SlickEQ series updated (Standard, GE and M)

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SlickEQ Standard, GE and M have been updated.

The update includes various stability and usability improvements and custom
stepped parameter handling. SlickEQ M's LEARN/MATCH abilities have been extended to support matching against a custom reference curve, and the feature has been added to SlickEQ GE as well! :) All details below.

Note that updates for Kotelnikov and Nova will follow soon.

Please re-download and install the latest files:

Standard Edition: TDR VOS SlickEQ | Tokyo Dawn Records
Gentleman's Edition: TDR VOS SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition | Tokyo Dawn Records
Mastering Edition: TDR SlickEQ M - Mastering Edition | Tokyo Dawn Records

TDR SlickEQ M - 1.0.1 Maintenance update

# LEARN/MATCH algorithms improved
# Added support for user defined reference curves to LEARN/MATCH.
# The EQ RANGE control can now be switched to RANGE mode also affecting the meta filter amount (double click the label)
# Minor stability and usability fixes
# Text input field below knobs can now be dragged like knobs

TDR VOS SlickEQ GE - 1.2.2 Maintenance update

# New LEARN/MATCH options
# Added support for stepped sliders and custom parameter steps
# Pressing BYPASS while holding Alt resets all parameters affecting gain back to unity
# Fixed a "wheel of death" problem when opening/closing the display or bottom control bar in some DAWs
# Minor UI changes
# Minor stability fixes

TDR VOS SlickEQ - 1.2.2 Maintenance update

# Added support for stepped sliders and custom parameter steps
# Pressing BYPASS while holding Alt resets all parameters affecting gain back to unity
# Minor stability fixes
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Thanks for the great update.
On SlickEQ GE this new learn function saves time that I can work 3x faster. It just shows where are the problems, and it's done.
Superb addition.
I installed two systems on my Mac Pro, and I noticed that under 10.6.8 on Logic 9 SlickEQ GE sounds superb, but on the 10.10.5 under Logic Pro X it sounds a bit different. Do you know that sound in Logic X is completely different from Logic 9?
Whatever I do in the high's it somehow sounds dull.
I wish if I could work in 10.6.8 full time, but few important plugs don't work under 10.6.8...

However I have also SlickEQ M, and must say that is brilliant tool. Finally I found what I wished.
New algo works much better.
Thanks for constantly improving your products, and all the best.

I wish if other companies could work on your way.

Edit: Good news, I installed El Capitano, and the sound in Logic X is more like 10.6.8
Now everything is OK.... EQ settings are the same in 10.6.8 (Logic9), and 10.11.5 (Logic X).

:tu:
Last edited by Den* on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

OK this has officially made it on my "to-buy" list.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

This is how it works: video

https://vid.me/wKxR

Hi Fabian, or VladG

I had to investigate all this, or I thought I'm going crazy. This is result after all analysis.
In the beginning when SlickEQ Free was released I was very happy with it, and others too, after a couple a months that was changed suddenly. Now I have all versions from the internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140629080 ... s-slickeq/

I took all versions since V1.0 and tested them.
So I found that after V1.0.1 something has changed with the sound. So I made a null test with the latest GE version that I have. They will not null. Here is the picture of the null test with identical settings.

Now I know some smoothing was introduced after V1.0.1.
For me the best sound is still V 1.0 or V1.0.1. EQ responds on very low levels clear while latest versions are not crystal clear. I remember on the forums that someone was wrote that should be more smooth, but I don't think so. Like George Massenburg said: "Eq should be sharp like a knife". If someone wants to smooth it out there is
a lot of options for that on the sat section.

Fabfilter Pro-Q first version is still preferable over V2 for cutting lows because it has much more punch, I tested by myself. ProQ2 is much more smoother. Is this a tradeoff for lower CPU or what?

