Arturia Keylab 88 cannot layer wtf!!??

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just had cause to create a layer patch on the Arturia Keylab 88, and I have found that outside Analog Lab - IE using it with any other software, it does NOT allow layering!!!

This goes along with it only being able to transmit on two channels, and again it flies in the face of the company spiel claiming it to be the "be all and end all" in the world of controllers!

This is juts a heads up for those contemplating buying one. Nice keybed and nice hardware s@#t operations for the most part.

Is layering up to the keyboard?
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

What do you mean by layering? Keyboard splitting maybe?

How can a MIDI controller layer sounds by itself? :scared:

szalonykp wrote:What do you mean by layering? Keyboard splitting maybe?

Not layering per se but being able to transmit the same note on two different midi channels.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:

Not layering per se but being able to transmit the same note on two different midi channels.
^^^^This.
It can only do a split using two channels, in single keybaord mode, only one channel is available. I guess I can "massage" the note ranges to get it done (although even then I'm not sure), but the point is with a modern controller (and one touted as a super controller) this should not be necessary..jeez even my (15 years+) Roland A70 can do a layer (and up to four parts as well!!)

It can be layered when using the dedicated Analog Lab VST software...but it is not available for anything else. I do nto want to use Analog Lab as I have far better software instruments.

miden wrote: It can be layered when using the dedicated Analog Lab VST software...but it is not available for anything else. I do nto want to use Analog Lab as I have far better software instruments.
They didn't claim it is a multi-timbrel workstation. They said it is a MIDI controller. I'm not sure I own a non-workstation MIDI controller that can transmit on multiple channels from the same key/pad/knob.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Where did workstation come into it???

They do claim it to be
"An extensive array of controls, a stylish yet amazingly lightweight design, and brilliant integration with laptops and tablets: KeyLab 88 is perfect for modern keyboard players, pianists, demanding stage performers, and professional producers who will not compromise on quality. KeyLab 88 sets a new standard in professional controller keyboards."

Now that does make it sound like it is the "ducks nuts" of controllers....well it does to me. Yet 15 year old controllers far surpass anything this can do.

rod_zero wrote:

Ah, ok - now I understand. But why do you need that working with a DAW? I understand that it could be useful with hardware synths, but can't you route the midi inside your DAW?

Agreed. I am not saying that the hardware shouldnt support it, but arent there midi routings and plugins that solve this problem?

I am using it with Cantabile 3 on a laptop for live synth/bass/keys performance. Yes I can do some tricks in cantabile, but it makes it reall awkward when you want to set up say three different soloing instruments for one song (it is the same with splits on the KL88 - only two channels is also an issue).

The arcane steps needed to re-assign parts channels and then setup multi-filters for each part to make sure some CC's are not being seen by some parts amongst other things. And even then it is not entirely successful and still requires compromises.

Look I can find compromises all day, but bottom line I am posting more to warn other potential buyers of some of the downsides. I also made a thread about the max two channel transmit as well :)

Great post! Many many thanks. I have my Cantabile setup to use with an Alesis Fusion workstation as a controller and I can send layers on 16 different channels if I want. I currently have it set up to send a layers on MIDI 1 and MIDI 2. I originally set it up with this way to organize what was going to be trigger by another controller. But, I don't really use it anymore. I guess I will have to change. I'm trying to replace the Alesis Fusion with the Arturia Keylab 88 and it's distressing to learn it can't do this. But you saved me a lot of searching. Thanks.

BTW, does anyone know what Multi mode does?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi tullsterx! As miden mentionned, it is not possible currently to send the same notes to 2 MIDI channels simultaneously.
On the KeyLab, you can select 1 MIDI Channel for each of the 2 parts of the keyboard split.
It was done this way because most people will have all the instruments of a layer on the same MIDI Channel, but it might not fit all the use cases.

The Multi button on KeyLab mk1 are dedicated buttons for Analog Lab to configure multi presets. I would suggest that you also take a look at the KeyLab mk2, the interace of which has been made more straightforward, but still sends MIDI to maximum 2 channels:
https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid ... i/overview (https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keylab-88-mkii/overview)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”