Free true peak limiter VST Maxwell Smart (v2.0)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maxwell Smart

Hello all!

It's been over a year since Lively Audio has been active, but we're back with version 2.0 of our free true peak limiter / loudness maximizer VST plugin Maxwell Smart. The first version was originally posted as an entry to the KVR DC12 contest and received very positive feedback, especially for it's sound.

In addition to previous versions, the new one introduces built-in ISP (inter-sample peak) detection equivalent to 4x oversampling (without any of the artifacts or heavy CPU load). It's been tested by using true peak meters that comply with the latest ITU, EBU and ATSC recommendations for true peak detection. There are also 3 modes for controlling the sound (smooth, normal and loud), and the GUI has been updated to look like it wasn't designed 20 years ago. :)

Maxwell Smart 2.0 is created with FlowStone, so it's 32-bit and Windows only.

More information and the download link can be found from Maxwell Smart's KVR page. Have fun, and please leave a comment!

We will also continue developing a commercial version of Maxwell Smart, simply called Maxwell, and finish a new reworked beta as soon as possible. Maxwell will have up to 8x ISP detection and full control over the sound, along with many other features. We're planning on publishing Maxwell later this year, so stay tuned!

- Lively Audio

LivelyAudio wrote: please leave a comment!
Your feet are too big for your body, please release a new version.

j/k I'm downloading this intelligent plugin asap

Edit: Ok, got it, loud/normal/smooth seems to be decay time? I don't read readme's, the threshold could go farther, I'm testing it in Savihost w/a wav song, in a real host you'd increase volume before it to do that. Cpu is about medium at 9% (Savihost's reading).
Last edited by RunBeerRun on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I really like You compensated latency of 4ms cause this is one of my first choiches on master..!

Thanks and greetings from Sick-cily

Someone has to do it: OSX ?
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

RunBeerRun wrote:Ok, got it, loud/normal/smooth seems to be decay time?
Thank you for testing! The modes change both attack and release times. Compared to normal mode, smooth = faster attack / slower release, loud = slower attack / faster release.
Turello wrote:I really like You compensated latency of 4ms cause this is one of my first choiches on master..!

Thanks and greetings from Sick-cily
Great to hear you like it, thank you!
chokehold wrote:Someone has to do it: OSX ?
We're very likely switching to C++ in the future, which enables us to write 64-bit plugins for both Windows and OS X.

Thank you.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

sad

RunBeerRun wrote:
LivelyAudio wrote: please leave a comment!
Your feet are too big for your body, please release a new version.
:hihi:
[Insert Signature Here]

Virginy wrote:sad
:cry:
[Insert Signature Here]

I am on mac now so i cant test it but v1 was my favourite free limiter (it was on par with tonebooster cm imho!)

fwsuperhero wrote:I am on mac now so i cant test it but v1 was my favourite free limiter (it was on par with tonebooster cm imho!)
Glad to hear you liked the v1! There are a lot of great free limiters out there so I feel very honoured. Right now we're working on the commercial Maxwell I mentioned earlier, but right after that we'll concentrate on bringing our plugins to Mac users as well.

@Virginy: what is sad? I've tried just some minute on a rough mix with low headroom and works great..! o.O

Great news about mac support.
Btw. i dont think it is just one of the best in the freeware world. I think it can compete even with big names limiters (even you couldnt shape dynamic enough with v1).

I'd be glad to hear more opinions about the new version of Maxwell Smart. How does it sound? Are the controls simple and useful enough? How does the GUI look? Have you done more thorough testing and how did it go?

Turello wrote:I've tried just some minute on a rough mix with low headroom and works great..!
fwsuperhero wrote:Great news about mac support.
Btw. i dont think it is just one of the best in the freeware world. I think it can compete even with big names limiters (even you couldnt shape dynamic enough with v1).
That's really nice to hear! Our goal is to bring something new to the scene, and I strongly believe we're going in the right direction with the Maxwell family. Let's just hope users feel the same way! :)

I was just browsing and came across this page again.

I was curious to see if this Plug-in would block Inter-Sample-Peaks for me without damaging the source.

I set Waves L2 how I wanted it with the out ceiling at -0.2.
Inter Sample Peaks were showing on 'Solid State Logic X-ISM'.

I simply inserted 'Maxwell Smart (v2.0)' after 'L2' and it blocked the ISPs with no problems that I could hear.

Threshold: 0.0 dB [Note: lowering the threshold also worked well]
Loud, Normal and Smooth. ISPs were blocked in each case.
Ceiling -0.2 dB

Just a quick test and I'm very happy with the results so far.

Thank you. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Effects”