So I always believe first ideas are always the best ones.
Please in the next version, can you bring back that sound of V1.0?
Thank you very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can you share the setting? (or the session)

We really didn't intentionally change anything to the filters or resamplers, so give us some time to investigate further, as it could well be a bug! Standard and GE should be identical across versions.

btw, we're planning to add a "non-natural-phase" (resampling free but corrected) mode in a forthcoming update :)

FabienTDR wrote:Can you share the setting? (or the session)

We really didn't intentionally change anything to the filters or resamplers, so give us some time to investigate further, as it could well be a bug! Standard and GE should be identical across versions.
That's interesting.

I have audio files of 24 bit piano, but it's too much to attach here, however you can try it very simple on any audio file or music:

Settings was used on V1.0.1

<TDRVOSSlickEQ lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="80" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="-6.0" midBandFreqParam="360" highBandGainParam="8.0" highBandFreqParam="5958" highBandShapeParam="On" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="60" outSatModelParam="Mellow" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

Settings on GE latest version:

<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="80" lowBandShapeParam="Bell" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="-6.0" midBandFreqParam="360" midBandShapeParam="Bell" highBandGainParam="8.0" highBandFreqParam="6000" highBandShapeParam="Bell" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="Off" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="22000" lpModeParam="Steep" hpBypassParam="Off" hpFreqParam="60" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Mellow" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off" qualityParam="Full" displayScaleParam="Scale: Auto" showFreqMagnitudeParam="On" hideBottomBarParam="Off" showFFTAnalyzerParam="Analyzer: On"/>

Identical settings without auto gain, because of difference that was changed like VladG explained.

FabienTDR wrote:btw, we're planning to add a "non-natural-phase" (resampling free but corrected) mode in a forthcoming update :)

That is a great news. Thanks

For a fast null test again. Just Hi shelf +8dB on 4KHz both
Calibration 0, no Sat, Mellow mode. German mode both.
I took some ready music from Logic X.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Den* wrote:
FabienTDR wrote:Can you share the setting? (or the session)

That's interesting.

I have audio files of 24 bit piano, but it's too much to attach here, however you can try it very simple on any audio file or music:

Settings was used on V1.0.1

<TDRVOSSlickEQ lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="80" lowBandShapeParam="Off" midBandGainParam="-6.0" midBandFreqParam="360" highBandGainParam="8.0" highBandFreqParam="5958" highBandShapeParam="On" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="Off" hpFreqParam="60" outSatModelParam="Mellow" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off"/>

Settings on GE latest version:

<TDRVOSSlickEQGE lowBandGainParam="0.0" lowBandFreqParam="80" lowBandShapeParam="Bell" lowBandLagParam="Off" midBandGainParam="-6.0" midBandFreqParam="360" midBandShapeParam="Bell" highBandGainParam="8.0" highBandFreqParam="6000" highBandShapeParam="Bell" eqModelParam="British" eqSatParam="Off" lpBypassParam="On" lpFreqParam="22000" lpModeParam="Steep" hpBypassParam="Off" hpFreqParam="60" hpModeParam="Normal" tiltFreqParam="650" tiltValueParam="0.0" tiltBypassParam="On" tiltTypeParam="Normal" outSatModelParam="Mellow" outSatDriveParam="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" bypassParam="Off" modeParam="Stereo" lowBandBypassParam="On" midBandBypassParam="Off" highBandBypassParam="Off" autoGainParam="Off" qualityParam="Full" displayScaleParam="Scale: Auto" showFreqMagnitudeParam="On" hideBottomBarParam="Off" showFFTAnalyzerParam="Analyzer: On"/>

Identical settings without auto gain, because of difference that was changed like VladG explained.
Hey Den, thanks a lot. It's really interesting, we'll investigate it. If the sound of v1.0 was really better it worth to change it back!
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

vladg wrote: Hey Den, thanks a lot. It's really interesting, we'll investigate it. If the sound of v1.0 was really better it worth to change it back!
Great! You are the dream team I will support you always. Thanks.

:tu:

Now I saw the comment on this page: https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/slickeq/

Hi
I must admit that new update of GE version sounds better from the SlickEQ Free V1.0.
Null test in German mode is down to 158dB...
You really did a great job with the GE version.

Thank you very much.

Den

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”