Xhun Audio LittleOne : version 4.x Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LittleOne

chk071 wrote:Ok, but don't you think, due to the non-existing limitation on software to not have to worry about costs when implementing hardware like knobs, it should be different, and on the GUI, there should be separate controls for cutoff and resonance? Not everyone has a midi keyboard which has knobs, or even uses a midi keyboard. It's really nice to have the controls on the GUI, and have them separated, instead of having to click a switch to switch the knob between cutoff and resonance mode. With all due respect to realism, and mimicing the hardware, that thing is a no-go on the hardware, and it's a big no-go in software. Controls on a soft synth ARE there to operate them with your mouse.
Yes, I know what you mean, it is the same objection some people moved to me just the very first days when I presented LittleOne version 1.0.

I can understand when people say "hey, virtual knobs don't cost money, why didn't you put them all on the panel?". :)

So, why keeping/mimic the original hardware also in this aspect?

The first thing I can say for sure (and all users agree with this,after they spent some time with LittleOne) is that the user experience is not slowed in any way. If you want to move knobs with your mouse, well, simply you can move them just one at time, in any case. You can have a virtual instrument with 100s of knobs, but you can edit, drag, twist only one knob at time.

If you want to design a preset directly from the gui and your mouse, there will be no wastes of time at all. If you use to edit/record parameters in real time during a performance (a practice that is allowed only using a minority of hosts like FLStudio for example), again - you can edit once at time.

Another reason : LittleOne's modulation engine/controls reside on the main panel and (as in the original hardware) ALSO IN THE OPERATING SYSTEM PAGES. So, if I choose to make all controls 'explicit' (= put on the main panel ALL the knobs, ALL the modulation switches, sources, destinations etc...) the GUI would be much more confusing :)

I think keeping the original design has a definitely minimum (or zero) impact on usage, and this keeps things coherent and 'good looking' in the gui, and...

...and let me say that : incredibly VINTAGE AND FUN !
for the ones who know what I refer :) : Who remembers the old days spent to program a HW synth like the Korg workstations (e.g.: Wavestation, Trinity, etc...) or some mid-80s analogue synths like the Roland JX-series, the Korg Poly-800, etc... or the Little Phatty itself :) Surfing all the OS pages, finding the hidden parameters... So many memories...

So I think the original design wins because, as I stated above, it has really minimum or zero impact on 'everyday usage' and keeps things 'clear, fine designed and vintage'.

Also: it would be simpler for me to use the "all knobs, together, here and now" gui approach, but I preferred to keep the original approach. By the way, maybe I'll add a second gui layout. The first is the original, the second is for people who want 'everything and suddenly' :) Just kidding, but I'm serious with this possibility. Just let me know what you think people !

By the way, the wide majority of Users do use a MIDI master keyboard and controls, so for them there's no problem at all, they can accede all parameters separately and at the same time.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Damn, why do devs always have to be so stubborn. :hihi: Well, it's your synth, and your vision. :) Let me just say that i disagree about the point of the user experience not being slowed down by that. You do need an extra click, and movement of the mouse to the switch which switches cutoff and resonance in any case. And it only would be one more control. And, if you take a look at other synths, virtual or hardware, they all have separate cutoff and resonance controls. It's the most used controls on a subtractive synth, i don't think there's a doubt about that, hence they should be easy and accessible, and i don't think they are, if you have the same knob for both, and you need to click the switch every time you want to change between them.

Anyway, as i said, your synth, your vision. :) Just wanted to express that it's a very important thing for me, and probably for a lot of users. Fair enough, if you want to keep things like they are. But mind that it IS a hardware limitation that one knob serves for both on the hardware, and quite a controversial one even there.

chk071 wrote:Damn, why do devs always have to be so stubborn. :hihi: Well, it's your synth, and your vision. :) Let me just say that i disagree about the point of the user experience not being slowed down by that. You do need an extra click, and movement of the mouse to the switch which switches cutoff and resonance in any case. And it only would be one more control. And, if you take a look at other synths, virtual or hardware, they all have separate cutoff and resonance controls. It's the most used controls on a subtractive synth, i don't think there's a doubt about that, hence they should be easy and accessible, and i don't think they are, if you have the same knob for both, and you need to click the switch every time you want to change between them.

