Do I need Serum if I have Diversion?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Diversion is the most played synth to me that for the first time I didn't miss my JD-990 anymore. It just sounds great and so playable for my type of music, everything just feels right.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

recursive one wrote:Serum is an "industry standard" and it has lots of features that can potentially interest me, like audio import, advanced wavefrom control, cross-oscillator FM, it has nice clear GUI, but something about its sound puts me off - too clean, to precise maybe - but maybe it's just because I still haven't found my own way to program it to my liking. I have the demo installed for about a year, load it maybe once or twice a week but still not sure if I can eventually warm up to this synth.

Diversion is kinda similar synth (at least it has all the above, maybe in different implementation), but I find it more musical sounding, despite it also sounds in that clean digital way. I have a license for it for a few months and generally I like it, however there is still much left to explore about it. But basically it seems to be a good alternative to Serum and I wonder why it doesn't have a half of Serum's popularity.

Tl;dr/ if you have both Diversion and Serum which one do you prefer? What Serum can do what DIversion can't or where does it outdo Diversion?
Too clean? Switch to the German or French filters. Diversion is awesome though. Get Serum anyway.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Or distortion :hihi:

Suddenly popped to my mind that D-Pole from Waldorf is pretty nasty.

recursive one wrote:Serum is an "industry standard"

..is it? :o :scared:

loachm wrote:
recursive one wrote:Serum is an "industry standard"

..is it? :o :scared:
Musicradar number 2 synth :tu: Funny that synthmaster is number 1 but afaik it's not considered as an "industry standard" :hihi:

No comments?

There is a big list of fine synths really and what one prefers is subjective.

I liked Serum the second time I demoed. It is a fine synth and for someone, it might be non replaceable by other synths. However, for me I have Dune 2 which cover what I want from Serum and I prefer it more than Serum or Icarus. But for the OP, it might be a different matter. His music is different than mine, so he is the only one can know exactly what he needs.

Diversion is different IMO. Very different. The nearest I have that capable of such detailed pluck sounds is ACE from u-he. I'm not sure about the bass/leads/pads similarity because in Diversion the pluck sounds what amazed me more than anything else.

Synthmaster is a wonderful synth, but I use it less than Dune 2 (and the holy three, Diva, ACE and Bazille) which are the most I'm using these days.

I don't know, I think it depends more on how we take advantage of the synths we have and how clever we are in using our senses and mind to decide which thing can fit us best from sound to arrangement to ...etc.

Are industry standards intented to create standard, industrial music, or both ? :help: Just joking, of course...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Well, actually now I think that I may need Icarus, it does most things I wanted from Serum and sounds more pleasing to me.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:sounds more pleasing to me.
We have found the winner :tu: Just don't buy second hand that you can get rid of it if you don't need it anymore.

Lejurai wrote:
recursive one wrote:sounds more pleasing to me.
We have found the winner :tu: Just don't buy second hand that you can get rid of it if you don't need it anymore.
I'd gladly "buy Serum second hand", if the price was right. I'm completely smitten with it, and can not foresee a need or desire to be rid of it, should I acquire it, so NFR is a non-issue. I wish I'd been in on the beta team for it.

I've been loading my wavetables, and "noises" into the demo, and it suits my needs perfectly, and I (personally) prefer it's sound, workflow, and aesthetic to Icarus, though the latter sounds 'fine', it's just not my "fine".

Kicking myself, that I missed the sale on Diversion a few months back. I'll definitely pick it up next time.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:I'd gladly "buy Serum second hand", if the price was right.
Yea sure, if the price was right.. Around 60€ or something :D
Shabdahbriah wrote:Kicking myself, that I missed the sale on Diversion a few months back. I'll definitely pick it up next time.
IMO sches has sales quite often (at least few times a year) so I'm quite positive you'll get yourself a copy soon. Awesome synth :tu:

Return to “Instruments”