Ableton Push support is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

Moss, you are legendary! Thank you for all you do! You are the key to the cage windows was holding me in! :)

moss wrote: You can find the behaviour in the function "changeValue" in framework/helper/Utilities.js (line 20).
Can you please give me more detailed instructions on what i have to do?
I don't speak java. : :dog:

Thanks!

Hey everyone, do you think there is an advantage to upgrading from Push to Push 2? I've read it has better pads and is better built, anything other than that both for use with Bitwig and otherwise?

stamp wrote:
moss wrote: You can find the behaviour in the function "changeValue" in framework/helper/Utilities.js (line 20).

Thanks!
Did you solved this problem? I feel the same discomfort with knobs.

mrfrenkie wrote:
stamp wrote:

Thanks!
Did you solved this problem? I feel the same discomfort with knobs.
No :(

maschinelf wrote:Hey everyone, do you think there is an advantage to upgrading from Push to Push 2? I've read it has better pads and is better built, anything other than that both for use with Bitwig and otherwise?
The pads are definitely better. The difference is night and day between the responsiveness of the pads to pressure, in my opinion.

Considering you get polyAT with Push4Bitwig, that's no small thing. I am no expert on the polyAT market but I think it puts you in a rare category. I can only assume that polyAT is a target for Live 10. At least they built in polyAT support for both Push and Push 2...

Thanks. From what I've heard mostly, the pads are much better. I did come across a topic on the Ableton forum where some ppl seemed to find it unusable. Apparently, it works well for a finger drumming style of playing but not so much for keyboard type or melodic stuff. Maybe just some isolated issues though, cause they seem pretty responsive even for sustained notes from the videos I've seen.

Another concern is the brightness of the screen and pads with just usb power. Is it useable or very dim? I'd want to use it without the adapter quite often, so this is important for me. Also with the screen, if bitwig eventually implements some way to have the waveform display on the screen that would be insane. As it is, the visual feedback that's already available would be very useful, more so if it's bright enough with usb power.

Guys, I need your help. I suddenly have this error message: "Error in command array: Color parameter outside of expected range: Green". The error repeats each time I do something on the push2 (also with other colors). Display is not working properly. Seems connected with a java update and subsequent re-install of push2 I did. Any ideas? Thanks! Robert

Small update on previous post: Everything works fine after start-up. Error messages start after hitting certain buttons: "browser" and "scale" for instance.

Pfff. full re-install of Jurgen's script after deleting all files solved my issue.

maschinelf wrote:Thanks. From what I've heard mostly, the pads are much better. I did come across a topic on the Ableton forum where some ppl seemed to find it unusable. Apparently, it works well for a finger drumming style of playing but not so much for keyboard type or melodic stuff. Maybe just some isolated issues though, cause they seem pretty responsive even for sustained notes from the videos I've seen.
That's strange to me, to be honest. This one feels absolutely better for both finger drumming and instrumental work. Especially the improved responsiveness makes it feel like quite an upgrade.

Have you had a chance to try one out in person?
Another concern is the brightness of the screen and pads with just usb power. Is it useable or very dim? I'd want to use it without the adapter quite often, so this is important for me. Also with the screen, if bitwig eventually implements some way to have the waveform display on the screen that would be insane. As it is, the visual feedback that's already available would be very useful, more so if it's bright enough with usb power.
You really can't use it without the external power. I think I tried it once and that was enough :)

With regard to the waveform display, I believe that's just a matter of Bitwig providing such a thing as an output for scripts to consume. moss' display code should be able to incorporate it with relative ease!

moss wrote:
stamp wrote:Hi moss,

is it somehow possible to change the behaviour of the encoders?
I would like them to behave more like potentiometers,
no accelaration and same range as a potentiometer...
For a more analog feel 8)

Thanks!
You can find the behaviour in the function "changeValue" in framework/helper/Utilities.js (line 20).
Cool, i've fiddled around and got something that feels really good on device knobs, but now things like the volume sliders are way too sensitive when turning the pots on my push. Is it easy to handle the sliders different from the rotaries?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tested either versions of Push4Bitwig with OSX? I've installed fresh installs from the Github and the main website and neither seem to be working properly with the Push 2.

The lights on the Push 2 don't work. Only one or two are active.

Push4Bitwig advises to add device yet it is impossible to add device since none of the corresponding devices or file structure is visible on the screen in order to be selected.

Another minor issue not listed on the Github or on the main website is that the run.command file needs the user to set his/her permissions in order to execute it. Simple instructions and a quick fix can be found in this link. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/39 ... 0&tstart=0 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3986059?start=0&tstart=0)

I know moss is doing this as a free project and I really appreciate his efforts to get the community going with the Push 2. But I will be going back to Ableton until we have a properly working Push 2 solution for OSX. People who have a commercial interest in a project tend to dedicate more time to it. I along with many others would be willing to donate or purchase a solution like the PushR for Reason. http://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/ (http://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/)

Bitwig should really make it a priority to open up their API so developers can make use of the necessary data streams for waveforms and other functions. I just don't see any competent Push 2 user jumping ship to Bitwig until that happens. The sampling and sequencing workflow is just too good in Ableton with the Push 2 and to a lesser extent also with Reason 9.

Mainliner wrote:Hi everyone,

Has anyone tested either versions of Push4Bitwig with OSX? I've installed fresh installs from the Github and the main website and neither seem to be working properly with the Push 2.

The lights on the Push 2 don't work. Only one or two are active.

Push4Bitwig advises to add device yet it is impossible to add device since none of the corresponding devices or file structure is visible on the screen in order to be selected.

Another minor issue not listed on the Github or on the main website is that the run.command file needs the user to set his/her permissions in order to execute it. Simple instructions and a quick fix can be found in this link. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/39 ... 0&tstart=0
Sounds to me as extracting the files did not really work for you. What did you use to extract them?
The attributes for run.command should be already set correctly after extraction, that's why it is not mentioned.
Push2Display takes only care about the display. So if no buttons are lit and nothing works I guess the script files are not in the right place. Maybe you extracted them flat without the directories?
Also check for errors displayed in the script console: View->Show Control Script Console

Would it be possible to add an option to make the lights use the colors from the selected track instead of blue? I like how that behaves in ableton, as it makes it very easy to tell quickly which track is selected...

I might poke around when i have some time and look at submitting a PR, but I wanted to see if there's something missing from the API before i go digging

thanks!

Return to “Controller Scripting”