Does anyone here still use Cubase 5 or prior versions?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just out of curiosity. Thanks :)

Yes, I have 5 running on Windows 10.
It is finicky with soundcards-
ie. my ECHO Layla does not work with it,
and I got a noise spike yesterday that crashed my AudioBox 1818

It's nice IMO.

Handling 6 inputs to an audio track is essential for me,
and it provides this

nix808 wrote:Yes, I have 5 running on Windows 10.
It is finicky with soundcards-
ie. my ECHO Layla does not work with it,
and I got a noise spike yesterday that crashed my AudioBox 1818

It's nice IMO.
I admire your glass-half-full outlook. :tu:

Yep. Still have V5. Use it fairly often. No problems.

Still use v4 :o
A well-behaved signature.

Bi shop takes qveen.
My YOUTUBE slideshows, etc. - https://www.youtube.com/user/samabate2k

Ive used Cubase 4 for the past 10 years or so. Was very happy with it though the past 2 years theee have been a few crashes that I cant seem to solve and so with Steibergs' 40% off upgrade I have taken the plunge into 8.5 Pro.

Will install and run it tomorrow when Ive got the day to set it up :/ fingers crossed but who am I kidding, it'll do somethings better and some worse for sure. I'll update what I think of 8.5 pro when its tested.

nix808 wrote:ECHO Layla does not work with it...
Cool. I never was able to get Layla to work with Cubase VST5/32, SX3, 4, or 5 under Windows 2000 and XP.
And the beat goes on...

I still use C5 and am perfectly happy with it. I run Win7 and have a yamaha N12. I am however thinking about upgrading with the 40% offer. Just mulling it over!

For those who are considering making the switch, I've done testing on Cubase 8.5 PRO having moved all my plugins and settings from Cubase 4 and it has been seemless and so I highly recommend it. I'm on Windows 7 64bit with 64bit installation and I have found the new interface to be just fine, very similar if not more convenient because there are now a couple of new customization options and easy movement within the menues.

I really like the Plug In Manager in particular - I've always needed/wanted this feature and I have spent a good hour sorting through all my plugins and creating custom folders to finally place all my EQs in one folder, COMPRESSORS in another etc (plus, you can move the order of them in any way so I can place my top used ones all in easy sight without scrolling for them). This has been a huge plus, especially in organising different companies' plugs how I want them.

I tested importing my tracks from Cubase 4 - they all loaded without any errors or issues whatsoever. I also drag and dropped my keyboard shortcuts file from the Cubase 4 folder to the Cubase 8.5 one and again it worked seamlessly. (what is good too is the 8.5 installation creates a shortcut folder in the start menu for 8.5 user settings folder so you can quickly access that folder, click back to go to Cubase 4 or whatever you're using and then copy paste whatever you want back to 8.5)

Overall and with only 1 day of testing, I'm very surprisingly elated and relaxed about the fate of my music making in the hands of Cubase. Its a relief so far and I hope this helps someone who is currently considering an upgrade before their product becomes legacy and cannot be upgraded!

I still use Cubase 5. The reason is that I was using Reason on my own computer until then, but Cubase SX on a friend's computer for collaborations. When 5 came out, I was a student and able to afford it with the educational discount. Now I'm a student again and considering getting 8 at some point, especially now that they have announced Cubase 9 won't support 32-bit plugins - 99% of my plugins are old and 32-bit! So while it's more likely I'll move to Reaper or Studio One, if Cubase 8 is available for cheap after 9 comes out, I might take the opportunity to jump on that...

Insanelysane wrote:I really like the Plug In Manager in particular - I've always needed/wanted this feature and I have spent a good hour sorting through all my plugins and creating custom folders to finally place all my EQs in one folder, COMPRESSORS in another etc (plus, you can move the order of them in any way so I can place my top used ones all in easy sight without scrolling for them). This has been a huge plus, especially in organising different companies' plugs how I want them.
I've been doing this for over 10 years simply using folders.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

I have Cubase 5 on Win 10. Still works fine.
I just posted in another thread that I'm going to upgrade/downgrade to Cubase Artist 8.5 from an Elements version I have though, for various reasons.

Also have an Echo Gina, an Aardvark 24/96, and an Emu interface that haven't been used in a lot of years.
I toy with the idea of getting a desktop with pci slots, and an old OS, but the drivers were never really that solid to begin with.
Don't really want to go backwards at this point either.
Currently using a Yam/Steinberg UR series - real happy with it.

Although I recently got the latest Cubase version under Win 7 64 bit, I have several lesser Cubase versions, and they're installed on lesser Win XP slave PC's.

Funny/yet untrue, I read 'somewhere' just last week, that if using VSTi System Link (may or not be directed at the current version of Cubase?), that you have to use the same-series versions...ie; Cubase 8 Pro, Cubase Artist 8, Cubase elements 8. This turns out to be FALSE information, and any Cubase versions with System Link can be used among systems.
BTW, System Link began with the last update to Cubase VST 5/32, but only works one-way as a slave. All other versions after this, entry level versions & freebee's, can be used both ways, as a master or slave. Obviously the latest/current version of Cubase is my main machine, while legacy versions are used to run as my slaves, running older 32 bit VSTi's, or whatever I want them used for really. If you don't take the 'typical upgrade' path, and have your older versions, they can be used with their own dongles on a slave machine..unless you have dongle-less versions.

Man you have the perfect setup!
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”