DingDong the Mac is dead

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reverend Rhythm wrote:I've been thinking about a new iMac... even planning on buying it. But I keep getting advice that the i5 iMacs are not powerful enough to run Logic with anything but basic tracks. A bit disappointing, but I'd rather hear it now than after I bought it!
Just buy one from Best Buy or any major chain that has a good return Policy.
Load up your biggest previous session and see how it copes. If it craps out, just take it back.

Reverend Rhythm wrote:I've been thinking about a new iMac... even planning on buying it. But I keep getting advice that the i5 iMacs are not powerful enough to run Logic with anything but basic tracks. A bit disappointing, but I'd rather hear it now than after I bought it!
quad cores will be fine

festeringheap wrote:Just buy one from Best Buy or any major chain that has a good return Policy.
Load up your biggest previous session and see how it copes. If it craps out, just take it back.
You can do that with Apple too. If you're not happy with a new Mac you can return it within 14 days.
Image Image Image Image

Thinking of getting the 5k iMac, seems pretty powerful. Am I right in thinking iMacs use desktop chips, not mobile versions? (Unlike the MacMini)

Here is what I ended up going with:

27" Radius Monitor - I had to get the bigger monitor if I wanted to be able to upgrade the iMac in the future
4.0GHz QC i7 - This was recommended a number of times. I think it will help to get me more years out of the computer.
16GB 1867MHz DDR3L (2x8GB) - I can upgrade later.
3TB Fusion Drive - the 1TB drive has a very small SSD drive. The 2 and 3 TB have larger. I made this decision with cost in mind. The SSD drives were very expensive.

The sticker shock put me on the floor, but I went ahead! Time will tell if it was a good decision.

Got my Mac back today - they fixed it for nothing because UK consumer rights allow up to 6 years coverage from purchase for certain types of goods even after the warranty has expired - the shop was really cool for letting me know that was possible even though they could have pretended not to know and made me pay (or buy a new Mac) and I wouldn't have known otherwise. So it now has a brand new motherboard, graphics chip and cpu. I was planning on getting a new Mac this year anyway but this gives me longer to wait for the new models to come out rather than be rushed into buying one of the current models.

aMUSEd wrote:Am I right in thinking iMacs use desktop chips...?
For some reason I don't think so, but I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this.

Fecking CR software - everything is working except for the dumb CR stuff that thinks my new mobo = new computer - having to reauthorise it all!

aMUSEd wrote:Fecking CR software - everything is working except for the dumb CR stuff that thinks my new mobo = new computer - having to reauthorise it all!
OK so the CR stuff is the worst if you have a new motherboard - one plugin has taken me several days to reauthorise due to a faulty CR process, another has wasted me an authorisation so I will have to go begging to the dev to get another.

On the other hand all my serial based and dongle based plugins were up and running straight away - no problems there

And so were the ones that use a software centre - Native Instruments, Arturia and even Cakewalk - even though these are ostensibly CR this system seems superior - none of these needed reauthorising and everything was good to go.

Interesting reading this thread, I'm in a similiar situation as my 2011 iMac died about a Month ago, I want a newer model soon anyway so I'm going for a BTO iMac 4GHz with a 512 GB SSD and will upgrade to 32 GB ram from a 3rd party. My feeling is it will be powerful enough for the next 4-6 years, the next iMacs aren't due for awhile apparently and I can't see any info on a huge increase in CPU performance when they finally released. I Think the 5K screen will be a nice improvement and make photo editing and text reading a much more enjoyable experience.

The cost of the unit is pretty high but I don't really see any other solution that gets my heart pumping faster..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I've been considering it as it's the fastest Mac currently but I really don't have space for another screen and if I did want to go ultra HD I'd rather get a larger 4K screen that can double for playing movies etc. It's annoying they don't have any models that are uptodate or powerful enough without screens now.

aMUSEd wrote:I've been considering it as it's the fastest Mac currently but I really don't have space for another screen and if I did want to go ultra HD I'd rather get a larger 4K screen that can double for playing movies etc. It's annoying they don't have any models that are uptodate or powerful enough without screens now.
Yes it's annoying, After over two decades of being a Mac user I've gotten thick skinned, I have a project that needs the computer so I can't wait any longer.

If I want a big 4K TV I'll just get one.. At present I don't have much time for TV/Movie watching.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”