no real goal in mind, and I am far from an expert with this vst, or any vst for that matter. But I kind of like when I see regular people using a vst, rather than a person who knows everything about it. I think it's an amazing vst from a musical perspective, and I am having a lot of fun fiddling with it.

This is, at the very least, my interpretation of what I just bought. I can neither confirm nor deny anything I say in this video is feature accurate, but it is what I think is going on. Might be helpful to see a regular person struggle with a new vst.

If you are on the fence about it, maybe this will help confirm or condemn it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMcyxIrpZw
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

artao wrote:Re: Bit depth. While I certainly can't hear the difference between 24-bit and 16-bit, I can hear the difference between 16-bit and 8-bit. ;) well, yeah, but that is not what we are talking about. You said issues can arrise at the settings this other guy was using; 48khz at 16 bit. And i am saying this shouldn't add issues at all. Unless the device is broken

If you're hearing aliasing at 10khz, that would mean the internal sampling rate of the synth would be, at best, 40khz, no? Probably even lower.
I just can't see that being the case. There's no way the profession industry would let that slide, particularly considering Arturia's claim of being alias-free. so what do you say? That i am lying? I only recorded the sounds and it is shown that "stuff" is happening, within the audible audio range. You know, we are not talking 15k or higher here. But around 10k. I don't care what they say about their own engine. It is just seller speach. I know what i hear and see.
But again, and i will leave it after this, i really don't care that much about this artifact. And i am not sure it is there in every Arturia plugin. The test was done with ARP2600, cause i heard it the most in that one. And not because i was searching for it. But just in a practical situation.
Last edited by exmatproton on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

I hate you all. LOL.

Norrin_Radd wrote:If you guys want to hear what the Synclavier V sounds like, I did a little video of myself noodling around with it. I have no real goal in mind, and I am far from an expert with this vst, or any vst for that matter. But I kind of like when I see regular people using a vst, rather than a person who knows everything about it. I think it's an amazing vst from a musical perspective, and I am having a lot of fun fiddling with it.

This is, at the very least, my interpretation of what I just bought. I can neither confirm nor deny anything I say in this video is feature accurate, but it is what I think is going on. Might be helpful to see a regular person struggle with a new vst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMcyxIrpZw
Haha, I have two pronunciations for it to but they're both way different than yours. I always pronounce it either:

1. sin'-clave-ee-ar

or:

2. sync'-lave-ee-ar

Good video.

stardustmedia wrote:
artao wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:All the hardware I spent years using aliased very badly. The analog hardware I owned was far too mush of an pain in the ass to use for real work. So the fact that a plugin aliases more than many of it's competitors doesn't bug me much because of the fact that I can use as many instances of it as I want and that it has tons of added useful features past just the ability to recall your settings when loading a song. I know how to program around aliasing to a good enough degree where it has never been an issue that caused me problems.
You DO realize that aliasing is a digital artifact only. Analog synths can't and don't alias. :dog:

He did say "analog synths" not "hardware synths" ... if a hardware synth has digital oscillators it's not really analog.

I think we're all aware that you enjoy aliasing, but you completely miss the point. The Arturia synths we're talking about are emulations of analog synths that are by their nature free of such artifacts. Note I didn't complain about Synclavier V. Why are you so against progress? It doesn't have to be like the new Roland plugs ins/outs that force you to use them only at their highest quality. It could be like U-He does it with their different quality modes. Why would you be against that?

Prior to this update, I'd never recommend Mini V to anyone. I'd suggest Minimonsta for someone who wanted something that was light on CPU. Now I would wholeheartedly recommend Mini V, and I have.

Anyway, I'm the guy who doesn't mind the "pain in the ass" of working with a true analog to get a bit of extra quality in the sound. In fact, I find the process rewarding sometimes and a nice change of pace from using plug ins, though I'll admit that the workflow of virtual instruments is really superior in many respects. It's like the turntable my wife got me for my birthday. At first I thought, "Oh crap." I remember the PITA that dealing with records was like. Anyway, after a little while with it, I found myself really enjoying it. Not for the sound characteristics of it, but for the process. It feels nice to be slowed down a bit and really commit. It's like a little ritual.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

thecontrolcentre wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:
artao wrote:

He did say "analog synths" not "hardware synths" ... if a hardware synth has digital oscillators it's not really analog.
I know that too, but a lot are confused. They think all hardware is all analog. Some even think Virus or Nord Lead are analog. Ok, at least the outputs are analog :D

Norrin_Radd wrote:If you guys want to hear what the Synclavier V sounds like, I did a little video of myself noodling around with it. I have no real goal in mind, and I am far from an expert with this vst, or any vst for that matter. But I kind of like when I see regular people using a vst, rather than a person who knows everything about it. I think it's an amazing vst from a musical perspective, and I am having a lot of fun fiddling with it.

Great video dude! It`s almost enough to convince me to upgrade to get the Synclavier (and all the other stuff), but I`ll probably be okay with the presets in Analog Lab 2 for now.

Maybe I`ll wait until it`s been settled whether or not Arturia`s instruments produce any aliasing :hihi:

hey I installed Analog Lab 2 but I am not getting sound from the standalone or the VST2 I installed. Anyone know what to do with this? I contacted support and waiting to hear back. But was hoping someone here could help?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

A new Arturia tutorial video (May 30th) for the Synclavier-V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYO55G959uc

Return to “Instruments”