Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder, if I started a thread for us to just play our favorite patches/guitars on, if anyone would give more than zero f...ks :shrug:

Probably not, but I might start one anyways.

yes, the television musicians were often brilliant. my fav might be the 'underdog' theme.

i'd definitely be down with a guitar playing video thread...

incubus wrote:I wonder, if I started a thread for us to just play our favorite patches/guitars on, if anyone would give more than zero f...ks :shrug:

Probably not, but I might start one anyways.
hmm .. interesting idea. Probably difficult to get more than a couple people to participate.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

i'd be there... not so much to post my stuff (you probably already know where that is), but to hear from the rest of you. it's always great to hear another 'new' player, and get some perspective from it...

(edit: i mean 'new' in the sense that they're new to my ears, but maybe not-so-new in that they may have been playing for some time)

SJ_Digriz wrote:YAY! It's finally here.
Does it live up to your expectations for a holy grail?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I don't know about "holy grail". It is dead on for the era. The 58' is darker sounding than the 59's. I like that sound. If you want to just plug an LP into a JCM800, this would not disappoint. The main thing is that it is harmonically even across the entire fretboard. It doesn't get all squeely when your playing around 13->20 like so many of the modern models do. It's so hard to find a guitar that doesn't sound like an entirely different axe above and below 12.

I will say I'm happy with it. I have 1 niggle. There is a dead note at b10 . It's not dead dead. But it does not resonate and sustain like the rest. In reality it probably isn't bad, it's just that the other notes around it that sing like crazy that makes it seem dead when I land on that note. It's not horrible, just not super amazing awesome.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Somebody has to periodically inject bass content...

Just picked up a Schecter Stiletto Session fretless. I was actually looking around for currently-produced basses using active EMG's other than Spector Euro/NS models (which I've owned before but are a bit uncomfy for me, since the short upper horn makes for a long reach to the first frets). Stumbled across this line, then saw they came in fretless models, which is cool since I haven't had a decent fretless in a long time. I figured that, in addition to getting a fretless back in the tool box, with an EMG 35J and 35DC and running at 18V, it would be a bit of a variation on the sound I get from my Ibanez SRT900 (which has a pair of 40DC's).

I didn't really set out to buy another lower-cost bass, but this one just seemed to tick the boxes (EMG's, narrow nut width, appealing body/headstock shapes, etc.). Very nice playing and sounding bass. With the active EMG's, it sounds articulate even with the Ernie Ball flats that came on it - I don't think I'll even need to swap them for rounds. And yes, those are actually ebony inlays (not plastic) that are exposed on the side of the fingerboard and also serve as side position markers. That's rather different.
Schecter_Stiletto_Session_4FL_650h.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

As usual, you hit the mark!

Ok, I can't find a pic, I'm probably not going to buy it (because I'm not god's gift as a player) and I'm not even sure it's a decent price (though seems about right)

Grover Jackson GJ2 at my local GC. It's 1299, it's a hardtail, and apparently is a sought-after guitar.

But for that price, I could custom spec my MUCH/LONG wanted ae6 Carvin.....so not likely. Thought I'd just mention it f shizzles.

Natural finish, single neck/hum bridge and an "standard" looking hard-tail bridge. Looks like the street was near 2k+ (depending)

Maybe tomorrow I'll make some shmuck pull it down to play (it's in that super upper area, of course! ) :lol:

They also have a VA that I'm not interested in, but it's always interesting when they get "cooler" models in at this local.

EDIT:

Two things: The Grover Jackson is pretty meh. I mean, I was never going to buy it anyways but it's a boring guitar. Second, it wasn't a VA, it was a Suhr :dog:

Didn't bother pulling that down, not going to get it. Costing out down payment/time on the AE6.
Last edited by incubus on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never be intimidated by a guitar because your think your skillset is unworthy. Actually I've found that simply due to the inspiration of having a dream guitar has prompted students to become more involved with the instrument.

As fir my own experiences growing up. Friends would go out and buy the cheapest piece of crap and lose interest quickly due poorly setup guitars with fret buzz and or high action and or sharp edges on the frets cutting them and or bad wiring. Sometimes I thought if they just bought a decent guitar they might have stayed with it. As for myself... I borrowed guitars until I could afford a 335. I saved like mad and when I got it I was quite happy. Not that I can save like that these days.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Dammit all I'm getting a Yamaha Variax Standard. I'm tired of waiting for someday.

This is the one

well sort of, I'm getting a white one.

It's not the price that made my decision on which variax to get as much as it's the neck.

I've owned Yamaha Pacifica's in the past. One of them was my practice guitar that I'd keep in the trunk and play between shifts working two jobs. I loved the neck, wasn't crazy about the pickups. I'm less crazy about the magnetics currently installed on the model I'm getting but I'm not buying it for the magnetics.
Last edited by tapper mike on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am currently saving up for this beauty and Komplete 11 !!

Ample Guitar TC II
"Proud Steinberg Cubase 8.5 User ever since Cubasis AV"

I'm very curious about the Variaxes - please let us know how it works for you (in terms of switching between tunings and guitar models - in other words, all the Variax goodies). I would also be curious how it sounds/plays as a regular guitar, as I have been thinking about the James Tyler LP-body style Variax.

Well it looks like we'll both have to wait a bit for my answers. It won't arrive for a week and then I'll prolly just play it and ignore the outside world before drawing any conclusions.

I've been trying to find a nice clean one of these for months but it's finally happened :party:

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”