2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

and now SSE (older CPU) support for OSX guys:

http://www.designersound.com/product_in ... cts_id=116

this is b477 now. Only change is SSE-support stuff. If you are on win AVX there is no need to download this at the moment if you already have a working beta...

If you have a pre-2011 Mac give it a shot...

Known issues: Over-smapling is not working in this version, use only 1x OS settings for Real-Time and Offline.

Mid 2010 3.33 Ghz Hexacore Xeon (SSE), OS 10.10.5, Ableton Live 9.6.1.

All setup options were left to default settings.

All good here. No crashes. On previous version I had intermittent load errors of images (they'd load with the wrong Y dimesion, but if I reloaded, it would be correct) and that appears to be fixed. Definitely less CPU load, but without the previous version it's hard to tell by how much.

Changing the Feedback or Mod params during playback causes audio glitches, but on some patches it's not very noticeable, so that's an improvement. I was hopeful, but I knew it was a long shot.

The White (Noise) knob seems to be acting differently, but I think it's just my imagination. If anything, it seems to act more like I thought it would, so this is not a complaint. Used my Push 2 to control parameters, which used to sometimes cause crashes in previous versions, and this did not happen wotj 1.1.0, even with fast knob sweeps.

So far I'd say all is very good.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

2ca wrote:>It's an i7 3770k.

in /Library/Application Support/2C-Audio/Kaleidoscope
remove (backup) audplga2.dylib
then remove audplga.dylib, try to load
then remove audplg.dylib and copy back the audplga.dylib, try to load
if it loads check which version it shows on info page (SSE3/42/AVX)

Denis,
2CAudio

Well I should have added it's winblows :D

Edit; Got it to load this time around and it says AVX
Wow this update is awesome, great work!
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Mac Pro 3.1 here, works nice OSX version. Finally I can hear sound without cracking.

Now it is possible to use Kaleidoscope in real time...

2CAudio, you did great job with this update. :tu:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

krankyone wrote: So far I'd say all is very good.
shroom81 wrote: Wow this update is awesome, great work!
Den* wrote: 2CAudio, you did great job with this update. :tu:

Thanks guys!
:tu:

We've posted another version. OSX and Win. This version fixes the "Forgotten settings in Bitwig" issue. No other change. If you are a Bitwig user, download it and give it a try.

I have to post this image. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey not only does it work on my SSE CPU, it seems that your work to support odd buffer depths is working as well! Thanks much.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Galbanum wrote:
krankyone wrote: So far I'd say all is very good.
shroom81 wrote: Wow this update is awesome, great work!
Den* wrote: 2CAudio, you did great job with this update. :tu:

Thanks guys!
:tu:

We've posted another version. OSX and Win. This version fixes the "Forgotten settings in Bitwig" issue. No other change. If you are a Bitwig user, download it and give it a try.

Thanks a bunch Andrew and Denis! Bitwig have dragged their feet for a while on this one so I'm glad you found a workaround your side. Looking forward to a long weekend of atonal drones...

One things has changed to the worse though in the latest Beta, switching presets will always stop play in Logic X, this was definitely not the case in the former version, I am not getting any overload or SR conflict messages like others reported here, but the immediate stop of transport when switching to a new presets is not happening, can you change this in any way to the former behavior or is this just the "new" behavior of KS we have to adapt to?

Sampleconstruct wrote:One things has changed to the worse though in the latest Beta, switching presets will always stop play in Logic X, this was definitely not the case in the former version, I am not getting any overload or SR conflict messages like others reported here, but the immediate stop of transport when switching to a new presets is not happening, can you change this in any way to the former behavior or is this just the "new" behavior of KS we have to adapt to?
I can switch presets and Logic doesn´t stop the playhead... just when i got those annyoing message about faulty sync of midi and audio.

Cinebient wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:One things has changed to the worse though in the latest Beta, switching presets will always stop play in Logic X, this was definitely not the case in the former version, I am not getting any overload or SR conflict messages like others reported here, but the immediate stop of transport when switching to a new presets is not happening, can you change this in any way to the former behavior or is this just the "new" behavior of KS we have to adapt to?
I can switch presets and Logic doesn´t stop the playhead... just when i got those annyoing message about faulty sync of midi and audio.
Interesting, here it always stops play, even if the CPU is hardly showing any activity. I'll do some more testing and also compare it with the behavior in Cubase 8.

I actually was wrong...the playhead even runs further when this messages come. I just have always to klick it away until i can do anything else.
I just tryed it to play a latched arp inside Kaleidoscope and let the playhead run. Then when switching patches i often get those messages but the playhead and the arp (and everything else is still running). It just didn´t get graphically updated until i klick this message away.
However, sadly i still get here and there clicks and cracks while switching patches...otherwise it would be a great thing for live recording.

Working great with AVX2 on my quad core 2.7 GHz Haswell i7 Macbook Pro (2015). DAW is Cubase 8.5.15.

A string resonator patch with 2 partials, 3 duplicates and dynamic input/output takes roughly 40% of one of my 2.7GHz CPUs with auto buffering mode. The same patch with spring resonators takes 25%.

Worst case scenario patch with double string resonators, 6 partials and 6 duplicates takes about 1.5 CPU's and runs smoothly with no audible artifacts from CPU starvation other than the fans spinning up a little bit.

All around feels more responsive especially when really pushed hard.

Great work 2CAudio guys and also thank you for fixing the issue with Bitwig. Cheers :tu:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Hi guys,

The previous builds expire today, June 1st.

We've uploaded another:

If no other issues are reported in the next week or so, this may be final.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Interesting, here it always stops play, even if the CPU is hardly showing any activity. I'll do some more testing and also compare it with the behavior in Cubase 8.
This kind of stuff is not really in our control AFAIK. When we switch presets basically everything in the plug-in alg, data, setup math, etc must change. We want this to happen as fast as possible, otherwise the user experience is not smooth. "As fast as possible" generally means "use all available resources". Well, we do a good job of that. :wink: So yes, on preset change you SHOULD see a very temporary spike in CPU usage, as a ton of other things are happening in the background. But this should only last a small fraction of second. Quite simply, changing settings is not computationally free, and in something like KS, "setup work" is significant.

I'm not quite sure what the Logic (pun intended) is to stop playback or give error messages that can not be disabled is in such circumstances.

Try to see if using 100% threading helps any? (I assume you were using 25% or 50% as I had suggested to get max instances in a DAW?)

Return to “Effects”