Looking for a specific sound, asking what VST should be used.

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's wrong with hairy earlobes? (and why does it affect your music preference?) :ud: :P

wagtunes wrote: Silly me to think that prejudice would exist everywhere but in the world of music.
yes, you should think of it more as music is permitted a humble existence in the world of prejudice. it's one of the most wonderful ways we have of being able to tell who's alright. without music, how would we know?

plus music gives us such an easy way to be told anything. see, all the joy of music is really the much greater supreme joy of prejudice. try feeling more distain for others, you'll feel great about yourself!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

this again?

edm is NOT a genre...it isnt anything. you cant name a single edm track that isnt actually some other genre. "edm" is a made up term created by music industry marketers to make certain kinds of music more appealing to stupid americans.

it is the musical equivalent of the sandwich wrap. which is nothing more than a simple tortilla re-branded to be more appealing to stupid americans.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:this again?

edm is NOT a genre...it isnt anything. you cant name a single edm track that isnt actually some other genre. "edm" is a made up term created by music industry marketers to make certain kinds of music more appealing to stupid americans.

it is the musical equivalent of the sandwich wrap. which is nothing more than a simple tortilla re-branded to be more appealing to stupid americans.
hehehe...lol. You seem to forget that naming stuff is only an agreement between people. No matter how it was named or why...people call certain music EDM and they seem to agree about that, so ... you can disagree for all the good reasons you give, but the people will call it EDM and they know where they are talking about. And i guess that's what's it all about, labelling stuff so people know what the hell they are talking about when they talk about this stuff. 8)

Love this thread... :hihi:

I think it is more the term "EDM" that some here have issues with, not necessarily any one specific "genre" within that frame of reference, that is more or less loathed. "IDM" was equally if not more, vilified. For others it was mere mention of tarnce, or stuff made with "dub-turbo".

:tu:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

exmatproton wrote:

hehehe...lol. You seem to forget that naming stuff is only an agreement between people. No matter how it was named or why...people call certain music EDM and they seem to agree about that, so ... you can disagree for all the good reasons you give, but the people will call it EDM and they know where they are talking about. And i guess that's what's it all about, labelling stuff so people know what the hell they are talking about when they talk about this stuff. 8)
i agree with most of what you say. but my point is that the term "edm" is NOT agreed upon by anyone. if someone says "i listen to edm" i have no idea what they listen to. that conversation always needs to go on more. the term edm has NO MEANING...for anyone...especially the people who use it.
ImageImageImage

thecontrolcentre wrote:What's wrong with hairy earlobes? (and why does it affect your music preference?) :ud: :P
Hairy earlobes tend to be an age-thing - mostly happens with older folk. Older folk don't like that new-fangled noise coming out of their cabinet-sized wirelesses. (I'm 61, by the way, and really do shave my ear-lobes once a week...) (eeww!) As for my music preferences, check out my wonderful SoundCloud page...

Ayorinde wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:What's wrong with hairy earlobes? (and why does it affect your music preference?) :ud: :P
Hairy earlobes tend to be an age-thing - mostly happens with older folk. [...] (I'm 61, by the way, and really do shave my ear-lobes once a week...) (eeww!)
You're just a kid... {It gets worse} :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

BITWORD wrote: Wasn't it once called electronica?
electronica's just a random term that a few U.S. music "journalists" pulled out of their ass after they realized cool kids were making fun of them for calling everything Techno or Dance.

chaosWyrM wrote:
exmatproton wrote:

i agree with most of what you say. but my point is that the term "edm" is NOT agreed upon by anyone. if someone says "i listen to edm" i have no idea what they listen to. that conversation always needs to go on more. the term edm has NO MEANING...for anyone...especially the people who use it.
For loads of people, the term EDM has enough meaning. When i say i listen to I.D.M., most people don;t have a clue...E.D.M. is just a container, just like 'bass-music', 'i.d.m.', Jazz, Classical, Reggae. And some containers are a bit more specific compared to others. I agree that E.D.M is quite broad in terms of what fits that name. But whatever works for the people who use that term (i don't, b.t.w.).

exmatproton wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
exmatproton wrote:

For loads of people, the term EDM has enough meaning. When i say i listen to I.D.M., most people don;t have a clue...E.D.M. is just a container, just like 'bass-music', 'i.d.m.', Jazz, Classical, Reggae. And some containers are a bit more specific compared to others. I agree that E.D.M is quite broad in terms of what fits that name. But whatever works for the people who use that term (i don't, b.t.w.).
again...i agree with most of that. but saying edm is a container (which it is) is only partly true. people dont use it as a container term...they use it as THE term...without even considering that its meaningless on its own.

why on earth would anyone say they listen to edm...when what they listen to is idm? or witch house? or euro trance? or darkpsy? or high-tech? or any of the other eleventy hundred genres that reside within the edm container? if you say "edm" youre going to have to say the actual real genre anyway because no one knows what youre talking about. it makes no sense..."edm" as a term has no meaning if you need to elaborate every single time you use it.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
exmatproton wrote:

again...i agree with most of that. but saying edm is a container (which it is) is only partly true. people dont use it as a container term...they use it as THE term...without even considering that its meaningless on its own.

why on earth would anyone say they listen to edm...when what they listen to is idm? or witch house? or euro trance? or darkpsy? or high-tech? or any of the other eleventy hundred genres that reside within the edm container? if you say "edm" youre going to have to say the actual real genre anyway because no one knows what youre talking about. it makes no sense..."edm" as a term has no meaning if you need to elaborate every single time you use it.
And again. People don't care about the (right) stuff you say. They will use it anyway. It makes no sense indeed to me as well. It will, as is often with popular (pop) terms, die and people will invent something else.

If you would ask me, i would call edm a family of genres. However, tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands) people will use it as a genre. Why? Beats me...i guess because it is popular.

I guess, most people who listen to electronic music actually understand, maybe just by intuition, what is EDM and what isn't EDM. Darkpsy is not EDM and hi-tech is not EDM (I wish I knew what is the difference between darkpsy and hi-tech though, for me they mostly sound the same). IDM is not EDM either. I'm not sure if eurotrance still exists as a genre, but if it does, it may well belong to EDM.

For people who don't listen to electronic music it all used to be techno, now it all is EDM.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: For people who don't listen to electronic music it all used to be techno, now it all is EDM.
Yep. :P I often heard people calling everything with a 4/4 beat "techno".

chk071 wrote:
recursive one wrote: For people who don't listen to electronic music it all used to be techno, now it all is EDM.
Yep. :P I often heard people calling everything with a 4/4 beat "techno".
Lol..exactly my point :) people tend to use a "popular" word for the most bizarre stuff. Music genres are no exception.

Return to “Sound Design”