Sylenth1 cannot be run on a virtual machine (fixed)

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

winram wrote:Sylenth1 cannot be run on Windows 10 machines where HyperV is enabled at all. It isn't limited to just virtual machine guest OSs.

This is kind of bad given that it's part of the OS. That's fundamentally what I have a problem with.
Is this really the case - Sylenth 1 won't work in the Win 10 in any way?

I can appreciate that Lennar wants to prevent Sylenth from running within a virtual machine, but enabling Hyper-V on Windows both 8 and 10 changes the kernel and Sylenth can't tell the difference. This is why I have said this is worse than a dongle. I don't run Sylenth in a virtual machine, but it's preventing me from using Windows in a configuration which I require.

It's easily reproducible. Just enable HyperV on Windows 8 or Windows 10, reboot, and you'll never be able to use Sylenth again, even though you'll not be running it within a virtual machine.

It is really the case, and it requires me to uninstall Hyper-V on the machine. It has nothing to do with whether the product is being run in a guest virtual machine or not. It's requiring actual hardware/software configurations which is worse than a dongle requirement.

winram wrote:It is really the case, and it requires me to uninstall Hyper-V on the machine. It has nothing to do with whether the product is being run in a guest virtual machine or not. It's requiring actual hardware/software configurations which is worse than a dongle requirement.
It may be worse for the 1% Sylenth1 users who need Hyper-V on the same machine they use Sylenth1 on yes. And I am truly sorry for those.

However, a dongle is worse for at least 75% of Sylenth1 users. And it's either this or that..
Harry_HH wrote:Is this really the case - Sylenth 1 won't work in the Win 10 in any way?
Of course not. Only if you enable Hyper-V, just like on any other OS.

This is really disappointing. I need Hyper-V on my laptop for work, the same laptop I use for gigging with Ableton Live. It would be really helpful if the check could be modified to only determine if the plugin is running INSIDE a VM rather than simply on a machine where Hyper-V is ENABLED.
Core i9-7940X | Asus Prime X299-A | 64GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 950 Pro 2TB Sys, 860 Evo 4TB Data | Steinberg UR824 & CC121 | Virus TI Desktop | Roli Seabord Rise 2 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Nektar Aura | Roland VG-99 | Win10 Pro x64 | Cubase Pro 12

I just bought and installed Sylenth1 in FL Studio on Windows 10 running in Parallels for Mac not virtual box, but I am getting the same problem. I was able to get my FL Studio to recognize that Sylenth1 existed and it showed up in my 'new plugins' in FL Studio. However, when I went to run it in (anything really), an error message popped up saying that it 'cannot run on a virtual machine'. 1. why is this since it does recognize that Sylenth1 exists and since you created it so that it can run on windows and mac, and my mac parallels is running windows. 2. Will you ever come out with an update that will fix this issue and when? 3. If there isn't a fix, I would like to know how to get a refund, especially since I did not see anything that said it does not run in a virtual machine on the Lennar Digital Website. I'm not mad, just disappointed. I've heard so much about Sylenth1, have watched youtube videos and really have been looking forward to using it so in the best case scenario I would really love to know if there is a fix/update or a way I can run it on mac parallels that is running a windows 10 environment.

95tristanl wrote:I just bought and installed Sylenth1 in FL Studio on Windows 10 running in Parallels for Mac not virtual box, but I am getting the same problem. I was able to get my FL Studio to recognize that Sylenth1 existed and it showed up in my 'new plugins' in FL Studio. However, when I went to run it in (anything really), an error message popped up saying that it 'cannot run on a virtual machine'. 1. why is this since it does recognize that Sylenth1 exists and since you created it so that it can run on windows and mac, and my mac parallels is running windows. 2. Will you ever come out with an update that will fix this issue and when? 3. If there isn't a fix, I would like to know how to get a refund, especially since I did not see anything that said it does not run in a virtual machine on the Lennar Digital Website. I'm not mad, just disappointed. I've heard so much about Sylenth1, have watched youtube videos and really have been looking forward to using it so in the best case scenario I would really love to know if there is a fix/update or a way I can run it on mac parallels that is running a windows 10 environment.
Hi,

1. Parallels is a virtual machine. You're running a virtual Windows on OSX, so Sylenth1 will not work. We recommend installing Windows via Bootcamp on your Mac instead. This is a REAL installation of Windows and hence Sylenth1 will work there and you'll also have better performance. Or you could use FL Studio for Mac Crossover version, Sylenth1 will work there too.

2. No, it's not a bug so there's nothing to fix. The limitation is intentional.

3. If you don't want to run Sylenth1 via bootcamp on your Mac, or via FL Studio Crossover, we can refund your payment (up to 30 days after purchase). Just contact us here for more info.

Same problem here, long time user of sylenth1 so i can't get and/or don't want a refund.

What changed for me? Docker for windows! It was released last month and is asking the user to enable Hyper-V.
It means that we'll get more and more users finding this thread, like me..

Nobody *needs* to run Sylenth1 in a VM, or on a VM host. The fussiness of the KVR crowd is astonishing. A $3k Martin guitar can't be played in the rain, nobody seems to complain about that, but my $150 VST refuses to make me breakfast in bed? What a travesty.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

It seems you don't understand the problem at all, aumordia.

The fact is : We don't run sylenth in a vm BUT We can't run sylenth because of a known false positive of the protection system.

Just because the motherboard option to be able to run a vm on your computer is checked makes your system unable to run sylenth even if you're NOT running it in a VM.

The fussiness comes from a very bad assumption of the protection system, not from the legit customers that needs their computers to ALSO run VM for something else.

And that's not because you don't need this option that you should judge those who need it because music is not the only thing they do on their computers, these days it's pretty common to find musicians that are also developers needing this option (docker / windows 10 ubuntu console).

You'll say that we just have to uncheck this option when we run sylenth, but sometimes when I start a song, I don't know if I will use sylenth yet. If I need it, I have to exit the DAW, disable the option in windows, then reboot the computer, access the boot parameters of the motherboard during the startup to also disable it here, and then when the OS is up again, Then I can start my daw and continue where I was...
Just because lennar wan't to be 100% sure it will not be run on a vm even it's not what I'm not trying to do at all...

I understand the problem better than you apparently ever will.

Lennard, please don't get worn down by the unending blackhole of entitled whining on these forums. You have a ton of well adjusted adult customers who are very pleased with the latest S1 progress, they just don't tend to sink as much time into forum posting as spoiled children do. We support you to the hilt.

We would not be here to talk on this forum without this problem, on the contrary you're writing here without having this problem.

So, aumordia, as you said yourself, please "just don't tend to sink as much time into forum posting as spoiled children do".

lol whatever guy, cry some more about it

This problem is causing me grief as well. I'm a software developer and I do this work on the same machine that I use FL Studio on. Hyper-V is a requirement for the work I do. No other software requires me to do such a significant change to my setup every time I want to use it.

My options are:

1) buy another computer (a big expense given hardware requirements for both activities)
2) uninstall Hyper-V every night, and reinstall it every morning (huge pain in the ass)
3) simply don't use the product (reprogramming existing patches will be laborious)

I purchased it last year and it's been great to use. Given this circumstance and author response, it'll be written off as a loss.

Thanks for making an otherwise great product.

what a coinkydink i'm in the software biz too, somehow i manage to fund having a separate computer for my music (not to mention separate computers for members of my family)

Has this restriction been lifted with the new update?

Return to “LennarDigital”