Variable tanh() for saturation

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

juha_p wrote:Would

Code: Select all

2.0 / (1.0 + 2.71828182845904^(-2.0 * x)) - 1

be equal fast with

2.0 / (1.0 + exp(-2.0 * x)) - 1.0

?
YMMV, but generally speaking exp(x) is faster than pow(x, y).

Actually pow usually calls ln and then exp AFAIK.

Miles1981 wrote:Actually pow usually calls ln and then exp AFAIK.
Thanks for the info. After digging this a while I found this def:

pow(a, b) = exp(log(a) * b)
By ECMAScript® Language Specification there's almost 5 times more checking done in pow() call - http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/

juha_p wrote:

pow(a, b) = exp(log(a) * b)
Yeah, that's what I use. The log(a) part is usually a constant, e.g. log(2) or log(10), so you end up with just a single multiplication and exp(x).

juha_p wrote:
Also note that modern CPUs calculate two parts of the equation in division in parallel, so it's not very useful to make one part shorter than the other.
If you mean combining two or more different length formulas ... I would do it by switching the 'best' formula by size of the input x:
x=>0:x<=2 (formula 1),
x>2:x<=n (formula 2) and
x>n (formula 3)
No, I mean, computation time-wise, these formulas are equivalent to modern CPU:
1. a/(b*c+d)
2. (a*b+c)/(d*e+f)
While compiler can't optimize these out, CPU performs calculation in out-of-order manner using several arithmetic units.

By the way, branching is a bit expensive, so combining formulas for different ranges may be expensive, too.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:Things turned out to be fabulously simple. Here is the so far "perfect" variable tanh() function. No further search is probably needed.

inline double tanhm( const double x, const double m ) // "m" in range [0; 1)
To try understand what you're doing there, I plotted this method for few m values and the 2tanh() version (mentioned in post #1) with m=0.5 (x range [0;20]). Don't know the x range you use there but when m = 0.05, x=16.9 returned 1.000000000000000 (OOCalc accuracy).
Does this plot (in range [0:4]) look familiar?

juha_p wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:Things turned out to be fabulously simple. Here is the so far "perfect" variable tanh() function. No further search is probably needed.

inline double tanhm( const double x, const double m ) // "m" in range [0; 1)
To try understand what you're doing there, I plotted this method for few m values and the 2tanh() version (mentioned in post #1) with m=0.5 (x range [0;20]). Don't know the x range you use there but when m = 0.05, x=16.9 returned 1.000000000000000 (OOCalc accuracy).
Does this plot (in range [0:4]) look familiar?

Not sure what you are trying to understand, but the plot is correct. The orig_f() function is however just an intermediate attempt, and on your plot it has some discontinuity which is unexpected.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:By the way, branching is a bit expensive, so combining formulas for different ranges may be expensive, too.
No need to branch, just clamp the argument to min(8.8,max(-8.8,x)) as in my code above. For arguments outside that range tanh(x) is essentially +-1 anyway.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Not sure what you are trying to understand, but the plot is correct. The orig_f() function is however just an intermediate attempt, and on your plot it has some discontinuity which is unexpected.
Well, this area of DSP is new to me so, I'm just trying to understand why would you call tanh() with input values as like 100 (your guitar amp overdrive example) or using even higher input values (by other similiar threads here in forum) when the -1:1 range is reached with much much lower input values as martinvicanek confirms.

EDIT: Could that discontinuity come from data 'accuracy' ... x's are given as 0.05 steps?
Last edited by juha_p on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juha_p wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Not sure what you are trying to understand, but the plot is correct. The orig_f() function is however just an intermediate attempt, and on your plot it has some discontinuity which is unexpected.
Well, this area of DSP is new to me so, I'm just trying to understand why would you call tanh() with input values as like 100 (your guitar amp overdrive example) or using even higher input values (by other similiar threads here in forum) when the -1:1 range is reached with much much lower input values as martinvicanek confirms.
Convenience and efficiency. Branching is not efficient. Clamping is a little more efficient if SSE is used, but it's still 2 instructions on top of the overall formula.

How would this

type of system compare with the tanh() based system? Usable/unusable?

EDIT: This (spreadsheet) formula is improved version of the one seen in above image:

=IF(x>=0;IF(x<=m;x;IF(m+(k*(x-m))>ylim;ylim;m+(k*(x-m))));IF(x>=-m;x;IF(-m+(k*(x--m))<-ylim;-ylim;-m+(k*(x--m)))))

, which allows setting slope (1/1 and lower ... are usable values) and adjust y limit. Maybe not very efficient by OP's standards but hopefully usable for someone.
Last edited by juha_p on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Not great for the pipeline, as Aleksey said.

Miles1981 wrote:Not great for the pipeline, as Aleksey said.
Actually, I didn't mean the formula (one seen in plot is just for spreadsheet use and I'm sure it can be improved when brought into implementation) but the shape (linear vs sigmoid).

The thing is that you need something like a sigmoid if you want to be efficient. Nothing piecewise linear, because you can't improve it when grought into implementation. There is no way you get rid of the 3 different paths and not trash the pipeline without a cost that is equal or higher to either the trashing or the sigmoid.

Removed
Last edited by MrBeagleton on Mon May 29, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”