Sheddage Bass 2 vs Trillian

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Trillian and it's fine providing the bassline's are not continuous repeating 8th or 16th notes. I find then it it starts to sound a bit synthetic/machine gun like. Sheddage Bass 2 sounds pretty good from the demos I'm wondering how it compares when it comes to playing fast continuous notes in comparison to Trillian?
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Admittedly I'm not quite objective on this so I will let other people speak up, but this is definitely the hardest thing to get sounding 100% realistic. There are two things I did to help with realism:

1. There is a "repetition threshold" and "repetition offset" feature on the advanced page. Let's say you have Note A, and Note B right after it. If Note B is played within X milliseconds (the repetition threshold), then the repetition offset is applied to the sample attack. The idea of this is to approximate what happens when someone is playing a string and striking it again while the string is still vibrating. You wouldn't hear the full attack in this case.

2. There's an option for 'anti-repetition', which retunes adjacent notes and uses them to inject extra variation.

Whether or not this is better than Trillian, well, like I said.. I'm biased! :)
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Hi Zircon,

Thanks for the information. "Repetition threshold/offset" sounds very interesting as does the "anti-repetition" feature. I prefer to play bass lines myself but I also like to program them in as it removes the limitations of my playing. Or if I convert the audio to MIDI I can use a played bassline as an initial idea and expand on it. I must say I like the interface interface you've created and the amount of thought you put into it. It's definitely on my shortlist.

Regards
Kraznet
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

One thing to do in Trilian with repeating bass notes is to alter the velocities of those notes. This adds a little bit of work but it's worth it in the end. This gives me the best results at 8th and 16th notes. Another thing to try on some of the electric basses is to edit the sample start position. I forget what they actually call this but it's in the EDIT window where you can edit the envelopes and such.

Ah yes, you can do that in Shreddage Bass 2 as well (the "Pick Offset" knob, also midi learnable)
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I regularly use Shreddage Bass 2 in some pretty fast metal tracks and I think it sounds amazing. It's good enough for even quick solos without sounding bad or like a machine gun.

warfighter67 wrote:I regularly use Shreddage Bass 2 in some pretty fast metal tracks and I think it sounds amazing. It's good enough for even quick solos without sounding bad or like a machine gun.
Amen brother.
One way or another, you can't deny death.
Simply said...
We're dead but we just don't know it yet.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”