Creating Synthesizer Sounds for Electronic Music - a MOOC

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Berklee College are running a course on Coursera titled Creating Synthesizer Sounds for Electronic Music. It just started this week and lasts 4 weeks so there's still time to enrol. It's free if you don't need a graded certificate or $49 if you do. The tutor is Loudon Stearns and the synth used is FXpansion Strobe2, for which you'll be able to download a 90-day demo version.

I've enrolled just to get to know Strobe2, so maybe I'll see you there.
Last edited by garryknight on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the heads up,sounds good.

Got a link?

I've taken the course, thinking I might learn something. It is so basic that if there is anybody here who gets anything out of it, they have never used a synth before in their life.

I'm not knocking it if you know nothing about synthesis, but if you know even a little bit, you won't get much, if anything, out of this course.

Now, the songwriting course with Pat Patterson (which focuses mostly on lyrics) is definitely worth taking. All my years of songwriting (almost 40) I learned something. And Pat makes it very interesting. Loudon, on the other hand, is a total snooze.

It's here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-synthesizer
wagtunes wrote:It is so basic that if there is anybody here who gets anything out of it, they have never used a synth before in their life.
Yes, it's very much for beginners. Or people like me who want to get to know a synth with a 90-day demo period, rather than the normal 30 days.
wagtunes wrote:Now, the songwriting course with Pat Patterson (which focuses mostly on lyrics) is definitely worth taking.
That'll be Pat Pattinson. And I agree. He's got a wry, amusing presentation style that had me laughing out loud a few times. He does cover song structure, though, as well as just lyrics. I know you know this, Steven, I'm just letting others know.
Last edited by garryknight on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duplicate post. [Hmph!]

garryknight wrote:It's here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-synthesizer
wagtunes wrote:It is so basic that if there is anybody here who gets anything out of it, they have never used a synth before in their life.[/url]

Yes, it's very much for beginners. Or people like me who want to get to know a synth with a 90-day demo period, rather than the normal 30 days.
wagtunes wrote:Now, the songwriting course with Pat Patterson (which focuses mostly on lyrics) is definitely worth taking.
That'll be Pat Pattinson. And I agree. He's got a wry, amusing presentation style that had me laughing out loud a few times. He does cover song structure, though, as well as just lyrics. I know you know this, Steven, I'm just letting others know.
Yes, structure was covered in depth but music was almost not touched at all. It was almost like an afterthought. The course was more about lyrical story and not so much about making music. But it was still a great course. One of the most fun I've ever taken.

garryknight wrote:Berklee College are running a course on Coursera titled Creating Synthesizer Sounds for Electronic Music. It just started this week and lasts 4 weeks so there's still time to enrol. It's free if you don't need a graded certificate or $49 if you do. The tutor is Loudon Stearns and the synth used is FXpansion Strobe2, for which you'll be able to download a 90-day demo version.

I've enrolled just to get to know Strobe2, so maybe I'll see you there.
I plan to do this course. Have previewed it and I like Loudon's style and that he goes into arrangement techniques also :tu: ! They seem to have changed their system to that you have to pay if you want to do the assignements and get graded for them but that's ok.

There is a rerun of the course starting on 4th of July!

Return to “Instruments”