MakeNoise 0-Coast (Portable Analog Semi-modular Synth) for $499

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's easy to be a fan of someone who is genuinely enthusiastic about what they do. The passion is infectious. I was just getting into eurorack when Tony announced his first module... it's been so cool seeing how Make Noise and many other small brands have evolved since then.
Daags wrote:looking forward to seeing/hearing your own 0-coast inspired synth... if it's something that you share publicly anyway.
Oh I'll absolutely be sharing. Here is my early progress.

justin3am wrote:It's easy to be a fan of someone who is genuinely enthusiastic about what they do. The passion is infectious. I was just getting into eurorack when Tony announced his first module... it's been so cool seeing how Make Noise and many other small brands have evolved since then.
Daags wrote:looking forward to seeing/hearing your own 0-coast inspired synth... if it's something that you share publicly anyway.
Completely agree. I bought the first version of his ringmod and pretty much every module after that, up through Phonogene, before running out of space. It's been amazing to watch his company and product line grow from zero to where it is now.

I'll be following your synth with great interest!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

justin3am wrote:It's easy to be a fan of someone who is genuinely enthusiastic about what they do. The passion is infectious. I was just getting into eurorack when Tony announced his first module... it's been so cool seeing how Make Noise and many other small brands have evolved since then.
aye, I know what you mean. I've been living vicariously through community spirited modular enthusiasts for ages now and makenoise is a stalworth. I've been waiting to get the right balance of dough and spare time before I get involved in eurorack... a friend who lives in California now (absolutely no interest in music making, though is creative in visual fields) is coming home for a visit in Autumn and I'm going to do my best to blow a wad of all my 'disposable' dough on a carry-on sized case full of eurorack that he will graciously transport for me. american made modules. I've already started with some semi modular affairs. time to get balls deep in some bananajacks :hihi: ... though I won't be selling any of my existing gear to finance this new pursuit.

bookmarked your project! looking good

deastman wrote:I accidentally an 0-Coast.
:hihi: Indeed... that is how nearly all of my non-deliberate acquisitions occur. They suddenly materialize in my man-cave, and I'm (like) ~ Ooooh, how cool is that!
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:
deastman wrote:I accidentally an 0-Coast.
:hihi: Indeed... that is how nearly all of my non-deliberate acquisitions occur. They suddenly materialize in my man-cave, and I'm (like) ~ Ooooh, how cool is that!
My tenuous rationale was that I bought a Mother-32 when it first came out. That really wasn't quite enough on it's own, and I had ordered a second one eventually. But when the Minilogue came out, I cancelled the second M32 order and got that instead. I kind of feel like two or three M32's just isn't all that much more interesting compared to a single M32. But an 0-Coast, on the other hand, seems like it would be a very versatile and interesting companion to the M32. And maybe for my Tom Oberheim patch points SEM as well. It seems kind of strange that I'm apparently building up a whole collection of modular tabletop devices, completely separate from my main eurorack system.

Truth be told, the 0-Coast just seems like a really quirky, somewhat confusing box, which I expect to be very fertile ground for experimentation. I'm sure that it all seems extremely logical and elegant to Tony, but my brain doesn't appear to function on his level. Its like, I understand that my Maths is a dual slope generator- that's simple enough. But the sheer number of ways it can be configured is way beyond my childlike comprehension. And frankly, I think that's a good thing. I'll never be at a loss for new ways to delight myself.

more vidya ... this time from mr makenoise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGLQkF-dAA

I'm sure that it all seems extremely logical and elegant to Tony, but my brain doesn't appear to function on his level.
The idea of 0-Coast is that you get conventional east coast synthesizer made of fancy west-coast components. There is no simpler introduction to Eurorack madness that 0-Coast, it can only get weirder :hihi:

7:02 is when mindrape starts
https://youtu.be/hUGLQkF-dAA?t=7m2s
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
I'm sure that it all seems extremely logical and elegant to Tony, but my brain doesn't appear to function on his level.
The idea of 0-Coast is that you get conventional est coast synthesizer made of fancy west-coast components. There is no simpler introduction to Eurorack madness that 0-Coast, it can only get weirder :hihi:

I don't think I'd put it in quite those terms. I find the lack of a proper filter to be a bit of an oversight in representing the East coast style, but whatever. It seems more like the envelopes are the East coast aspect, and the tonal shaping of the oscillators is the West coast. Plus of course the Wogglebug-esque random CV source.

As for a simple introduction to modular madness, I was just being a little bit self-deprecating. I've been working with my Eurorack modular for twenty years now. ;)

deastman wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:
The idea of 0-Coast is that you get conventional est coast synthesizer made of fancy west-coast components. There is no simpler introduction to Eurorack madness that 0-Coast, it can only get weirder :hihi:

I don't think I'd put it in quite those terms. I find the lack of a proper filter to be a bit of an oversight in representing the East coast style, but whatever. It seems more like the envelopes are the East coast aspect, and the tonal shaping of the oscillators is the West coast. Plus of course the Wogglebug-esque random CV source.

As for a simple introduction to modular madness, I was just being a little bit self-deprecating. I've been working with my Eurorack modular for twenty years now. ;)
I can see why they didn't include a filter, but for me this is something that you'd use with something like a Mother 32.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think they missed a trick not making sure that the 0-coast could be unscrewed from its case and transplanted to a 3u eurorack ... ala mother 32, kraftzwerg, megazwerg et al.

tony says it is this way because they wanted to make it as, to paraphrase, 'portable/slim as possible with as good a build as possible' ... :shrug: ... i'd have happily taken an extra few % in length in any of the other dimensions which wouldn't preclude it from possibly being transferred into a eurorack rig in non-hacky manner.

zerocrossing wrote:I can see why they didn't include a filter, but for me this is something that you'd use with something like a Mother 32.
And this is precisely my intention! :hihi:

about 1.5 minutes longer than it needs to be... but it's a nice & rude sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLbcR45dx-0

moar vidjas:

"PART 1: Self Oscillation - Raw and Experimental (with delay added half-way through using the Strymon El Capistan)
PART 2: Duophonically Sequenced with the Korg SQ-1
PART 3: Arpeggiated via MIDI with the KMI QuNexus
PART 4: With Eurorack - Sequencing via Intellijel Metropolis, Processing via Mutable Instruments Clouds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhInFABM0eQ

deastman might find this one interesting, a 0-coast and mother-32 jam... albeit using three (!!) mother-32s.

"Triggering a Make Noise 0-COAST and 3x Moog Mother-32 synths with MIDI clips from Ableton Live. All audio is from the 0-COAST and Mothers (bass and pad from the Mothers, arpeggiated notes from the 0-COAST). Only MIDI notes are being sent from Ableton, with all modulations coming from the synths. An iConnectMIDI4+ is sending MIDI to the four units via MIDI DIN connections. Reverb and delay is from Ableton. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMAcfWSDhts

moar mother-32 x3 + 0-coast ...and reverb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJBEXC5PKB0

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”