Ohm Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ohm Studio

obstgegenrechz wrote:just started to use Ohm Studio, usually using beloved Reaper...
i also find the workflow quite difficult to get around, but i also know that there is potential in learning how to use stuff.

first thing which for me is a total minus:
zooming in and out of my project and moving on the timeline (which i find one of the absolutely fundamental things to do, just like zooming and moving in photoshop) is a pain. to zoom in i have to go to the top bar, and there finally i'm allowed to use my mousewheel to zoom, but then the animation is soooo slow that i have to put a LOT of effort to get where i want to.
This for me is a bit of a general thing: there is too much animation for my eyes and its slow. at least it feels slow :)

the piano roll keys are way to small and i could accept the inline editor, if it would be handy. zooming in vertically also increases the size of the track and the others, or maybe i'm confused now :)

love the idea of ohm studio and i love the usability of reaper (also because i can assign my own key commands)

i'm sure ohm force can fix anything :) love the stuff you guys do! <3 <3 <3
Hi obstgegenrechz,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, that's very useful for us. Obviously you don't know yet how to work fast (really fast :P) in Ohm Studio but it's interesting to see what you didn't find.

The overall idea is that while you can zoom like in other DAW it's generally the slow way to do thing. In Ohm Studio it's rather "i want to see that" and it's zoomed.

- click the square in the middle of the header of any clip to zoom it. You'll do that 99% of the time. Hit esc to zoom back. Hit esc again to see all project. There you go: very fast navigation with most of the needs covered.
- hit Z to zoom fit the selection
- double click a clip to zoom it vertically but not horizontally
- alt L to zoom fit the current loop
- in the transport bar, drag horizontally the border of the yellow square to zoom fast
- classic zoom is handled through g and J keys. It's used to fine-tune after the main fast navigation (typically when you have long clips to edit in detail). That being said, with zoom loop, it's rarely used for advanced users.

You may want to have a look at the documentation:
http://www.ohmstudio.com/doc/keyboard-shortcuts

We're not very patient people so rest assured we made sure navigation was fast. It's just that because of the "edit in context", where all the parts are always shown in position the same time scale than everything (something we felt very important) we had to move from some conventions for greater good :)

With this you're worries with piano roll should go as well. If you need more defintion you can ctrl mousewheel to zoom vertically. Also note that you can increase clip height to get more octave displayed by grabbing the track limits or by right click menu on the track. You can also have the arrange/midi view full screen (P and O)

AstralExistence wrote:
elxsound wrote:I still find it interesting that this garnered very little attention here on KVR (in comparison to other DAW's).
maybe cause the interface is ugly as hell. how many people actually like the color yellow let alone a gui pasted in bright yellow. type in 'i hate the color yellow' in google. exactly.

and,
The most popular color in the world is blue. The second favorite colors are red and green, followed by orange, brown and purple. Yellow is the least favorite color, preferred by only five per cent of people. and whats with the danger tape.

calm blue is my favorite color.

bumble bee approved. bleh.
I am calling a bluff. :hyper:

Red_Force wrote: Hi obstgegenrechz,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, that's very useful for us. Obviously you don't know yet how to work fast (really fast :P) in Ohm Studio but it's interesting to see what you didn't find.

hey Red!

thanks very much for all your advices and i'm happy to launch ohm studio next time to check out all the things you point me to.

i was looking around the ohm force forums whether there is a way to load presets from ohmstudio's UI, and most posts seemed rather dated. i would be very surprised to learn that there is no way to load plugin presets host sided...

thanks for your help & attention!

have a good day!
<3

Well you'll be surprised then. It's on the list but in the survery we conducted, it was not a big priority for users so we're rushing on other features for now (currently: off line mode)

Has anyone here met their yin to their yang with this program? I think it would be cool to meet that person that can fix all their crap and add a whole lot to it. I'm definitely a believer in that (and think there's someone out there that can fix all my dogshit music and I can help them as well)? Isn't that kinda the idea behind this? Maybe I don't quite understand how it works. Still haven't tried it...kinda like an online dating site for music?