Anyway, as i said, your synth, your vision. :) Just wanted to express that it's a very important thing for me, and probably for a lot of users. Fair enough, if you want to keep things like they are. But mind that it IS a hardware limitation that one knob serves for both on the hardware, and quite a controversial one even there.
So, your is a "+1" to my 'DUAL GUI' proposal/idea? :D

ETA for version 3 release?
A well-behaved signature.

xhunaudio wrote:
chk071 wrote:Damn, why do devs always have to be so stubborn. :hihi: Well, it's your synth, and your vision. :) Let me just say that i disagree about the point of the user experience not being slowed down by that. You do need an extra click, and movement of the mouse to the switch which switches cutoff and resonance in any case. And it only would be one more control. And, if you take a look at other synths, virtual or hardware, they all have separate cutoff and resonance controls. It's the most used controls on a subtractive synth, i don't think there's a doubt about that, hence they should be easy and accessible, and i don't think they are, if you have the same knob for both, and you need to click the switch every time you want to change between them.

So, your is a "+1" to my 'DUAL GUI' proposal/idea? :D
Ah, i missed that. Yeah, would be great if you could do that. :) That way you serve both purposes, a clean, clear GUI, and an "advanced one".

JerGoertz wrote:ETA for version 3 release?
After the Summer, at least. Need time to manage everything, presets, launch, AAX, ...

now that you are even considering a different GUI... may I humbly add a "+1" for it and a "+0.5" for the slim phatty front plate? :pray:

(I wouldn't go that far to ask for a skinnable GUI, since I'm not a designer, but I'm almost sure there are some guys here on KVR that could possibly lend a hand for that :) )

kylie wrote:now that you are even considering a different GUI... may I humbly add a "+1" for it and a "+0.5" for the slim phatty front plate? :pray:
hey kylie, eheh, it seems you are a huge fan of that slim phatty panel... :)

EPISODE 4 :

https://www.facebook.com/XhunAudio/phot ... =3&theater

X-TREME - Tube Distortion is a 1U Rack Module providing an accurate simulation of a Vacuum Tube to shape, color, distort, clip the input signal. In addition to the Load parameter (the heart of tubes clipping behaviour), the Pre and Post Gain parameters allow a wide range of waveshaping, from organic soft-clipping to acid 303-like extreme signal distortions.

EPISODE 5 :

FLANG-R - Stereo Flanger is a 1U Rack Module providing a 2-channel flanger. As well as all other modules available in LittleOne 3.0 rack, this unit has been completely redesigned from the ground up and now its DSP is far more accurate and more "musically sharp" than previous versions.

Updates to the FX as well, nice!

:)
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Updates to the FX as well, nice!

:)
Hi Jeremiah,

sure, 100% of DSP has been totally re-designed and re-coded :)

EPISODE 6

GAT3D - 16 Step Trancegate is a 1U Full-Rack Module voltage-controlled effect processor. This cool piece of gear will add tempo-synced, rock-solid motion to any preset, generating evolving rhythmic patterns. It can be considered as a "signal amplitude sequencer", and has been one of the most appreciated and useful features of LittleOne version 1.x and 2.x

EPISODE 7

XSQ16A - 16 Step Voltage Controlled Analogue Sequencer is a 1U Full-Rack Module providing a quick way to create phrases and sequences, the ideal companion in your Studio or on Stage. This easy to use, rock-solid host synced sequencer is very different from the one found in the previous versions of LittleOne. Instead of a MIDI sequencer (as XSQ16M previously offered), XSQ16A has a full analogue core with independent controls for Gate and Pitch. This allows the creation of more expressive sequences, with the possibility for example to change the Pitch of the previous step without triggering the current step Gate. XSQ16A is a monophonic sequencer.

EPISODE 8

LittleOne version 3.x will introduce a completely redesigned Presets management system. In the previous versions, presets were based on Steinberg VST's .fxb / .fxp standard. LittleOne version 1.x and 2.x presets were unreadable, "closed source" and "bank-based". LittleOne version 3.x will feature a redesigned concept for Presets. They are plain-text, human readable, "open source" and not "bank-based" : each Preset is stored into a separate file. No more Banks to manage and/or to keep updated.

Return to “Instruments”