Leaving 32 bit plugins behind?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zexila wrote:
chk071 wrote:Well, he may have lower latency, but bridging will use more CPU. Not really a win-win situation, but his decision of course.
Sure, just like with bridging 32 bit plugins, but than he have higher latency and still use more CPU, so this way he actually wins. :tu:
In my case I am a hobbyist using mostly free vsts and haven’t come across anything that is not 32bit. I don’t have the full version of Kontact and use TX16WX as my sampler and have not come across any 4GB plus sample libraries that I want to use but if I did as others have said it would be easier for me to just bridge 64bit for that one plugin.

Of course people’s experiences vary and if it wasn’t for latency I would have gone 64bit a few years ago but I just thought I would share my reason for staying 32bit since it is not always fear of change, incompetence, lack of funds/hardware or other negative reasons.

I have Reaper on two machines, a mini-ITX media PC using onboard audio (ALC898 which is surprisingly good) to which I connect a keyboard and mic for live playing/singing (where latency is important) and a laptop (well a mobile workstation really 32GB RAM Core i7 4800MQ) with a Nanoface audio interface that I use for anything non live. I keep both at 32bit for consistency.

Perhaps at some stage there will be a really compelling reason for me to switch to 64bit although I admit I don’t welcome the chore of reinstalling everything!

I just don't like compatibility layers; Windows being what it is, I tend to distrust Windows emulating Windows. Maybe I'm just traumatized by early versions. Or maybe I've just lived through so many bit doublings (I started on a Commodore Pet, ffs!) that I accept the inevitability. Or maybe I just like having extra registers to code to.

Still... the shift from 32 to 64 bits hasn't really done much of anything. Going from 8 to 16 bits was huge; so was going from 16 to 32. Windows 95, for all its many flaws, was fantastic. So is Linux. But going from 32-bit XP (on a 64-bit CPU, btw) to 64-bit Win 7 hasn't made much of a difference. Indeed, it's brought me a bunch of troubles; do I install x32 or x64 versions of Python? (Let alone Python 2 or 3!) Or Mingw? Or Java? Or VST plugs?

And the geniune benefits of pure 64-bit aren't that huge. Having a few extra registers is nice, but not world-shattering. One less soft layer is also nice, but there are so many already that it isn't a big deal, and I hear the slowdown is miniscule anyway. So I really don't know. I like the purity and simplicity of going all x64, but I do miss Crazy Diamonds. Compatibility the whole point of Windows, after all.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'd intended to write a nice summary of the pros and cons, but ended up just kinda whining about my indecisiveness. Maybe I've ended up garnering sympathy for both sides. Or maybe there just isn't a wrong answer.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote:I just don't like compatibility layers; Windows being what it is, I tend to distrust Windows emulating Windows. Maybe I'm just traumatized by early versions. Or maybe I've just lived through so many bit doublings (I started on a Commodore Pet, ffs!) that I accept the inevitability. Or maybe I just like having extra registers to code to.

Still... the shift from 32 to 64 bits hasn't really done much of anything. Going from 8 to 16 bits was huge; so was going from 16 to 32. Windows 95, for all its many flaws, was fantastic. So is Linux. But going from 32-bit XP (on a 64-bit CPU, btw) to 64-bit Win 7 hasn't made much of a difference. Indeed, it's brought me a bunch of troubles; do I install x32 or x64 versions of Python? (Let alone Python 2 or 3!) Or Mingw? Or Java? Or VST plugs?

And the geniune benefits of pure 64-bit aren't that huge. Having a few extra registers is nice, but not world-shattering. One less soft layer is also nice, but there are so many already that it isn't a big deal, and I hear the slowdown is miniscule anyway. So I really don't know. I like the purity and simplicity of going all x64, but I do miss Crazy Diamonds. Compatibility the whole point of Windows, after all.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'd intended to write a nice summary of the pros and cons, but ended up just kinda whining about my indecisiveness. Maybe I've ended up garnering sympathy for both sides. Or maybe there just isn't a wrong answer.
I agree. For most things, I'm fine with the 32-bit inside 64-bit deal, but I don't really have a choice when it comes to Live. I just so happen to be on the last version without 64-bit support, so that's a bummer. Seems to work fine though.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

It has already been said, but in 64-bit programs tend to go 10 to 15% faster for various reasons (mostly the instruction set). I've seen that across several programming domains where programs are bound by the CPU.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

But on older processors the CPU-load of 64-bit is much heavier! .:(

zxant wrote: 
But on older processors the CPU-load of 64-bit is much heavier! .:(

What makes you think so? I had an ancient Thinkpad T61 here for a while, and it was working faster with 64-bit, not slower.

