One Synth Challenge #87: Podolski by U-he (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Podolski

ATN69 wrote:We all know you are crazy Steven, but that is a part of your charm :lol: ..just joking of course.

I can promise you that I always vote as I think and feel about a track. If I think your track deserve a 1 then I give it a 1. If it deserve a 3 then I give it a 3. I don't care who made it. When I vote I kind of listen to sound design, musicality, mixing and mastering quality and if the track have something special that I like I will also give a higher score. That's how I think about voting.
Well, that's you. And I appreciate it. But like I said, look at my final scores.

They will speak volumes.

wagtunes wrote:My problem, as I explained to another member here in PM, comes down to 3 things. ... I have no sense of rhythm. So my playing ability is severely compromised. Keeping a beat for me is hard enough. So genres that require extreme precision (dance, EDM, dubstep, etc) are very hard for me to pull off.

2) I am terrible with creating drum tracks, which kind of relates to number 1.

3) I have absolutely no training in mixing. Up until the last 2 years I didn't even know what a compressor did...
That's kind of my point... genres like EDM and dubstep don't really involve playing a lot, maybe a melody part or some chords... bits here and there, but rely a lot more programming and automation. You don't have to play well to program notes. But you have to think about arrangement and sound design to pull these off, which would force you out of your comfort zone. :)

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My problem, as I explained to another member here in PM, comes down to 3 things. ... I have no sense of rhythm. So my playing ability is severely compromised. Keeping a beat for me is hard enough. So genres that require extreme precision (dance, EDM, dubstep, etc) are very hard for me to pull off.

2) I am terrible with creating drum tracks, which kind of relates to number 1.

3) I have absolutely no training in mixing. Up until the last 2 years I didn't even know what a compressor did...
That's kind of my point... genres like EDM and dubstep don't really involve playing a lot, maybe a melody part or some chords... bits here and there, but rely a lot more programming and automation. You don't have to play well to program notes. But you have to think about arrangement and sound design to pull these off, which would force you out of your comfort zone. :)
Which would ultimately require a lot of research (listening) to the genres in question and dissecting how the tracks are put together. This alone could turn into countless hours of work, which is time I simply don't have to devote to this.

Instead of beating my head against a stone wall, I really should just forget about the OSC. I've tried to stay away. Managed to for a month or two. But ultimately I'm stubborn.

This is a case, however, where my stubbornness is pointless.

This competition is simply not for me.

Hey Steven,

But I have come in with a 50's 60's styled track this time - not EDM/Dance/Ambient - nada - just plain simple classic chords and instrumentation - and then there's the solo to add the guts.

This one (over at OSC 88TAL Noisemaker!) is for us oldies who remember those chords - C Am Dm Gaug etc etc ...

And YES, it has the obligatory 4 bar intro !!! Also short, so kudos to the Swinging Blue Jeans for "The Hippy Hippy Shake" at a mere 1min 43 seconds!!!
dB

@wagtunes

Steven, I do like your song in the current Noisemakercompetition.
But about getting so many 1's...
You wrote "So I usually just do a simple little jam over a sequence and leave it at that." :? :?
And I'm thinking: why WOULDN'T a simple little jam score (very) low when it's competing with lots of tracks that are well-composed, -produced, -mixed and -mastered?
Would you reward it? :( Personally, I do not feel like rewarding little leftover-jams. Whether it's done by taron, z, aj (they won't!!) or wag, I don't care.
And even IF some people would pick on you: If 70's style composing is your thing, I'd say: make every track you submit a 70's masterpiece.
If feel your current track is a good step on that road. :tu:

Uh: i am late: congrats to Jasinski, Z, Photonic, Irion Da Roninand Mr. J.Ruegg. Great sounds, great tracks :tu:
And also: congrats to all other members for making the great sounds and tracks with the poldi, an amzing contest :)

Have a great weekend
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

psmacmur wrote:Congrats to all the winners, such gorgeous tracks all. In terms of spurned faves, my champ'd've been Kraftraum's Rotation 25.
Thank you very much :)
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

My entry for this OSC is featured in this month's Open Source Musicians Podcast.

https://archive.org/details/OSMP78

I'm famous now :lol:

rghvdberg wrote:My entry for this OSC is featured in this month's Open Source Musicians Podcast.

https://archive.org/details/OSMP78

I'm famous now :lol:
Well done and congrats :clap: :clap:

BTW, before we leave this thread, one of my faves from this contest has had a slight makeover:-
https://soundcloud.com/richard-semper/m ... -tom-remix
(used sampled drums and Dune)
Enjoy :)

Return to “Instruments”