Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

ImNotDedYet wrote: True, I agree with you. But in the CPU use for when not in use - this is a patch where all the modules are actually used. I just wasn't playing or sequencing it yet.

I certainly hope they're able to find and make CPU improvements.
that was my wider point, the modules appear to be 'free running', not driven by connection, not driven by input. this is some ways makes sense. midi input and sequencing is not obligatory for making sound in a modular system - you might generates drones using lfos, s&h , or even interference patterns from oscillators... look at something like the 'krell' patch, no midi, sequencing to be seen :)

whilst perhaps initially seems odd, there is an advantage with this approach in that cpu load is constant.
anyway, Im no expert on this, someone like Urs perhaps could comment on why this approach is good/bad.

optimisation, from what Ive seen so far, I think softube modular is single threaded, so making it multi-core, and careful placement of modules across cores, could bring us quite a bit more power.
(I say this, as when I do multi voice patches, I always run them on separate DAW tracks to place across cores, doing this, I usually find 4 instances of the same patch, often doesn't take much more than one instance)

thetechnobear wrote:someone like Urs perhaps could comment on why this approach is good/bad.
I haven't played it in a over a week but I remember I couldn't fully make sense of what's using CPU and when.

Thing is, it's going to be insanely difficult to make this multicore. This will only work for certain patches with limited feedback and dependencies, e.g. a poly patch might be threadable, while a complex machine with loads of cross-modulating LFOs won't. Not sure if it's even feasible to think about this as an optimisation. Other ways may be more promising. Only Softube knows.

It definitely is having some graphical issues once things start getting very complex. The little fade they do with the connections was causing crackling on my machine every time it happened once I had over two rows of modules running. And the CPU was otherwise manageable at that point.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

thetechnobear wrote: that was my wider point, the modules appear to be 'free running', not driven by connection, not driven by input. this is some ways makes sense. midi input and sequencing is not obligatory for making sound in a modular system - you might generates drones using lfos, s&h , or even interference patterns from oscillators... look at something like the 'krell' patch, no midi, sequencing to be seen :)

whilst perhaps initially seems odd, there is an advantage with this approach in that cpu load is constant.
anyway, Im no expert on this, someone like Urs perhaps could comment on why this approach is good/bad.
Agreed. In a modular system, it's not as if the oscillator isn't still performing it's job even though it's gated off.

thetechnobear wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote: True, I agree with you. But in the CPU use for when not in use - this is a patch where all the modules are actually used. I just wasn't playing or sequencing it yet.

I certainly hope they're able to find and make CPU improvements.
that was my wider point, the modules appear to be 'free running', not driven by connection, not driven by input. this is some ways makes sense. midi input and sequencing is not obligatory for making sound in a modular system - you might generates drones using lfos, s&h , or even interference patterns from oscillators... look at something like the 'krell' patch, no midi, sequencing to be seen :)

optimisation, from what Ive seen so far, I think softube modular is single threaded, so making it multi-core, and careful placement of modules across cores, could bring us quite a bit more power.
(I say this, as when I do multi voice patches, I always run them on separate DAW tracks to place across cores, doing this, I usually find 4 instances of the same patch, often doesn't take much more than one instance)
"free running" is most probably what it is, or at least part of it. i.e the modules (mainly VCOs/LFOs) always process and provide audio/cv at there output wether you patch them or not. The advantage here is to keep the phase running as it is in analog and many digital hardware VCOs. There are tricks they could apply to lower the CPU while cables are not connected by advancing only the phase without processing the rest.

Having said that. If I where to program it personally without having to emulate some hardware. I would preferably shut down the processing of the unpatched module. Having the phase stop and back again as you patch and unpatch does have an advantage too of creating different timbres every time. This is similar to what happens when you mix two different VCOs (equally pitched) that are placed on two different cabinets/racks!!. Each time you switch the power off/on on one or both racks the two VCOs would have different phase differences between them. Which can be musically useful
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

twolegstoneworks wrote:Has anyone been able to use the demo in Ableton Live 9.6 (64 bit on Win10 64 bit)?

Live wont even open!
Just downloaded the demo (with the same setup as you) and get the same problem. Seems to scan the VSTs OK but as soon as it hits 'Loading template set' on the progress box Ableton instantly crashes .... As soon as I uninstall the VST/i Live goes back to normal working order

It seems to me that the only practical way of supporting multiple cores is to put the responsibility for managing threads onto the user... Similar to the way the old Nord Modular worked. You'd have racks partitioned off for each thread, and you'd only allow data (audio, cv) to flow in one direction through the thread chain. So you could have feedback loops within a thread, but not across multiple threads.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

mcbpete wrote:
twolegstoneworks wrote:Has anyone been able to use the demo in Ableton Live 9.6 (64 bit on Win10 64 bit)?

Live wont even open!
Just downloaded the demo (with the same setup as you) and get the same problem. Seems to scan the VSTs OK but as soon as it hits 'Loading template set' on the progress box Ableton instantly crashes .... As soon as I uninstall the VST/i Live goes back to normal working order
This is a known problem, a workaround is to run Ableton Live in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

do_androids_dream wrote:
felis wrote:I still wish Clavia would do the G2 softsynth thing, other than the demo.
If only.. :cry:
Click HERE :tu:

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Help me KVR! I'm on El Crapitan and have the plugin installed just fine, but it says I've go NO modules installed. Very, very weird!
nomodules.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Didi you authorize them via the ilok Licence Manager?

*EDIT* - got it handled, there was some hiccup in the Softube Plug-in Control installer where it only installed the top level modular items, not the individual module pieces. So I'm good now. Phew!!

-------------------------

Just the modular and modular fx, they're installed just fine on my iLok. The plugin opens no problem. I don't see any other modular related licenses in my iLok account to be installed.

Just more background info: besides being on Mac 10.11.5, all my DAWs are 64bit.

Softube only has one software installer, so I'm not sure what else I could have messed up here.

guy check this URL ;)
It is patch of doepfer module...
http://www.modular-planet.de/modular-planet-survey.html

hivkorn wrote:guy check this URL ;)
Okay, there are like a gazillion things on the page. What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?

wagtunes wrote:
hivkorn wrote:guy check this URL ;)
Okay, there are like a gazillion things on the page. What exactly am I supposed to be looking at?
Pick a sound that you think might be interesting, click in the patch column to see how it's patched, click on the mp3-column to listen how it sounds.

Return to “Instruments”