Doubts about PSU's and 50/60 Hz

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I have a small doubt about PSU's and the Hz:

I live in europe, so, all the instruments that comes here will work with 220V / 50Hz. So, my problem is this:

For example, look at the specs of this PSU /\, 120V/60Hz and a output of 4,5V / 600 mA. So, If I buy a US keyboard that comes with a US PSU, and the previous have a input of 120V/60Hz / and a output of 9V and 300mA (per example), and then I buy this:

with a input of 230V and 50Hz and a output of 9V-12V and 300mA, that 50Hz will matter if the keyboard have a power connector that needs 9V and 300mA?.

As long as the output is 9v DC and there is enough amperage for the device to draw, you'll be fine. I think things can get more tricky if you are using an AC>AC adapter... but since the output is DC, the frequency of the AC input shouldn't matter to the device.

justin3am wrote:As long as the output is 9v DC and there is enough amperage for the device to draw, you'll be fine. I think things can get more tricky if you are using an AC>AC adapter... but since the output is DC, the frequency of the AC input shouldn't matter to the device.
Many thanks for the response, now I know what to buy.

Regards.

A linear AC->DC supply designed for only 60Hz may have a bit more ripple in the DC output when used at 50Hz (depending on the caps used) - but this should have no real effect on most equipment

Input is irrelevant, just get a PSU with EXACTLY the same output values and you will be fine.
The 50/60Hz value only matters with alternating current on the input side, not with the direct current (where ideally no oscillations are present) on the output side.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”