Monophonic adsr retrigger and getting rid of discontinuity in waveform

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be cool to add a transient shaper to the kick drum your doing I'm researching about it right now but its kind of out of my scope atm.

You mean a mechanism for shaping the oscillator amplitude? There's many ways to do that! :)

From what I read from an audiotk blog (linked below) and another post on kvr the most prevalent way is to get the difference of two envelope followers as the amplitude, but I know its a little more involved than that.

http://blog.audio-tk.com/2015/06/30/aud ... nt-shaper/

Yeah that's the basic way of doing it, but inside a synth where you can control amplitude on a per-voice basis, you only need the amp envelope.

Oh I didn't think of that thanks.

antto wrote:for a volume envelope, i would simply switch to attack, keeping the current output level
for any other envelope (for pitch, cutoff frequency or whatever) it doesn't hurt to do a "hard" retrigger

but this "fading" approach just doesn't resonate with my brain too well
I totally agree with that point.

BTW, env reset is why Korg's Minilogue envs tend to click when "portamento" is OFF.
See you here and there... Youtube, Google Play, SoundCloud...

I needed the attack to reset smoothly I don't understand what was meant by keeping the current output level and switching to attack that wouldn't reset it properly. Unless something else was meant by that statement.

well, in situations like this, i tend to ask myself "how would this be done in analog?"
and surely it can be done in many ways, including hard-resetting the envelope to attack

the envelope would probably be done using a capacitor forming a 1st order LPF, with some surrounding circuitry to compare its output voltage and then switch to different "segments" where the actual segments would switch the input voltage resistance as seen by the capacitor, which would effectively change the cutoff frequency and cause it to decay towards a given voltage
with such setup, it'd be simpler to just hardly set the segment to "attack" which would only change the input voltage to the LPF to "1.0", and change its cutoff frequency to that of the attack time, thus the capacitor will start decaying towards 1.0 from where it was, no matter what the actual segment was before that.. in fact, "segment" doesn't make sense to the capacitor, all it knows is that someone is playing with its cutoff and feeding different input voltages

EDIT: a picture says more things
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”