VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

exmatproton wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
foosnark wrote:Going through the presets, not yet trying much in the way of tweaking myself -- it is very FM-ish. While I was noodling on it my spouse commented on just how 80s most of it sounded. For a supposedly revolutionary new synthesis model it doesn't really seem to bring anything new to the table. There were a few standout patches, but I'm not sure they were the kind I'd actually use.

That said, the sound is quite good -- probably the best Tone2 synth so far, and lacking in whatever it is about the last several Tone2 synths that turned me off.

I'll explore sound design with it a bit and see if I can turn it to evil, but honestly I don't like the UI much and it doesn't seem welcoming at first glance.
I made (fairly quickly) some presets.

https://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/test001

https://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/test002

https://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/test003

---

Could i use other synths to do something similar? Yeah, probably :) Nevertheless, it was quite fun to get to these (simple) results with Icarus.
none of your soundcloud links open anything (at least, for me)...

have been using icarus for months now, and love it. it's in my core group of synth plugins (about 5, out of the 15 or so i own).
Sorry, wrong permissions. Should be fixed now.
ah, good stuff (from a very-cool plugin)...

foosnark wrote:Interesting examples. I'll definitely try to spend some time with it when I have a chance to.
You should. Sure, this synth can sound very trancy, fm and 80's. But it can sound completely different as well. I just don't think T2 is aiming for a niche market (IDM) (like so many synth makers btw...). And thus the presets and demo's are quite 'easy'/standard and recognizable, which is understandable.

Public Beta 2:

PC version download link (beta2):
https://tone2.com/Tone2_Icarus.zip

Mac version download link (beta2):
https://tone2.com/Tone2_Icarus.pkg

New features:
- The shape of the Step LFO can be drawn with the left mouse button. The right button edits a single step.
- Video tutorials can be shown by clicking on the help button
- Support for 22Khz samplerate

Enhancements:
- Enhanced some factory sounds
- Enhanced 'Create random patch'. It now gives more interesting results.
- Enhanced sound quality at 88 khz samplerate
- Better compatibility with Fruity Loops

Bug fixes:
- Fixed a hanging tone which could appear after demo timeout
- Fixed a wrong name in the about screen
- Fixed 'Action RMX 2000 SJA.fxp'
- Modwheel in patch browser sometimes showed a wrong value
- Fixed a wrong menu entry in the wavetable editor
- Fixed Modwheel value display
- Fixed Osc Volume value display
- Fixed a falsely appearing 'midi learn' when drawing the step lfo
- Fixed focus problems with some hosts
- Fixed a hanging note

I installed the latest Beta however the GUI does not display properly.

anyone else having this problem?
Win7 x64 SP1

upsydown wrote:I installed the latest Beta however the GUI does not display properly.

anyone else having this problem?
Win7 x64 SP1

Nooe. You tried a re-install?

yes I also installed on a laptop with windows 10 x64 with no problems.
Its a bit frustrating because i dont write tunes on the laptop, I only use the PC.

Did the first beta have this? In either case please email support[at ]tone2[do t]com with your specs and host. You probably aren't the only one experiencing this so it deserves support.

no problem here on win 7 x64 sp1

Could not confirm that GUI issue mentioned above with the latest Public Beta 2 here. I am using Windows 10 64-bit.

Got a full version key file from the official beta testing that also works with the public beta 2.
If i remove the key file from the vstplugins folder Icarus will start in demo mode. Using te demo mode also does not rseult in those GUI problems here.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

upsydown wrote:yes I also installed on a laptop with windows 10 x64 with no problems.
Its a bit frustrating because i dont write tunes on the laptop, I only use the PC.
Did you remove everything from the tone2/icarus folder when you deleted icarus?

Mmhhhh, after some days playing more with it i like it more and more. This thing can generate some nice moving sounds.
Still undecided if i take this or Serum next.
Both? Nah'...out of my budget :(

Cinebient wrote:Mmhhhh, after some days playing more with it i like it more and more. This thing can generate some nice moving sounds.
I'm liking the audio demos users are posting of Icarus. Better than the stuff I've heard from Serum. Serum is impressive, but somehow the sound just does not move me.

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Mmhhhh, after some days playing more with it i like it more and more. This thing can generate some nice moving sounds.
I'm liking the audio demos users are posting of Icarus. Better than the stuff I've heard from Serum. Serum is impressive, but somehow the sound just does not move me.
I agree. Best is to demo both and create own patches. So far i like the default patches in Icarus much more. Serum patches sounds all a bit to edgy and agressive for my tastes.
Icarus seems to offer more for ambient, atmospheric and cinematic stuff.
The FX in Icarus sounds far better too.
I wish Icarus had drop and drag modulation.
The workflow in Serum is a million times better.
But Serum seems to eat more CPU here.
The resynthesis in Icarus is not even close to the one in Alchemy 2. I wish it had a option to type in words for the vocoder (like Nave).
At the moment i would prefer Icarus but the Serum demo is an old version and i wait until there is a newer one. I´m not sure what was added and how the cpu usage is now.

Hi,

I have a feeling that Icarus vs Serum is going to be a big/popular topic on this, and other forums. :wink:

I have neither, waiting for Icarus to be officially released. I will then try to decide which one is more to my taste.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Return to “Instruments”