Measured that?

I was talking about CPU-load, not speed.

I didn't measure it, just my impression. At the very least, it wasn't slower, at all.

But if there's more CPU load, doesn't that automatically mean it's slower?

layzer is the man!
same here !
AND I LOVE CRAZY SYNTHEDIT STUFF

I recently downgraded my music computer from Win 8 to Win 7. For some reason, I started having problems with some of the free 32 bit plugins I had. I got j-bridge, which helped. But then I decided to change the plugin manager to look only to 64 bit stuff. I realize I haven't really missed the 32 bit stuff for the most part.

I did end up looking for a couple of the instruments, but when I reloaded them, I realized I had 64 bit stuff that sounded better. (memory is not always accurate)

So, my suggestion is put them in a folder somewhere, if you never use them, say for a year, dump them. Any you find you use? Move them into another folder so you know not to delete them.

This is interesting stuff, but I am wondering if in a few years from now we will be talking about 128 or even 256 bit systems...

That would be pretty cool, I think.

Grizzellda wrote:This is interesting stuff, but I am wondering if in a few years from now we will be talking about 128 or even 256 bit systems...

My 4TB of ram isn't cutting it anymore. I moved on to 64K video.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

dzilizzi wrote:

I did end up looking for a couple of the instruments, but when I reloaded them, I realized I had 64 bit stuff that sounded better. (memory is not always accurate)
Someone in this forum had commented about how much better KLC M1 was in 64 bit over it's 32-bit predecessor. At the time I didn't believe them. I finally installed the 64 bit version and... It does sound better to my ears. Same sound card.

dzilizzi wrote:
So, my suggestion is put them in a folder somewhere, if you never use them, say for a year, dump them. Any you find you use? Move them into another folder so you know not to delete them.
Good advice, I think I'll take it. I really don't have time for sorting through my 32 bit collection and honestly I'm happy with what I have now for the time I can allot to actually playing. Two jobs, life responsibilities, keeping up my multi-instrumentalist skills. etc. I just don't have time. The old vista computer is going nowhere. I can still pull everything up on it if I want to.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:
dzilizzi wrote:

Someone in this forum had commented about how much better KLC M1 was in 64 bit over it's 32-bit predecessor. At the time I didn't believe them. I finally installed the 64 bit version and... It does sound better to my ears. Same sound card.

dzilizzi wrote:
Good advice, I think I'll take it. I really don't have time for sorting through my 32 bit collection and honestly I'm happy with what I have now for the time I can allot to actually playing. Two jobs, life responsibilities, keeping up my multi-instrumentalist skills. etc. I just don't have time. The old vista computer is going nowhere. I can still pull everything up on it if I want to.
What a horrible bullshit??!!

There´s no sonic difference between 32 and 64 bit. The only advantage is, that with 64 bit plugins you
can adress more than 4 GB RAM (32-bit XP for example 3,2 GB RAM). The processors may get faster, but
this difference isn´t massive too. It´s your own subtil feel, that 64-Bit may sound better, but it
doesn´t.
And I can´t hear these discussions no more. If you want to use 64-Bit plugs or 32-bit with
j-bridge - do it. The only advantage is for using big sample libraries (500 GB for example) like
EWQL or so - if are you a full time musician and professional producer - alright. All other "fluffies"
bought their 64-bit as they always buy the newest smartphone, because mother "commercials" is
telling them.

I´m always using my fully developed XP with dualcore and my system is fast.
I can use my hardware synths and all my beloved 32-bit plugins and for sure, I´ll never leave them
behind. Should I trash my old vintage gear too? So I am with Layzer - XP forever!!

Grizzellda wrote:This is interesting stuff, but I am wondering if in a few years from now we will be talking about 128 or even 256 bit systems...

Nah, the next step probably will be nanobits quantum computing. :D :borg:

Return to “Instruments”