How far have computers come in the last 5 years? For DAW usage?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ahmmmm I changed the titles of that thread. Let's get back on topic.

Ssd drives seem to be a way better deal now. Cool. I've been using the same computer since 2008 :hihi:

memyselfandus wrote:Ahmmmm I changed the titles of that thread. Let's get back on topic.
orly?

Ok, then how about this: Not fast enough. We still have WAY too many bottlenecks and problems. Bounce this, buffer that, have you checked your drivers? Blah blah. Seems the more you spend, the hungrier everything gets. I don't really buy-in to the idea that any of it "sound better" ... maybe in some ways.

Plus, you'll always get some fool who'll say "I'm running 608 instances of diva on my celeron at 32 buffer and 3ms" :roll:

I stopped playing the game. I have what I have, it's gonna have to be good enough. If it dies I have a backup.

@SSD: This isn't as bad as the nonsense was over people RESISTING AT ALL COST going x64 by any stretch of the imagination, but SSD is imnsho the most important thing you can have. Yes, it's THAT much better.

memyselfandus wrote:I've been using the same computer since 2008 :hihi:
Which will blow up once you hit 5000 posts...

For audio, every one can rock the same hardware and even the same software for as long as the machine doesn't completely blow up. I've hit the point where I'm very happy with my set up and software-wise, I'll be using Logic 10.2.2 , Reason 8.3, and Reaper 4.78 until the above-mentioned blow up. At that point, around 300 dollars will get me a pretty amazing upgrade in all those softwares.

Of course, anyone wanting to upgrade sample libraries, DAW software, (or even an update, as the case may be with the latest Logic one needed the very latest OS to run) will hit that wall where a computer upgrade is inevitable.

But in the last 5 years? Yeah, I'd agree with the cheapness of memory and SSDs. Buy that - keep the thing offline and buy a cheap tablet to go online with.

I guess the recent improvement is not comparable to the jump consumers got over the five years that started ten years ago, so it could be seen as underwhelming, but anytime you wait more than a few years for tech the upgrade is gonna be significant.

I just upgraded to a 5820k. (It OC'd to 4.4Ghz on air without a hiccup.. :o )
It feels to me like things have gone pretty far, because while I did have to spend maybe 15% (in unadjusted dollars) more for it than Ive generally paid for PCs in the past, this thing completely destroys the five years ago i7 in all ways. There was no consumer thing like it five years ago was there? Its a ridiculous beast.

I mention the OC though because for me it was an important tipping point.
I was deciding between a 4790k and 5820k. There was a lil bump in budget going to the 5820k and 2011-3 x99, that is not really worth it for a daw at all without the prospect of OCing the chip up to around 4790 core speed. Turns out, its no problem. A monstrosity on the cheap.

Im guessing a little, but doesnt it check out on any budget really?
Check out a cheap barebones 4790k daw build right now, and compare that budget to what it would have done five years ago? I cant imagine it doesnt eat it up.
ImageImageImageImage

I was one of the first to jump on the first gen i7's. It was great. BIG jump. When I built this one, all the "stats" and the "yak yak" was that i7 4770k (with "overclocking) was just the shizzle over that 860... wrong. Oh, it's "faster" but it's not as big a jump. Ironically I built this half gas/half thinking the generally shelf life is about 5-6 years ... and this new one is starting to take a dump (mobo) and the older one is fine (after being told how AWFUL MSI boards are :x )

There's no i7 like the first. :love: :)
Then we chase the dragon until quantum music machines bring the grandkids to paradise.
ImageImageImageImage

How far have computers come in the last 5 years? For DAW usage?

Well, far enough that I don't really miss that old 4-track cassette deck that I learned multi-track recording / overdubbing on!!! :hihi: :D :lol:

highkoo wrote: Check out a cheap barebones 4790k daw build right now, and compare that budget to what it would have done five years ago? I cant imagine it doesnt eat it up.
Difference isn't that big, just compared i5 budget solution from than and now, i5 2500k vs i5 4460/6400(little pricier), every now and than I build machine for fun sake and it doesn't get much cheaper or powerful overall for the same buck, Sandy Bridge is not bad for todays standards at all, we really need few more years IMHO.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Back on topic: last decade computers did not get smarter but people got dumber.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Has anyone ever actually even seen these "nanometers"...? :?: :roll:
ImageImageImageImage

Grizzellda wrote:How far have computers come in the last 5 years? For DAW usage?

Well, far enough that I don't really miss that old 4-track cassette deck that I learned multi-track recording / overdubbing on!!! :hihi: :D :lol:
Well, in my case (the rare case) yeah, duh! :lol:

But let's be honest, nostalgic people are trying like the dickens to make us go back to that.

Really the issue is that many/most companies that make hosts, don't give two rats asses. Just recently am giving reaper a whirl again. It's crazy light (even with the combined cpu use) Well, that's one :hihi:

Everyone else seems to think that they are fine, even though I hear the complaint about how they are NOT fine regularly. Workarounds? Can haz. But why?

BertKoor wrote:Back on topic: last decade computers did not get smarter but people got dumber.
Oh, where have I heard that before? :roll:

Dude, go back to doing whatever it is that you are so "smart" at and quit trolling these threads with your elitist nonsense.

SSD's...yeah, sure, Solid State Drives...my machine boots up in about 10 seconds, so that is pretty cool, man.

I have surely noticed a difference, much more I think, than could be felt with incremental CPU improvements...and I mean for DAW stuff. Maybe not for supercomputing galactic physics...but for DAW stuff.

And as a KVR poster, I care about DAW stuff.

But say, haven't computers been adequate for DAW stuff for quite some time now? Or do dudes just like talking on KVR about it? :D :hihi: :D :hihi:

And by "talking about it", I mean, like, well you know...about DAW stuff.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”