No, it's more than that. It's a virtual studio online. Sure it helps musical dating, as other site does, but more importantly it makes the process of distant collab more convenient.

There is a small yet regular crowd in the weekly events. Some loose band formation have expanded upon that. Some jazz formation here for instance. Two brothers already connected meet an Australian drummer.

https://www.ohmstudio.com/node/196826

So I get quoted a price of just €32.61 (I don't have to pay VAT thank god) for Ohm Studio pro, that is with Ohm Boyz and MiniMonsta included.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, what is the catch? 8)

Next week users who don't have to pay VAT can get Ohm Studio Pro XL for just €41.39

It comes loaded with MiniMonsta, Oddity + OhmBoyz, Predatohm, Hematohm, Mobilohm, Quad Frohmage, Ohmicide & Ohmygod

Numanoid wrote:Next week users who don't have to pay VAT can get Ohm Studio Pro XL for just €41.39

It comes loaded with MiniMonsta, Oddity + OhmBoyz, Predatohm, Hematohm, Mobilohm, Quad Frohmage, Ohmicide & Ohmygod
VST or just native to Ohm Studio? (I already own G-force which are my go to tbh)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

thanx, please forgive my laziness...that's kind of tempting :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Numanoid wrote:So I get quoted a price of just €32.61 (I don't have to pay VAT thank god) for Ohm Studio pro, that is with Ohm Boyz and MiniMonsta included.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, what is the catch? 8)
catch is version 2 has been coming for 5 years, it's a very basic program, personally i consider it abandon ware.

Don't forget the plugins included are only working in ohm studio, not the vst's.

Pro tools first is FREE and cloud collaboration from the bigger brothers is coming ASAP. Remember ohm force also charge for cloud space after a certain project number.. PT gives you three free projects. (ohm gives you 10 free, admittedly).

I mean why not do it properly, with a daw that makes ohm studio look rather weak? Just be a tiny bit patient for them to bring pro tools first to the 12.5.1 version of the standard pro tools. It's coming........ ;)

Only main limitation is 16 audio tracks.. you can still use plugins and have pdc etc.. 16 audio tracks is a lot more generous than ableton give in their lite version that costs money LOL. (well, with an interface). You also get 16 instrument tracks and 16 midi tracks.. that's actually enough to do full scale compositions, really. The only other notable omissions for kvr ers is sibelius notation and track freeze (doubtful you will need it with the track limitation in any case). Note.. this might change with 12.5.1 and collab features.. not sure.. they might included freeze.
They even include the full version of air music xpand 2 (aax only) and 20 plugins.

Only real caveat at present is patience for the 12.5.1 update of PT free. But really, how many people use ohm studio? it can't be that many.

Well, the idea was interesting.

Actually, I thought it was long gone abandonware myself until this popped up.

Seems PT First has way more "catches" than Ohm Studio.

No VSTs, less tracks, less projects...

Instruments have the same limitation (not loading in other apps).

Online collab already works in Ohm Studio (saves the used samples and references to the VSTs online), instead of being a "upcoming feature" in PT First.

And subjective, but I own Xpand2*, it is nice, but I much prefer Minimonsta and Oddity to it.

*Also I can load it as a VST in Ohm Studio, so...

ontol wrote:the small print at the bottom of the pricing page:

** Included as native Ohm Studio plugins. VST and AU versions that can run in other hosts are sold separately here
Kind of goes without saying at that price it is locked into Ohm Studio.

With those plugs it is nevertheless a nice sandbox DAW, like Reason before RE

And unlike Reason it allows for loading of VSTs, but a bigger drawback is that it only handles 32 bit plugs at this time :(
Ohm Studio handle 32 bist version because it's the largest base of existing, working and stable plugins. 64 bit plugins will be added later on.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”